Bull advice

The place to start if you are new!
elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm

Re: Bull advice

Postby elkwc » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:08 am

Bfields30 wrote:
elkwc wrote:Again I'm with Gizmom. How many mature cows. How many total will determine if the 15 month old can handle it.
. 5 as of now but I plan on buying 5 more before end of December


The 15 month old bull should handle that ok. I turned a 12 month old bull out last year and 100% calf crop. Think all settled on first gear but one. He had 8 head to breed. Again depends on the individual. He was very growths so had the size to breed cows. This year put 13 hd with a 15 month old bull. All appear to be bred.
1 x

User avatar
Rajela
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 284
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:58 pm
Location: S. E. Okla

Re: Bull advice

Postby Rajela » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:26 pm

SimiAngus..........
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6907
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon

Re: Bull advice

Postby Dave » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:07 pm

For years I had a pasture that would handle about 15 cows. I always used a 15-16 month old bull there. It worked out just fine for me. Not knowing what breed your cows are and will be I would go with a straight Angus. That will uniform up your calf crop as much as possible.
2 x

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8481
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Bull advice

Postby 1982vett » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Straight Angus and buy young for that few cows.

Is there a reason your saying angus brute


For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.

Going to agree for the most part. I believe if you find a good Brangus it’s going to run $1000 over a good Angus so economics would say Angus. Wouldn’t rule out an AngusPlus if you run across one.
Just to throw this out, Best I gather your not running a uniform breed of cows. Maybe your headed that way but for now your not. I bought a Charolais a few years ago when I got in a bind needing a bull. He’s been making some dandy fast growing calves. Can put a little white down the backs of the Baldie cows calves but that hasn’t been s problem where I sell calves. Like I said, it depends on what your market wants. I’ve been dabbling in some sale barn cows for a couple years now so true make of cow isn’t known. Looks like the white bull works well on all of them for making pounds of beef. With a mixed batch of cows I don’t see trying to raise replacements. :2cents:
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2834
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Contact:

Re: Bull advice

Postby gizmom » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Well I am in the business to sell bulls, but if I have a customer come to me with 10 head to breed my advise would be if you have decent working facilities And can locate a competent AI tech AI the group. Much more cost effective than purchasing a bull that won’t have enough work to do to keep him out of trouble. If you don’t have time or facilities a 15 month old Angus bull should be able to cover 15 head, think 1 head for every month old. Also keep in mind a 15 month old bull is still growing, don’t expect him to get the job done unless he is on good pasture or if poor pasture supplement him a bit.

Gizmom
1 x
Respect give it to get it!

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Bull advice

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:18 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:Straight Angus and buy young for that few cows.

Is there a reason your saying angus brute


For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.
Leasing is an option my father in law buddy has registered beefmasters and he has good young bulls that he would let me lease. That’s another option i know that would be cheaper then buying.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Bull advice

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:20 am

Dave wrote:For years I had a pasture that would handle about 15 cows. I always used a 15-16 month old bull there. It worked out just fine for me. Not knowing what breed your cows are and will be I would go with a straight Angus. That will uniform up your calf crop as much as possible.

Baldies Angus tiger stripe heifer and and cross bred cows
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Bull advice

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:21 am

gizmom wrote:Well I am in the business to sell bulls, but if I have a customer come to me with 10 head to breed my advise would be if you have decent working facilities And can locate a competent AI tech AI the group. Much more cost effective than purchasing a bull that won’t have enough work to do to keep him out of trouble. If you don’t have time or facilities a 15 month old Angus bull should be able to cover 15 head, think 1 head for every month old. Also keep in mind a 15 month old bull is still growing, don’t expect him to get the job done unless he is on good pasture or if poor pasture supplement him a bit. How many would you say to have a bull in your opinion

Gizmom
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Bull advice

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:21 pm

1982vett wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Is there a reason your saying angus brute


For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.

