Cattle dog

The place to start if you are new!
Shanf
Beginner
Beginner

Cattle dog

Postby Shanf » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 pm

I have an 8 month old female red heeler. I also have a toy fox terrier. The fox terrier was never particularly happy when we brought the puppy home. She often growled, but they never fought. We got the heeler when she was 8 weeks old. Recently they got into it and both dogs were very aggressive. I separated them but the fox terrier got hurt, not real bad and seems fine now except now my heeler will not leave the terrier alone. Our toy fox terrier hides from her. Help. I really don’t want to get rid of either dog,
0 x

tncattle
GURU
GURU

Re: Cattle dog

Postby tncattle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:03 pm

Keep them separated or get rid of one, that Heeler will kill the terrier given the right circumstances. They’re animals not people.
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:21 pm

tncattle wrote:Keep them separated or get rid of one, that Heeler will kill the terrier given the right circumstances. They’re animals not people.

Agreed! Love the Heeler breed, but they seem to either get along with other dogs and cats or they just don't. I'm suresomeo e will be more help than me on this subject, but in my experience with them, they aren't as social as other breeds. Good luck!
2 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:04 pm

Which one do you like more? Get rid of the other one
2 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:34 am

Do you live on much land? Do you need the heeler to work cattle? If you live in suburbia then a heeler is not the most suitable dog, they need to be active and work.

Ken
2 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:21 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Do you live on much land? Do you need the heeler to work cattle? If you live in suburbia then a heeler is not the most suitable dog, they need to be active and work.

Ken

Exactly! I look at my ACDs as tools. They have a job to do. They live outside (only one we ever kept inside was while he was in a coma). Don't get me wrong, I will cause harm to any fool who attempts to harm my dogs, but overall, I treat them more like livestock than pets. It is crazy to me the number of people who will fail to become educated and not realize that cute little blue puppy will shortly become a velociraptor and destroy their pretty condo!
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:02 pm

5S Cattle wrote:Which one do you like more? Get rid of the other one

Depending on where you live, but Asian immigrants here have always been grateful for the gift of any dog.
(They probably view it as good luck. ;-)
0 x

Turkeybird
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Turkeybird » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:02 am

Son of Butch wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:Which one do you like more? Get rid of the other one

Depending on where you live, but Asian immigrants here have always been grateful for the gift of any dog.
(They probably view it as good luck. ;-)

More like lunch
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am

You have a dog that was "king of the castle", brought home an "invader" then as it got older and bigger, it decided it wanted to be the top dog. Heelers are very hi energy and you are asking your established animal to basically become 2nd dog. Unless you are working cattle, let the heeler go to someone who can use and channel that instinct.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”