Close call

The place to start if you are new!
ez14.
GURU
GURU

Re: Close call

Postby ez14. » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:33 pm

callmefence wrote:If getting a corner off the ground qualifys as a close call we're living on the edge out here.

:nod:
0 x

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:34 pm

M-5 wrote:
callmefence wrote:If getting a corner off the ground qualifys as a close call we're living on the edge out here.

LOL , I guess running a chainsaw standing on the forks while back tire spins in the air would be more than most could take around on here.

Been there done that. Keeps things interesting
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:43 pm

ez14. wrote:
M-5 wrote:

LOL , I guess running a chainsaw standing on the forks while back tire spins in the air would be more than most could take around on here.

Been there done that. Keeps things interesting

I don't see anything wrong with that as long as you wear hearing protection.........saftey first. :nod:
3 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:18 pm

Farming...things can go from well, to he!!..in a blink..
2 x
It's that time of year, where cattle go from being conservatives,too liberals...

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 pm

What are rops?
0 x

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm

5S Cattle wrote:What are rops?

Roll over protection. Just roll bars
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:43 pm

5S Cattle wrote:What are rops?

I reckon its the official term for what we call rollbars.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 pm

I have looked the grim reaper in the eye enough times that lifting a back tire off the ground doesn't even count. Lifting two tires on the same side off the ground will get your attention. Having no where to go when with a bad bull is actually better. Running to a fence will get you hurt. Step toward and around the bull. You can turn a lot sharper than he can.
4 x

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:28 pm

Dave wrote:Having no where to go when with a bad bull is actually better. Running to a fence will get you hurt. Step toward and around the bull. You can turn a lot sharper than he can.

Helps to have a big crowbar when doing this!
2 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:49 pm

I pretty much refuse to lift bales in a turn. It may take a little more time or thought but Ive experienced, seen, and heard of too many bad things happening. I always put a bale on the rear also when using the fil. Short cuts, distractiond and getting in a hurry always bite you in the rear.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 pm

Turned one over 46 years ago. No rops. Luckly it threw me far enough to get away from it. Had both rear wheels off the ground several times.
Also have turned several bulldozers over but they move slow and turn over slow.
2 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:39 am

Dave wrote:I have looked the grim reaper in the eye enough times that lifting a back tire off the ground doesn't even count. Lifting two tires on the same side off the ground will get your attention. Having no where to go when with a bad bull is actually better. Running to a fence will get you hurt. Step toward and around the bull. You can turn a lot sharper than he can.

I believe both tires on the left were up (a good bit); I was angled so could only see the back one. Came up a good bit and hovered. I instinctively yelled his name (that's all); it hovered for what seemed like forever. When I asked him later, he said he was staying calm and making sure he didn't panic and raise the grabber/bale by accident (instead of lowering it). Interestingly, I think I was more shaken than he was. Two years ago, we were hiking on a bit of snow in the Tetons and I slid down with nothing to stop me (mountain went straight down to never-neverland; I eventually stopped). He was more shaken than I was. (I just figured it was bye bye and cursed my lifelong klutziness).
We went white water rafting on the Gauley last year (about the 6th or 7th time) and the raft flipped in a class 5.
I think we should stay in and start watching I Love Lucy reruns. Much easier on the heart.
1 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:41 am

kenny thomas wrote:Turned one over 46 years ago. No rops. Luckly it threw me far enough to get away from it. Had both rear wheels off the ground several times.
Also have turned several bulldozers over but they move slow and turn over slow.

good thing it threw you, I've heard it's near impossible to jump clear...
1 x
It's that time of year, where cattle go from being conservatives,too liberals...

CCCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby CCCowman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:31 pm

Same here. These hills of East Tennessee can produce some hairy situations. I ain't scared of a tractor but I do have a lot of respect for one. Things can go wrong in a blink of an eye.
1 x
Some people are just dumber in the head than a hog is in the butt.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:25 pm

There was a local bucking bull guy here that rolled one into a hole with a fire going. About as horrible a way to go as it can get.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

Return to “Beginners Board”