Helped wean calves

The place to start if you are new!
Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon

Helped wean calves

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:39 am

Last week I told a neighbor that I wasn't doing much and offered to help him when I could. He asked if I could haul some calves when they weaned. So yesterday was the day. He gave me directions to the trap and asked me to show up at 10:30. I got there the trap was full of cattle and they had just finished loading the third gooseneck. I backed in and got loaded them all four of us headed down to one of his hay farms where there is a set of corrals and working pens. I ended up hauling 5 loads a 20 to 22 calves per load. All together there was 16 trailer loads of calves. I am guess 320-340 calves. Some nice big soggy calves. The cows are primarily black but I saw at least one of most every other breed. Sorry to you Brimmer pimps but I didn't see a single eared cow among them. He appears to have more Charolais bulls than anything else but there were some Angus and one horned Hereford. Those Char cross calves are really going to mash down the scale. I hauled one load that seemed to be 22 of the biggest of those calves. It felt like I was pulling the plug out of the bottom of the ocean.
4 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 8:32 am
Location: Texas Panhandle

Re: Helped wean calves

Postby Coosh71 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Yeah those Char cross calves can be big. Have a buddy that runs Char over whatever and his heifers are as big as most steer.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon

Re: Helped wean calves

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:13 am

As they were sorting calves off they were kicking cows out of the pen. By the last couple loads there were so many cows standing around bawling that the guys who were doing the sorting had to come push cows off the road so I could back in. About half the cows seemed to be standing around bawling. The other half were headed out grazing. I think they were happy to get rid of the little brat.
I have talked about how some of the cows don't stay home. There was at least 3 trailer loads of neighbor's cows and calves that got sorted off. Neighbors came and picked them up. I am sure that when they gather there will have some that belong to the guy I was helping.
1 x

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8496
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Helped wean calves

Postby 1982vett » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:17 am

Dave wrote:Last week I told a neighbor that I wasn't doing much and offered to help him when I could. He asked if I could haul some calves when they weaned. So yesterday was the day. He gave me directions to the trap and asked me to show up at 10:30. I got there the trap was full of cattle and they had just finished loading the third gooseneck. I backed in and got loaded them all four of us headed down to one of his hay farms where there is a set of corrals and working pens. I ended up hauling 5 loads a 20 to 22 calves per load. All together there was 16 trailer loads of calves. I am guess 320-340 calves. Some nice big soggy calves. The cows are primarily black but I saw at least one of most every other breed. Sorry to you Brimmer pimps but I didn't see a single eared cow among them. He appears to have more Charolais bulls than anything else but there were some Angus and one horned Hereford. Those Char cross calves are really going to mash down the scale. I hauled one load that seemed to be 22 of the biggest of those calves. It felt like I was pulling the plug out of the bottom of the ocean.

The “Brimmer pimps” are ok with that. Wouldn’t expect them to be up their unless they are vacationing. :D But with all the Hereford and Angus around. A vacationing Brimmer could leave behind some mighty fine calves.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon

Re: Helped wean calves

Postby Dave » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:11 pm

1982vett wrote:
Dave wrote:Last week I told a neighbor that I wasn't doing much and offered to help him when I could. He asked if I could haul some calves when they weaned. So yesterday was the day. He gave me directions to the trap and asked me to show up at 10:30. I got there the trap was full of cattle and they had just finished loading the third gooseneck. I backed in and got loaded them all four of us headed down to one of his hay farms where there is a set of corrals and working pens. I ended up hauling 5 loads a 20 to 22 calves per load. All together there was 16 trailer loads of calves. I am guess 320-340 calves. Some nice big soggy calves. The cows are primarily black but I saw at least one of most every other breed. Sorry to you Brimmer pimps but I didn't see a single eared cow among them. He appears to have more Charolais bulls than anything else but there were some Angus and one horned Hereford. Those Char cross calves are really going to mash down the scale. I hauled one load that seemed to be 22 of the biggest of those calves. It felt like I was pulling the plug out of the bottom of the ocean.

The “Brimmer pimps” are ok with that. Wouldn’t expect them to be up their unless they are vacationing. :D But with all the Hereford and Angus around. A vacationing Brimmer could leave behind some mighty fine calves.


I hate to break the news to you, but Brimmers get slaughtered here. And I am talking long before they make it to the packing plant.
1 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11809
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Helped wean calves

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:45 am

Rule number one, know your market.
2 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

BC
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2367
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:55 am
Location: Van Zandt County, TX

Re: Helped wean calves

Postby BC » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:45 am

Dave wrote:
1982vett wrote:
Dave wrote:Last week I told a neighbor that I wasn't doing much and offered to help him when I could. He asked if I could haul some calves when they weaned. So yesterday was the day. He gave me directions to the trap and asked me to show up at 10:30. I got there the trap was full of cattle and they had just finished loading the third gooseneck. I backed in and got loaded them all four of us headed down to one of his hay farms where there is a set of corrals and working pens. I ended up hauling 5 loads a 20 to 22 calves per load. All together there was 16 trailer loads of calves. I am guess 320-340 calves. Some nice big soggy calves. The cows are primarily black but I saw at least one of most every other breed. Sorry to you Brimmer pimps but I didn't see a single eared cow among them. He appears to have more Charolais bulls than anything else but there were some Angus and one horned Hereford. Those Char cross calves are really going to mash down the scale. I hauled one load that seemed to be 22 of the biggest of those calves. It felt like I was pulling the plug out of the bottom of the ocean.

The “Brimmer pimps” are ok with that. Wouldn’t expect them to be up their unless they are vacationing. :D But with all the Hereford and Angus around. A vacationing Brimmer could leave behind some mighty fine calves.


I hate to break the news to you, but Brimmers get slaughtered here. And I am talking long before they make it to the packing plant.

Those of us that like and use Brahman influenced cattle know that they are not for everyone. Your cattle have to fit your environment. Oregon ranching country is as different from East and South Texas as a northeastern Democrat is to a southern Republican. It is a wonder we consider ourselves in the same country.
3 x

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6970
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon

Re: Helped wean calves

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:09 am

BC wrote:
Dave wrote:
1982vett wrote:The “Brimmer pimps” are ok with that. Wouldn’t expect them to be up their unless they are vacationing. :D But with all the Hereford and Angus around. A vacationing Brimmer could leave behind some mighty fine calves.


I hate to break the news to you, but Brimmers get slaughtered here. And I am talking long before they make it to the packing plant.

Those of us that like and use Brahman influenced cattle know that they are not for everyone. Your cattle have to fit your environment. Oregon ranching country is as different from East and South Texas as a northeastern Democrat is to a southern Republican. It is a wonder we consider ourselves in the same country.


It is a big country with lots of differences, both in the environment and the people. I guess those differences help to balance us out. You don't need to go half way across the country to find those differences. A couple weeks ago my sister and her husband came for a visit. They live in a suburb of Seattle. He has told me that he would prefer to live in a condo in down town but she won't go for it. I couldn't live in either of those locations. While they were here he said to me that I live in the middle of no where. I replied that I am only about 6 miles from the interstate. He said when you get to the intestate you are still in the middle of no where. It is all perspective. To me there is much more here than there is living on a tiny lot in the middle of a million people.
6 x


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests