How to castrate in a one man operation?

The place to start if you are new!
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Re: How to castrate in a one man operation?

Postby kenny thomas » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:28 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
T & B farms wrote:I just ordered one to try. Figured I’m not out much if it’s junk. Hoping it will make freeze branding a little easier. Should get to use it towards the end of next week.

Let us know what you think. What is the cost of freeze branding. I have bought a couple cows that have been freeze branded but never tried it.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

T & B farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby T & B farms » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:31 pm

kenny thomas wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
T & B farms wrote:I just ordered one to try. Figured I’m not out much if it’s junk. Hoping it will make freeze branding a little easier. Should get to use it towards the end of next week.

Let us know what you think. What is the cost of freeze branding. I have bought a couple cows that have been freeze branded but never tried it.

The actual cost of doing it is very cheap. It is the supplies/ equipment you need. Good set of clippers( I prefer cordless) and a set of irons. I use nitrogen to brand because I have a guy just up the road that fills nitrogen tanks, so it’s easy and cheap to get some. Seems a lot of people prefer dry ice, but I found it to be a major pain.
I will update on the imobilizer
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:25 pm

I ordered one & got it delivered. May not need it for a while, but for that price, had to try it.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

T & B farms
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby T & B farms » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:57 pm

I used mine yesterday. Overall I was pretty unimpressed. There was a very fine line between too high and not enough. Too high and they would jump around like they were having muscle spasms,(only way I can think to describe it, is it was like they were humping like a dog with it set too high) to low and they would still kick when branding. There was a sweet spot (lack of better phrase) that was very hard to find, and varied from calf to calf. Also, had a very hard time keeping it in. They kept pushing it out. It does seem to be built well.
Overall I was pretty disappointed. Was under the impression that it would completely keep them still, but that was far from reality. There was definitely less kicking than with the imobilizer in.
I’m curious to how others get along with theirs, please post up your thoughts
3 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby jehosofat » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:47 pm

T & B farms wrote:I’m curious to how others get along with theirs, please post up your thoughts

Pretty sure it's only real popular in San Francisco. :lol:
2 x

quartermeter
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby quartermeter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:44 am

I rigged up a small pulley above the calf’s head attached to the head catch with a piece of wire should’ve took a picture. I used a 1/8 nylon rope tied it to the calfs tail Went forward thru the pulley then tied it back behind me. Calf didn’t move. Gave weigh 2-250 pounds.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”