Corral boards

The place to start if you are new!
sassafras manor
Cowhand
Cowhand

Corral boards

Postby sassafras manor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 am

We are preparing to build our first set of proper working pens for sorting and holding back weaning calves. For aesthetics I would like to have the boards attached on the outside of the posts but am wondering for strength if it would be better to have the boards on the inside of the posts? If I were to screw (vs. ring shanks) them to the posts would that give them enough strength to have them on the outside of the posts? Thanks

shaz
GURU
GURU

Re: Corral boards

Postby shaz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:47 am

I'm using screws and 2x6 treated lumber on the inside of the post.
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 am

Screwing them to the outside of the posts will work but will depend a lot on what wood you are using... thickness, and distance between posts. If you are using a 1" rough cut corral board, you may want to consider placing the boards on both sides of posts.
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:07 am

Boards go to the inside. The best look is it done right. ;-)

Most the woods pens around here that have been standing since long before I was born run continuous boards and splice them with a small 2' board or so to the back. Now days people use a carriage bolt but there are a lot of pens with bent nails holding the splice. Then they are just using big nails to attach the run to the post.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

sassafras manor
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sassafras manor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:12 am

They are pressure treated 2"x6"s with posts spacing at 5'

jschoolcraft86
Beginner
Beginner

Postby jschoolcraft86 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:30 am

That's about the same setup as my corrals right now. I started off trying to find the same length boards as the spacing between my posts but now I just overlap the ends if they're too long.

I always run boards on the insides of the post, better safe than sorry. I'm not sure if screws on the outside would be strong enough and I'm too cautious to find out ;). The last thing I want is to run them into the corral and then have them bust out the side and end up chasing them through the yard and down the road.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 am

sassafras manor wrote:They are pressure treated 2"x6"s with posts spacing at 5'

I put decorative fencing boards around the perimeter of our corrals and used the heavy gauge wire cattle panels to line the inside. I added a board at the top and one in the middle over the wire panels. So far it's holding up great after 4 years and I only have one board to replace.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 am

2x8s are not much more than 2x6s
paint the end grain to reduce moisture absorption
how high are you going?
Stocker Steve

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:35 am

Brute 23 wrote:Boards go to the inside. The best look is it done right. ;-)

Most the woods pens around here that have been standing since long before I was born run continuous boards and splice them with a small 2' board or so to the back. Now days people use a carriage bolt but there are a lot of pens with bent nails holding the splice. Then they are just using big nails to attach the run to the post.

Boards on the inside for sure... cattle hug the wall in a corral don't need a road block """post"" stopping that flow...I use deck screws on the boards...
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

sassafras manor
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby sassafras manor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 am

I already have the 2"x6"s left over from another job inside the barn and want to get them out of the way. My plan is to start 12" off of the ground then alternate every 5.25" up to 60". I will be using 3.5" Torx deck screws to secure them. The consensus is that the boards will go on the inside. Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:58 pm

sassafras manor wrote:I already have the 2"x6"s left over from another job inside the barn and want to get them out of the way. My plan is to start 12" off of the ground then alternate every 5.25" up to 60". I will be using 3.5" Torx deck screws to secure them. The consensus is that the boards will go on the inside. Thanks for confirming my thoughts!

Can I talk you into to going a little higher than 5ft? 5 1/2 maybe...
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:23 pm

As several have mentioned, put the boards to the inside. As animals push against the boards, they also push against the post. Make your fence taller (5 1/2 to 6 ft tall) unless you are handling Jerseys, Dexters, Low Lines or mini Herefords.

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Agree, boards inside and at least 5 1/2 ft tall, you can use a narrower spacing for the bottom 2 boards to keep legs from going through and then a wider spacing in the middle, not enough for a head, and narrower at the top for strength.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:59 pm

The pens I've built are at 5' to the top, and none of my cattle have ever looked like they were even thinking about going over the top, even though they're those "Crazy Brangus".
Life is too short to drink cheap beer or dance with ugly women.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm

I have witnessed, on more than one occasion, cattle go over 6' pens. The can usually clip and break the top board enough to get over.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain