High tensile woven wire (red brand)

The place to start if you are new!
Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Re: High tensile woven wire (red brand)

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:25 pm

farmerjan wrote:I know you have done more fence in a year than I have in a lifetime, so I am not refuting your recommendations. However, here there is just about next to no one who will put up 2-3 strands of barbed wire above woven and no one uses the 39". I have seen more deer get themselves hung in high tensile that is 6-10 inches apart on the top wires, and I know that our cattle will put their heads between the 2 wires if they are that far apart on top. But again, that is just what we see around here. Many fence builders, will let the fence run straight across some swales rather than follow the ground closely and the deer will go under as often or more than go over; unless you are trying to make it multi-purpose for sheep/goats also. I want the taller fence with usually 1 strand barbed wire on top.

HAHA...if your cattle are sticking their head between the top two wires you need more grass :lol:

Don't take me seriously...I'm just foolin around!!!!

Tim
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:So farm and fence is a 39" with one barb run over the top a good route to go? Or if you only have 39" should you run two strands of barb? Thanks guys!

Tim

It really depends on the application. We do quite a bit of 42" fixed knot with one barb on top. Usually, the bottom of the fence is 6" or so off the ground, and it would be a low pressure fence. This is generally what we build for the folks that like to mow under the net wire, and the neighbor doesn't have a set of bulls on the other side from their cow herd. With pressure on it, it would be one barb under, and two over for us. We do quite a bit more 1348-12 fixed knot with a barb over, and one barb belly high, than any other spec of fence. Also do a fair amount with a hot wire on top so that electricity is plumbed in for rotational grazing temp fence.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:53 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:So farm and fence is a 39" with one barb run over the top a good route to go? Or if you only have 39" should you run two strands of barb? Thanks guys!

Tim

I'm saying at least 2. Either 7inches apart. Or with deer traffic a couple inches above net and 12inches above that. I like to run a third hog ringed to the top of the net. It doesn't cost that much. Back in the low tensile days it made a difference. And honestly, it's kinda become our trademark locally. Certainly not absolutely necessary with good high tensile wire.

All of our netwire is built on the ground. Sheep and goats and hog /predator control in mind.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:22 pm

I guess it is what is common in certain areas. I will rephrase and say that there are very few fences in this area that are 39" with 2 strands on top. I personally cannot remember seeing any "shorter" "field fence". I did say "next to no one" was putting 2 strands of barbed wire on top... I will make it a point to look when I am going down the MULTITUDE of roads that I travel to and from farms to test. Many places will put a board on top as there are alot of horse people in this area too. But off the top of my head I cannot think of one place I have seen the shorter 39" wire. I put about 2500 to 3000 miles a month on my vehicle traveling around to farms. I can say there are no 39" fences on any of the farms we rent or lease. A couple have a barbed wire fence through the woods where it is thick and on some of the back fences where there is ledge and banks and gullies that is more to keep the cattle from trying to roam than to really "fence them in". It's there just to discourage them from following a deer path for miles to a neighbors....Some are only 3 wires, but most are at least 4 or 5. There are not alot of "nice looking" stretches like in your pictures for us to fence... I am in Rockbridge County... it is not just named for the "Natural Bridge" that is rock... it is rock and more rock.

Any we build is very close to the ground if there is a chance we will have the sheep in it. We do not have to deal with hogs at least.
1 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:02 pm

https://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/d/ ... 17636.html

If anybody is close, I'd like to have a roll of this for comparison.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:32 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/d/330-net-wire-rolls-47/6631517636.html

Alibaba is probably just a click away.
:lol2: :lol:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:49 pm

greybeard wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/d/330-net-wire-rolls-47/6631517636.html

Alibaba is probably just a click away.
:lol2: :lol:

I get emails daily, and phone call weekly from wire factories in China. They will put any label I want on it, and believe it or not, a few containers of Chinese trash with Tornado labels have made it past the US customs experts. Needless to say, it's not good. I'd just like to have one roll to stretch next to real wire.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”