Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: How do you do it?

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 pm

TCRanch wrote:
snoopdog wrote:
Workinonit Farm wrote:
:nod: To this, I would add Snoopdog's suggestion of different ears for different sexes.
Makes it easier to remember if you tag the girls in the right ear, "the female is always right ", no confusion with hired hands ,or anyone else , on this we ALL agree . And if not ,may god have mercy on your soul.

Well now it all makes sense! When we first started a cow/calf operation my husband said to tag the steers on the right, heifers on the left. Guess who's running the ranch now? But no way am I switching all the ear tags!

This is very amusing! I've always tagged males on the right ear and females on the left ear.
2 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 pm

We use a different color. All bulls/steers get a yellow or an orange tag. Whichever I have the most of that calving season when I can buy them on sale.... If known they get their momma's number. If not known, they get a generic number and then I watch to see who matches up with who. Same with heifers, but they get green unless they are definitely on one of my cows as opposed to my sons. Mine get white tags. If they aren't a sure thing, they get a green tag and then any that are mine that I decide to keep as a replacement gets my tag and the number I want her to have for life. Easy to sort them at pastures if they have a yellow/orange tag from any other color. Since most are sold, it isn't a big deal to change the ones in the heifers ears of the ones we are keeping, when they get bangs vaccinated.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:28 am

Heifers would get their own unique tag number. Steers got a white tag the same as the dam. When I had several born the heifers got their number, then the steers were tagged "A", "B", "C" etc. Then like M-5 suggests I would record which steer nursed which cow and which heifer nursed which cow, and the date of birth etc.

We calved year round. If you don't catch the calf early, you often have to wait until you get them in the alley etc. It also depended on which pasture they were in at times.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:58 am

I use to try to tag heifers in the right, bulls in the left but it became too much of a PIA. I usually tag them down the line now and I don't want to have to go from side to side. At the beginning of the year I pretty much get all my tags for calves in zip lock bags ready to go starting at 1. I label the bags by the property and always keep a bag of blanks so if one gets messed up I don't skip that number, I just write it in. In my tally books and spreadsheets I make a note like 67Y, 34G, bwb... cow tag, calf tag, and a calf description.

On some of the Brahman heifers or some thing I know is going to be kept I go ahead and give them a "cow" number in sequence with the cows in the right ear and a tag with the brand and phone numbers in the left ear like the rest of the cow herd. If we keep any heifers other than those its easiest just to cut the "calf" tag off and re-do it when we brand and give vacs at weaning.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:50 am

You might find this helpful Vetrock:
https://www.uaex.edu/publications/pdf/FSA-9603.pdf
I tag at birth coded to the dam & also use a different color tag for sex. Heifers kept as replacements get a permanent tag based on birth year and calving order as discussed in the article above. I also ear tattoo in the case of tag failure. On the initial tagging of the cow herd, it might be helpful to record their approximate birth year via the last digit on their bangs tattoo. Happy tagging!
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:57 pm

I quit tagging anything. Every cow is different, every calf is different. Just gotta pay a lot of attention to them. Learned this milking Holsteins.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:23 pm

TexasBred wrote:I quit tagging anything. Every cow is different, every calf is different. Just gotta pay a lot of attention to them. Learned this milking Holsteins.

I agree. But I still tag at birth. Biggest reason I tag them is when you have a controlled breeding season and you’ve got 30-40 solid black calves within 6 weeks of each other it’s dang hard to keep up with who’s who. Especially in winter when I’m feeding right before or sometimes after dark.
All is well unless one is a little sick acting and you want to check him again in the morning or some scenario like that. I could manage without tags but sometimes they really help.
1 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Vetrock
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Vetrock » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:42 pm

Thanks for all the reply’s.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”