ISO cowboy or someone NE Tx

The place to start if you are new!
BC
GURU
GURU

Re: ISO cowboy or someone NE Tx

Postby BC » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:48 pm

Let them pen her with his cattle. I bet she will stay bunched with his. Some people only pen once or twice a year. Their cattle are not used to people.
2 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:50 pm

I agree. Let him get her penned with his cattle. If they are pretty spooky, they will be very familiar with working with that kind of cattle. Granted maybe you wanted her gone, sooner, but at this point what difference does it make. They get them in, if they are taking some to the sale, let them put her on the truck with theirs and put her in your name at the sale.

We had 3 from a neighbors get in with ours. Pretty spooky. He wanted to come get them out and we said NO. They could stay there til we got ours up, no charge, as we did not want them running our cattle. There aren't any catch pens there, we set up a portable pen when we need to get them. By the time we got ours up, after having the pen set up for 2 weeks, they were coming in with ours just as easy as could be, and it was no problem to call him and tell him when we had them in.

We had had a bad experience with someone's cattle getting in our place and them coming in and running our cattle trying to catch theirs. Had one calf get hurt and a cow came up lame. That ended it. If we have any get on someone else, we ask permission to go in and look, and ask how they want to deal with it. We have paid for the cattle to be there grazing if the owner wanted it... not going to be responsible for someone else's cattle getting stirred up or hurt.
5 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:33 am

A good cowboy won’t run the whole heard trying to catch one cow. Generally the cow in question is seperated pretty quick and the rest settle down. Problems usually come up with one person trying to work alone or if they miss a few times and the cow keeps trying to get back with the herd.
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 am

His land, his rules....maybe mediate through the sheriff.
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:22 am

1982vett wrote:His land, his rules....maybe mediate through the sheriff.

I agree ''his land, his rules'', and he already told him the way it is going to be so what could a sheriff do.
2 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Yeah I have no choice but to wait but the guy is leasing the land so I called him instead of the lady that owns the land she friends with a family member so I’ll leave it be hopefully they catch her
0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:16 pm

BRYANT wrote:

I agree ''his land, his rules'', and he already told him the way it is going to be so what could a sheriff do.

The guy doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to get the cow back to where it belongs.....I say this because it’s still in his pasture and he hasn’t taken action himself to remedy the situation. That is where the talking to the Sherrif might help defuse any upcoming problem. Course nothing is certain at all. :2cents:
1 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:00 pm

1982vett wrote:
BRYANT wrote:

The guy doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to get the cow back to where it belongs.....I say this because it’s still in his pasture and he hasn’t taken action himself to remedy the situation. That is where the talking to the Sherrif might help defuse any upcoming problem. Course nothing is certain at all. :2cents:
yeah it’s almost been two months so it’s frustrating he told people that close to me that they were gonna work cows in August but got in touch yesterday and said Tuesday wed of this week
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:03 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
1982vett wrote:
BRYANT wrote:I agree ''his land, his rules'', and he already told him the way it is going to be so what could a sheriff do.

yeah it’s almost been two months so it’s frustrating he told people that close to me that they were gonna work cows in August but got in touch yesterday and said Tuesday wed of this week

I know you are frustrated. Just hang tight. If a neighbor has a cow that gets on my place, I tell them let me pen them when I get mine up. If it is August, I am not going to pen unless it is an emergency (too hot). A bull is a different deal. I will pen the cows as quick as possible and help you load him.
2 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:18 pm

I guess if she is in his pasture eating his grass and he does not care then what's the concern sounds as if you are making money on her. I had two in my place for a month eating my grass, range meal and mineral they belong to guys that are cowboys that could have had a group of people rope them anytime BUT I told them not to be in there running them with horses. They were not hurting anything and I told them I would let them know when I had them penned. they went in the lot every week for a month and ate cubes with my cows but I did not have time to mess with them till a couple weeks ago. when I had the time I fed every thing and sorted them out and left them in the lot called a told him they were in the lot he could go get them out and he did . but I sure did not want him or anyone else in there messing with my cattle I can handle these Brahman cross cows like a bunch of puppy dogs chasing a bone but some one else get in there messing around they might have cows scattered over two counties.
If she has settled in why not try and sell her to him, may make him a good cow.
4 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:36 am

I agree, leave her there until the man is ready or he asks you to forcibly come get her. I had a young wild one fresh from the sale barn get on the neighbors place and he was adamant about leaving her. Took six months but he called one day and said he had her penned. She had calmed down and turned into a nice animal that I still own. Ugly as sin but luckily her calves usually take on their daddy's traits.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:02 am

BRYANT wrote:I guess if she is in his pasture eating his grass and he does not care then what's the concern sounds as if you are making money on her. I had two in my place for a month eating my grass, range meal and mineral they belong to guys that are cowboys that could have had a group of people rope them anytime BUT I told them not to be in there running them with horses. They were not hurting anything and I told them I would let them know when I had them penned. they went in the lot every week for a month and ate cubes with my cows but I did not have time to mess with them till a couple weeks ago. when I had the time I fed every thing and sorted them out and left them in the lot called a told him they were in the lot he could go get them out and he did . but I sure did not want him or anyone else in there messing with my cattle I can handle these Brahman cross cows like a bunch of puppy dogs chasing a bone but some one else get in there messing around they might have cows scattered over two counties.
tbh I didn’t even think about selling her to him he’s a big cattle guy so it didn’t really cross my mind she’s good heifer in the pasture she doesn’t like being penned lol. But I can’t have at her my place cause all of mine are puppy dog gentle.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:04 am

bird dog wrote:I agree, leave her there until the man is ready or he asks you to forcibly come get her. I had a young wild one fresh from the sale barn get on the neighbors place and he was adamant about leaving her. Took six months but he called one day and said he had her penned. She had calmed down and turned into a nice animal that I still own. Ugly as sin but luckily her calves usually take on their daddy's traits.

I want to keep her but idk if she will calm down like once I get her I wanna pen her for a week and just feed her see if she get used to me I ride by his place and she just peaceful lol
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:05 am

BRYANT wrote:I guess if she is in his pasture eating his grass and he does not care then what's the concern sounds as if you are making money on her. I had two in my place for a month eating my grass, range meal and mineral they belong to guys that are cowboys that could have had a group of people rope them anytime BUT I told them not to be in there running them with horses. They were not hurting anything and I told them I would let them know when I had them penned. they went in the lot every week for a month and ate cubes with my cows but I did not have time to mess with them till a couple weeks ago. when I had the time I fed every thing and sorted them out and left them in the lot called a told him they were in the lot he could go get them out and he did . but I sure did not want him or anyone else in there messing with my cattle I can handle these Brahman cross cows like a bunch of puppy dogs chasing a bone but some one else get in there messing around they might have cows scattered over two counties.
yeah that what my buddy told me she’s making money for me free so why not be patient so I gotta look at it in a positive way I guess
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:10 am

I know if I could get her calm she could make a lot of money . As well I got a lot people wanting to me trade them heifers for her I’m trying to see if I can get a mid age bred cow for her
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”