Going through corrals moving pastures

The place to start if you are new!
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Re: Going through corrals moving pastures

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:53 am

5S Cattle wrote:I’d have a way to bypass like ebenezer said. Could get real muddy if you have a wet year

Thanks for the advice, but we live in the desert. I'm lucky to get above 12" a year. We do irrigate, but it's so hot and dry that in a day or so it doesn't look like you watered. And I'm talking about putting down 4"+ in 24 hours.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:I’d have a way to bypass like ebenezer said. Could get real muddy if you have a wet year

Thanks for the advice, but we live in the desert. I'm lucky to get above 12" a year. We do irrigate, but it's so hot and dry that in a day or so it doesn't look like you watered. And I'm talking about putting down 4"+ in 24 hours.

Wow that’s a lot of water to put down to soak right up. Sandy soil?
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:57 pm

5S Cattle wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:

Wow that’s a lot of water to put down to soak right up. Sandy soil?

Very sandy, and hard. About 18 inches down it’s hard tack. Post hole digging is a b.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 am

The gas company wanted to put cattleguards in my alleys. I made them build their own road. Several people here criticized me over it. Lol.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:09 am

JMJ Farms wrote:I’m in the process of setting mine up where the have to go through the corrals at least half the time on a normal rotation schedule. And they will also have to get water from a trough inside the lot while in some pastures and will also have access to that water trough even if they have a secondary water source in the other pastures.

Easier to trick them sometimes. They are caught before they realize it. And also gives them the sense that the lot is not always a “bad” place.

That's the way it should be set up and handled.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:52 am

we feed ours eveyr cpl days inside he pens..easy peasy
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Ridgefarmer63
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Ridgefarmer63 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Bright Raven wrote:You mean walking through an open corral or breaking through a corral to get to a better pasture?

LOL
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”