Jacking up settled barn post

The place to start if you are new!
M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Jacking up settled barn post

Postby M-5 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:00 am

ga.prime wrote:Image

GP, I use my hilift almost daily , I only had to get hit once with the handle when I was a kid to figure out not to turn loose of the handle.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:03 am

M-5 wrote:GP, I use my hilift almost daily , I only had to get hit once with the handle when I was a kid to figure out not to turn loose of the handle.

Yeah you have to watch that, it'll knock your teeth out.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:07 am

M-5 wrote:
ga.prime wrote:Image

GP, I use my hilift almost daily , I only had to get hit once with the handle when I was a kid to figure out not to turn loose of the handle.

That is how I repaired my barn posts. My barn was a post and pin, so the slab that I had to attach required a good 2×8 with 6 inch wood screws. I cut out the rotted section with a chainsaw, and replaced it with a treated timber and let it down on a precast concrete pad.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:23 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
ga.prime wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Is a bumper jack the same as a high lift jack?

Yes

You gonna get him killed Prime! They sure are strong and definitely have their place but you dang sure better know what you’re doing. Make a mistake and they sure ain’t very forgiving. I think I’ve heard them referred to as ‘house jacks’ as well but I may be confused.

A house jack in this part of the world is not ratchet, it uses the age old Archimedes principle of threads which are a wrapped incline.Image

You can get those in 8 feet heights for basements. You just leave them in place.
0 x
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:37 am

A screw is an incline:

Archimedes

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.
0 x
Diogenes.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:15 am

ga.prime wrote:
M-5 wrote:GP, I use my hilift almost daily , I only had to get hit once with the handle when I was a kid to figure out not to turn loose of the handle.

I've always called em farm jacks...
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:14 am

Bright Raven wrote:A screw is an incline:

Archimedes

Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

The hilift jack is a lever and fulcrum. One of my engineering professors used to use that Archimedes quote. Then, I'd spend the rest of class thinking how that theoretically would work but could never be done for numerous reasons and not listening to another word he said for the rest of the class.
2 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:05 pm

ga.prime wrote:

Archimedes

The hilift jack is a lever and fulcrum. One of my engineering professors used to use that Archimedes quote. Then, I'd spend the rest of class thinking how that theoretically would work but could never be done for numerous reasons and not listening to another word he said for the rest of the class.

Those ancient scholars. Would like to have met some of them. Physics, it is amazing how it applies to every thing we do. If there are Gods, they are not Poseidon, Zeus, etc. They are the Laws of Physics. Gravity might be the most fundamental ruler of the Universe.
2 x
Diogenes.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:27 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
ga.prime wrote:

Archimedes

Those ancient scholars. Would like to have met some of them. Physics, it is amazing how it applies to every thing we do. If there are Gods, they are not Poseidon, Zeus, etc. They are the Laws of Physics. Gravity might be the most fundamental ruler of the Universe.

Imagine building things like the Pyramids. They had a pretty good handle on physics. A lot of the Mayan Temples are aligned so that light only shines through a certain hole on the equinoxes. Imagine figuring that out! I visited one once that had a tower and the top was built in such a way that it whistled only when the wind reached hurricane force.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:31 pm

I've seen these called and used as house jacks.
I've seen these called and used as house jacks some places, & called railroad jacks other places.
Imagetaking a screen shot

I've seen these called every name in the book when they kicked out and dented something or knocked you upside the head, but I've never heard a track or farm jack called a house jack.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:07 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
ga.prime wrote:

I've always called em farm jacks...

Bumper jack or jack-all around here.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:36 pm

If you are from where they are made, like I am, it’s a Bloomfield Jack. There’s a 40 footer downtown that actually works.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:If you are from where they are made, like I am, it’s a Bloomfield Jack. There’s a 40 footer downtown that actually works.

FFS, I think it was originally supposed to be Blamefield. Bc I it will knock your teeth out into the blame field if you’re not careful :lol2:
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:07 am

Look close at the fence posts. Miles of it around here.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:13 am

greybeard wrote:I've seen these called and used as house jacks.
I've seen these called and used as house jacks some places, & called railroad jacks other places.
Imagetaking a screen shot

I've seen these called every name in the book when they kicked out and dented something or knocked you upside the head, but I've never heard a track or farm jack called a house jack.

Those daggone farm jacks high lift jacks or whatever you call them are nice but dangerous too
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Return to “Beginners Board”