Squeeze Chute

The place to start if you are new!
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Squeeze Chute

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:04 pm

A couple of questions for everyone on here. We're looking to add one next year to our place and I'm starting to work on things now so it's not a big mess at that point. Can I put one on crushed gravel instead of a concrete pad? How would you anchor it like that. Putting in railroad ties is not a problem, I can do that all day long. Also, what is the best way to move it around?

Thanks
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Re: Squeeze Chute

Postby Supa Dexta » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:27 pm

What do you mean move it around?

But yes you can set ties and then anchor it down to them.
0 x

pricefarm
GURU
GURU

Postby pricefarm » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:10 pm

I bought one earlier this year. I poured a concrete pad for mine and anchored it to the concrete. I poured a pad around 6 ft wide and 16 ft long I think. I just bought bagged concrete from lowes and mixed it myself.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Mine sits on scales and I just dug some trenches about 8" deep and 12" wide and set the scales on them and the chute on top. The trenches have wire in them for reinforcement. The scales are bolted to the concrete. This is under a roof so mud is not a problem. If out in the open, I would pour a slab big enough to where you won't be standing in mud.

If you do pour a slab, did out the ground where it will be close to ground level. You don't want the animals to have to jump up to get in the chute.

I used the hay forks on the tractor to set mine in place.
2 x

CalumetFarms
Beginner
Beginner

Postby CalumetFarms » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:56 pm

I didn't pour a slab, a squeeze chute doesn't need to be anchored.
If you do put gravel under the chute itself, use something fine like 21a or crusher run and pack it tight.
I set mine up on dry ground, then spread some 3" stone around everything to walk on.

I'm a Priefert man, I love their products and swear by them. I still have an old model 91 head gate that's probably 30 years old or more and works great.
As you may know, Priefert is somewhat unique in their head gate design. I think it sets them ahead of the rest imo.

My old bull is tame as a puppy, he was perfectly willing to be vaccinated. He seemed embarrassed when he was too fat for the alley.

2 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:What do you mean move it around?

To get it off the trailer and set.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:52 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:

If you have a loader with pallet forks, you can move just about any squeeze chute around. A lot of the better quality chutes will have anchor points made for pallet forks where the equipment is balanced best when moving.
1 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:20 pm

TN Cattle Man wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:

If you have a loader with pallet forks, you can move just about any squeeze chute around. A lot of the better quality chutes will have anchor points made for pallet forks where the equipment is balanced best when moving.

Sioux Steel does that I hear.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:32 pm

We use hay forks to move ours, an old pearson, but it just sits on the ground. It is chained to cemented posts front and rear.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:50 pm

I would suggest anchoring it down. I know cattle are just supposed to walk into the chute, but they may have other ideas. Then when you get them caught they can dang sure thrash around. It will move on ya if either of these occur. We just have ours on the ground, and unless a person is running thousands of head through they aren’t going to make a big hole in front of it. Make sure it’s level and anchored though. Ours is just to posts on the back, but it keeps them from moving it forward when they hit the head gates hard.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”