Cut or keep?

The place to start if you are new!
gizmom
GURU
GURU

Re: Cut or keep?

Postby gizmom » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:18 am

MR

Your right, notice I said if structurally correct and gaining 2.5 to 3.0 pounds per day and has good genetics. Once they pass that hurdle they have to hit all the numbers as far as performance as yearlings. We usually have two or three that get culled as yearlings. We steered out 36 nice calves this year all but one or two could have been registered. We were at a Cattlemen’s meeting a packer was the guest, he said the biggest problem the purebred industry had was they wouldn’t use a knife. If you ever go bull shopping and they tell you they don’t have any steers run!

Gizmom
2 x
Respect give it to get it!

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:55 am

Just for the record, I agree that most registrable males should be cut! As noted above, we have sold exactly one registered bull, as a calf, to a guy who was going to put him thru his paces to see if he stacked up. We don't keep them past 6 months because we don't run a separate herd usually, so when they hit 6 mos, they are gone or steered by then.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm

Just for your info - it is sooooo much easier to castrate at birth. Until you are "looking" for a bull you might want to consider doing this.
I breed each and every cow/heifer for a heifer. I never plan a mating and say, "this should make a great bull". Nope. If I happen to get a good bull, so be it, bonus for my bull buyers.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Just for your info - it is sooooo much easier to castrate at birth. Until you are "looking" for a bull you might want to consider doing this.
I breed each and every cow/heifer for a heifer. I never plan a mating and say, "this should make a great bull". Nope. If I happen to get a good bull, so be it, bonus for my bull buyers.

We usually do steer at birth or within a few days. But we moved our calving season up this year and we had a couple bull calves born in pretty gnarly weather, so we decided to wait. The vet will castrate when she does preg checks. (We band when we do it at birth).
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:29 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Just for your info - it is sooooo much easier to castrate at birth. Until you are "looking" for a bull you might want to consider doing this.

I find some cows make great bulls, but can't make a heifer to save their life.. nice meaty bull/steer calves but the heifers always end up lanky and 2 dimensional. Those cows are typically terminal cows around here. I want offspring from the ones that whether it's a heifer or a bull, it's going to be a nice calf... Sadly, only about 25% of my cows fit into that category so far
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Beginners Board”