my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

The place to start if you are new!
pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:53 pm
Location: southern Oklahoma

my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby pdubdo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Seems like forever but I finally got my first 4 commercial RA heifers! Had em since May on native grasses only. They aren't dead yet so I think that's a win! Gonna start supplementing so can y'all with more experienced eyes help me w/ BCS? I'd like to track it through the winter (or until I get a set of scales). Also, feel free to critique them. You won't hurt my feelings and it'll help me with future purchases. Appreciate all the help this forum has given me!

Image

Image

Image

Image
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:38 pm

Are the heifers bred?
1 x

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 12:33 pm
Location: SW Michigan

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 pm

Not sure what their bcs is but they look good and healthy to me!
2 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15489
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:02 pm

As my aunt would say, they don't look emancipated :cowboy:
2 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:53 pm
Location: southern Oklahoma

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby pdubdo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Coosh71 wrote:Are the heifers bred?


Not bred-they were born in Oct/November. Haven't decided on fall-calving or wait for spring calves (whole different topic!)
0 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby Coosh71 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:21 pm

What's your plan for breeding? AI? Rent a bull? And yes they do look good. Hard to score from pics, but they look good.
1 x

User avatar
Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:16 pm
Location: Florida ( North South Central)

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby Gators Rule » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Nice heifers for you to start!!!
1 x
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13482
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby Nesikep » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:27 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:As my aunt would say, they don't look emancipated :cowboy:

Image
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 701
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby snoopdog » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:16 am

Nice looking girls !
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5126
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:26 am

I'd score your heifers BCS 6 - Good

Body Condition Score measures the energy reserves of the animal
1 Emaciated
2 Very Thin (rail thin)
3 Thin (can see the ribs individually)
4 Borderline (can't see ribs, but hard, sharp top line with no fat deposits)
5 Moderate (overall appearance good)
6 Good (slightly fat on tailhead and pins)
7 Very Good (spongy fat around the tailhead)
8 Fat (fat pones obvious around the tailhead)
9 Very Fat

Breeding Animals should be 5, 6 or 7
5 x

cjmc
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:52 am

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby cjmc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:27 pm

Son of Butch wrote:I'd score your heifers BCS 6 - Good

Body Condition Score measures the energy reserves of the animal
1 Emaciated
2 Very Thin (rail thin)
3 Thin (can see the ribs individually)
4 Borderline (can't see ribs, but hard, sharp top line with no fat deposits)
5 Moderate (overall appearance good)
6 Good (slightly fat on tailhead and pins)
7 Very Good (spongy fat around the tailhead)
8 Fat (fat pones obvious around the tailhead)
9 Very Fat

Breeding Animals should be 5, 6 or 7


I agree with your eye that they are a 6. Ideal BCS would be a 6. I would say a range of 5-7 is acceptable condition. I disagree with the description though, you will definitely see some ribs with cows in a BCS of 4.
1 x

User avatar
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5126
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:44 pm
Location: Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:29 am

I can live with that, perhaps better description of 4 is can't see fore ribs, but rear rib or 2 might be visible.
But there are some animals with rib covering that still fall a bit short of 5 if you feel for fat across their top line.
It's helpful to be able to touch the animal to verify a score of 4 or 7
Breeding bulls should be bcs 6 at the start of breeding season.
1 x

pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:53 pm
Location: southern Oklahoma

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby pdubdo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:41 am

Coosh71 wrote:What's your plan for breeding? AI? Rent a bull? And yes they do look good. Hard to score from pics, but they look good.

Still working on that. prob rent-a-bull. I'm tempted to put them with a longhorn for first calf. I don't live on-site and it'll be hard to check them constantly when they calve. Want to maximize my chances of getting a live calf. Thanks to everyone for the info.
0 x

User avatar
holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby holm25 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 am

pdubdo wrote:
Coosh71 wrote:What's your plan for breeding? AI? Rent a bull? And yes they do look good. Hard to score from pics, but they look good.

Still working on that. prob rent-a-bull. I'm tempted to put them with a longhorn for first calf. I don't live on-site and it'll be hard to check them constantly when they calve. Want to maximize my chances of getting a live calf. Thanks to everyone for the info.


Angus throw pretty small calves too. Get a live calf first and then rebreed to a Simmental bull for second calves. You won’t be disappointed.
1 x

User avatar
holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:46 pm

Re: my first heifers! and help w/ BCS

Postby holm25 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:34 am

The heifers look like they’re in pretty darn good shape. Our cows range from 5-7 BCS.. I prefer heifers in the 6 range for first breeding... Don’t want overly fat heifers...
2 x


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lazy M and 8 guests