Lost cow/heifer

The place to start if you are new!
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Lost cow/heifer

Postby snoopdog » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:31 pm

Had a really nice gert/bm (guess) heifer show up out of thin air, obviously in heat. None of the immediate neighbors are missing her , she does have a generic tag. None of the fences down as far as I can tell , though I didn't walk the whole line that borders some rough country . I hate to put an ad on fb or cl because of the scammers and don't really want to try and get the herd up just to catch her, especially since I don't know if she's going to tear up a bunch of stuff . Ive decided just to wait and see if anyone is looking for her, and if they are, just offer to buy her. What would you do?
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Lost cow/heifer

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:41 pm

I’d wait it out. Pretty sure you’ll hear something through the grapevine if you talk to your neighbors fairly often.
2 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:43 pm

I'd call the Sheriff. At least in my county they post lost/found. And then I'd call the local vet; they post lost/found on their Facebook page & spread the word. Neither provide specific info up front so you're relatively safe from scammers. OR congrats on your new heifer! ;-)
3 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:49 pm

I would notify the "local authorities" that an estray has shown up at my place and that if the (alleged) owner reports her missing and is able to identify her, then they come and get her. I would also be inclined to 'mention' it at the local feed place, and 'spread' the word with the neighbors. BUT, I would not be giving out the info as to exactly what she looks like, tag, etc. The supposed owner would need to provide that info.

I say this, because I had a red heifer show up here, a number of years ago. The nearest neighbors didn't own her. I spread the word (so to speak), and finally found the rightful owner. He came and got her a couple of weeks later. She was wild as a buck! Limousine.
3 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:04 pm

All good advice , thanks . I don't know why calling the sheriff didn't dawn on me, our guys have to deal with a lot of livestock issues. I really don't want to deal with them , but I know how I'd feel if it were one of mine.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:16 pm

snoopdog wrote:All good advice , thanks . I don't know why calling the sheriff didn't dawn on me, our guys have to deal with a lot of livestock issues. I really don't want to deal with them , but I know how I'd feel if it were one of mine.

You might be surprised at the lengths the Sheriff Dept/Deputies will go. We had an oil well "incident" that involved filing a Sheriff report and had to move cattle from that pasture to another. Deputies not only blocked the road with their squad cars, they helped me move them - including catching a wayward heifer that double backed & made it out the one spot that was accessible to freedom. Workinonit's suggestion of mentioning to your local feed place/Coop is great! I know I've never been in one where there isn't a party around the barrel of peanuts & coffee station!
2 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:33 pm

TCRanch wrote:
snoopdog wrote:All good advice , thanks . I don't know why calling the sheriff didn't dawn on me, our guys have to deal with a lot of livestock issues. I really don't want to deal with them , but I know how I'd feel if it were one of mine.

You might be surprised at the lengths the Sheriff Dept/Deputies will go. We had an oil well "incident" that involved filing a Sheriff report and had to move cattle from that pasture to another. Deputies not only blocked the road with their squad cars, they helped me move them - including catching a wayward heifer that double backed & made it out the one spot that was accessible to freedom. Workinonit's suggestion of mentioning to your local feed place/Coop is great! I know I've never been in one where there isn't a party around the barrel of peanuts & coffee station!
Naw TC, They try hard, just my inherent distrust after a few encounters , in which I was wrong . We have a great feedstore/popcorn group ! Even though I'm not a member , I eavesdrop sometimes .
4 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:57 pm

All we do is mention it to our local sheriff dept., and make a few phone calls to adjoining neighbors that have cattle. Have had several of ours get over on a neighbor, and vice versa over the years. So if we are missing we call, and if we find any we make a few calls.... then just wait. Had one show up a year later at a neighbors, next to a summer pasture we use....they called us and yes it was mine, and they got her in their barn with their bulls, and called & I went & got her. Crazy wild from running loose along the power lines and woods; was going to sell her but in less than a week she was coming in the barn like everyone else and has raised 2 calves and due with another. Don't know why she wanted to run loose with no company. The local "hunt club" had seen her in the woods a couple times and said she would take off like a deer.....Then she went looking for company with their bulls so we got her back....preg and then settled right down. WEIRD.
Wound up with a bull calf once -500 - or so lbs, in with our breeding heifers and no one ever claimed him, so we shipped him at the end of the summer with an open heifer and some steers from another place. Must've had him 4 months. Our heifers were all bred by our bull according to the amount of time they were preg....... maybe he smelled the open one that was still cycling????
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 am

somebody close just got into the business,,and turned them out in a pallet stock corral..
2 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:45 pm

snoopdog wrote: What would you do?

Providing you reside in a brand inspection state (typically managed by the respective state's Dept of Ag), you'd call the local brand inspector (regardless of whether or not the heifer was branded). In a nutshell, the BI would inspect her, file an estray report and depending on your desire the animal is either immediately shipped to the closest sale yard or you can opt to have her remain at your place and after a reasonable time frame (usually a few weeks) an owner is located, be reimbursed for her upkeep.
2 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:24 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:somebody close just got into the business,,and turned them out in a pallet stock corral..

:shock: :shock:
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:50 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:somebody close just got into the business,,and turned them out in a pallet stock corral..

:D :lol: :lol:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Y'all know the type corral...made of material, suitable for picture framing...
1 x
there are two ways to argue with a woman.....neither one works..

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:13 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:Y'all know the type corral...made of material, suitable for picture framing...

:roll: The internet is flooded with a million uses for pallets but I've yet to see a pallet corral. :lol:
2 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:45 pm

76 Bar wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:Y'all know the type corral...made of material, suitable for picture framing...

:roll: The internet is flooded with a million uses for pallets but I've yet to see a pallet corral. :lol:

A neighbor has one for Jersey cross calves. Seems to work, but I then they don't have any ear. ;-)
1 x
Stocker Steve

Return to “Beginners Board”