How to castrate in a one man operation?

The place to start if you are new!
T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm
Location: SE Kansas
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by T & B farms » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Anyone have a link for this? The ones I keep finding are outrageously expensive. I could see this being very handy

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8444
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 pm

T & B farms wrote:Anyone have a link for this? The ones I keep finding are outrageously expensive. I could see this being very handy

I'm not sure where I originally found the info but here is what I have.
Stephca Enterprises, Inc
Greenville, TN
423-636-1952.
I think I gave less than $250 for it 2-3 years ago. I'm very happy with it.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm
Location: SE Kansas
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 8 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by T & B farms » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:58 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
T & B farms wrote:Anyone have a link for this? The ones I keep finding are outrageously expensive. I could see this being very handy

I'm not sure where I originally found the info but here is what I have.
Stephca Enterprises, Inc
Greenville, TN
423-636-1952.
I think I gave less than $250 for it 2-3 years ago. I'm very happy with it.


Thank you very much. I will give them a call

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8444
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:23 pm

Not sure why I can't find more info. If you find more please post it.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1216
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm
Location: KY
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by Lazy M » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:44 am

kenny thomas wrote:Not sure why I can't find more info. If you find more please post it.

$250 is a good price. This thread made me curious and the ones that I've looked up have been$600-800.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8444
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by kenny thomas » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:23 pm

Lazy M wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:Not sure why I can't find more info. If you find more please post it.

$250 is a good price. This thread made me curious and the ones that I've looked up have been$600-800.

The ones I'm finding now are that high also. When I bought this one it was 2 people in a small shop building them. I am not sure why I can't find any info now unless they h ave been bought out or stopped producing them.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by sstterry » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:03 am


User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12237
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 52 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:43 am

sstterry wrote:Here is the cheapest I can find.

https://www.chiefprods.com/RAU_Animal_Immobilizer.htm


Looks like my vet will have to keep getting kicked.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4000
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 23 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:42 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
sstterry wrote:Here is the cheapest I can find.

https://www.chiefprods.com/RAU_Animal_Immobilizer.htm


Looks like my vet will have to keep getting kicked.


Anyone ever tried that contraption from Jeffers or Valley Vet that I thing is called “cow can’t kick” or something like that?
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13846
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by Nesikep » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:07 pm

How about this way?
Image
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9782
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 47 times
Contact:

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:19 pm

ouch!
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:33 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:50 pm

I will probably buy one to try. I like the unit that is all contained in the probe instead of the extra box like above.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8444
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by kenny thomas » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:03 pm

I use one because I buy calves almost every week. Mostly thin rough calves that need worked and a better home. I might get 1 or I might get 6 at each market. Hard to get someone to help for just a few. As soon as I unload I vaccinate, work, castrate, and tag. If I only got a couple that day or if I got several I still don't have to get anyone to help.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 881
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by sstterry » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:23 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote:I will probably buy one to try. I like the unit that is all contained in the probe instead of the extra box like above.

Let us know how it works. I am curious about the single unit.

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:33 pm
Location: SW Michigan
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Post by NonTypicalCPA » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:54 pm

sstterry wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:I will probably buy one to try. I like the unit that is all contained in the probe instead of the extra box like above.

Let us know how it works. I am curious about the single unit.


Will do.

Post Reply