Going to agree for the most part. I believe if you find a good Brangus it’s going to run $1000 over a good Angus so economics would say Angus. Wouldn’t rule out an AngusPlus if you run across one.
Just to throw this out, Best I gather your not running a uniform breed of cows. Maybe your headed that way but for now your not. I bought a Charolais a few years ago when I got in a bind needing a bull. He’s been making some dandy fast growing calves. Can put a little white down the backs of the Baldie cows calves but that hasn’t been s problem where I sell calves. Like I said, it depends on what your market wants. I’ve been dabbling in some sale barn cows for a couple years now so true make of cow isn’t known. Looks like the white bull works well on all of them for making pounds of beef. With a mixed batch of cows I don’t see trying to raise replacements. :2cents:
yeah I know char bulls have fast growing calfs , are they heifer friendly though, what’s a good price for a good bull cause max I will spend is 2500 no higher then that. I like Brangus Bull cause eventually I just Baldie cows angus cows tiger stripe and Brangus .
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7420
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Bull advice

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Is there a reason your saying angus brute


For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.
Leasing is an option my father in law buddy has registered beefmasters and he has good young bulls that he would let me lease. That’s another option i know that would be cheaper then buying.


Do that IMO. Get a quality, heifer friendly bull from him... don't worry about the breed.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8481
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Bull advice

Postby 1982vett » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Calving Charolais today isn’t the train wreck of yesteryear. I’m sure their are some exceptions as with all breeds. Paid $2300 for a 16 month old Hereford 2 years ago so I hope $2500 would be more than enough for a good bull today. Fall replacement sales are upon us and sometimes good used bulls appear at them. I know the come with health risks, but still viable option as they are a lot cheaper as well.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

User avatar
SPH
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 8:47 pm
Location: Iowa
Contact:

Re: Bull advice

Postby SPH » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:25 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
gizmom wrote:You have 5 heifers how many mature cows?

Gizmom

5 mature cows and I’m getting at least 5 more before this yr is over .


A good yearling bull should be able to cover 15-20 females. If you have 5 heifers and and at a max are going to have 10 mature cows he'll be just fine. We usually recommend 1 female per month of age for the yearling bulls we sell but we have turned out yearling bulls we kept with over 20 females sometimes but we also try to AI around a dozen so even though he may be out with 20-25 females he may only service 10-15 of them which is right in that ideal range.
1 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Bull advice

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
For uniformity, lbw growthy calves, black will be top sellers, they tend to be fairly easy to handle, and a good availability of options.

I would not go with a composite breed. I would either go straight Angus and terminal or straight Brahman to sell replacements if the cows are of the quality. If you can rent a bull that's even better.

This firat year, with heifers, and while you see what the cows can do... a straight Angus bull will do the best job IMO.
Leasing is an option my father in law buddy has registered beefmasters and he has good young bulls that he would let me lease. That’s another option i know that would be cheaper then buying.


Do that IMO. Get a quality, heifer friendly bull from him... don't worry about the breed.
will do
0 x

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2006
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: Bull advice

Postby farmerjan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:26 am

Why feed a bull for a year when you only need him for 3 months to breed. Get some calves on the ground, get you yourself a little settled and then decide what type bull you really want. I'd lease a bull in a heartbeat for that few cows. I agree with Brute. It will also help you to weed out any hard to breed/non-breeders. Replacement cattle are not very expensive right now and anything that doesn't breed here is gone on the next truck out. If I have to wait for them to rebreed, I can buy a replacement and get a saleable calf before they drop one on the ground if they are held back.Cull cow prices aren't great, but replacements can be bought for less than 2 cull cow prices.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 262
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Bull advice

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:46 pm

farmerjan wrote:Why feed a bull for a year when you only need him for 3 months to breed. Get some calves on the ground, get you yourself a little settled and then decide what type bull you really want. I'd lease a bull in a heartbeat for that few cows. I agree with Brute. It will also help you to weed out any hard to breed/non-breeders. Replacement cattle are not very expensive right now and anything that doesn't breed here is gone on the next truck out. If I have to wait for them to rebreed, I can buy a replacement and get a saleable calf before they drop one on the ground if they are held back.Cull cow prices aren't great, but replacements can be bought for less than 2 cull cow prices.
thanks for the info really appreciate it
0 x


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests