Close call

The place to start if you are new!
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Close call

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:36 pm

Dave wrote:I have looked the grim reaper in the eye enough times that lifting a back tire off the ground doesn't even count. Lifting two tires on the same side off the ground will get your attention. Having no where to go when with a bad bull is actually better. Running to a fence will get you hurt. Step toward and around the bull. You can turn a lot sharper than he can.

:nod: :nod: Been there! It was NOT a pleasant experience. I was fortunate enough to "right" the situation, shut down the machine, got off and walked away to think about things for a while. :cowboy:
1 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:41 pm

boondocks wrote:
Dave wrote:I have looked the grim reaper in the eye enough times that lifting a back tire off the ground doesn't even count. Lifting two tires on the same side off the ground will get your attention. Having no where to go when with a bad bull is actually better. Running to a fence will get you hurt. Step toward and around the bull. You can turn a lot sharper than he can.

I believe both tires on the left were up (a good bit); I was angled so could only see the back one. Came up a good bit and hovered. I instinctively yelled his name (that's all); it hovered for what seemed like forever. When I asked him later, he said he was staying calm and making sure he didn't panic and raise the grabber/bale by accident (instead of lowering it). Interestingly, I think I was more shaken than he was. Two years ago, we were hiking on a bit of snow in the Tetons and I slid down with nothing to stop me (mountain went straight down to never-neverland; I eventually stopped). He was more shaken than I was. (I just figured it was bye bye and cursed my lifelong klutziness).
We went white water rafting on the Gauley last year (about the 6th or 7th time) and the raft flipped in a class 5.
I think we should stay in and start watching I Love Lucy reruns. Much easier on the heart.

:shock: :lol: One thing about it, your life isn't dull! Just think of all the great stories that these events have created.

I think witnessing the event, rather than being the participant, can be more unnerving. I'm not saying that being the one having the experience doesn't cause one to "pucker", but watching it, I think, is worse.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:19 am

Workinonit Farm wrote: :shock: :lol: One thing about it, your life isn't dull! Just think of all the great stories that these events have created.

I think witnessing the event, rather than being the participant, can be more unnerving. I'm not saying that being the one having the experience doesn't cause one to "pucker", but watching it, I think, is worse.

I'm a bad combination of my parents. My dad was (is) a total hellion. Back when they didn't have bars over the passenger seats, he would change cars on a roller coaster. At the top of the incline!
I have an adventurous streak but am also a worrywart--bad combo :lol:
1 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Watch out for ruts in the snow. Ground can look perfectly smooth under the snow. Been there!
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Watch out for ruts in the snow. Ground can look perfectly smooth under the snow. Been there!

The snow hides a lot of surprises! :nod:
2 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:48 pm

Good lady friend of mine, her husband was pushing brush off a bluff. Like he had done many times in the past.. got on a rock that was wet,slick and covered with moss...went over and down 80 ft. The tractor was upright and still running when they found him..tire was worn down and nearly slick from spinning on a rock...later she wanted to sell me the tractor..
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Soo many stories, too little typing ability, be aware always. Farming is THE most dangerous profession.
2 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:35 pm

I know most of you have been driving tractors etc since you were in your car seats up on the tractor (ha--I kid. But only about you ever being in a car seat lol), but for those of us who came to farm equipment (etc) later in life, I have gotten some benefit from the Tractor Mike episodes on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcJfWL ... fy6kpfZE3g
He has all sorts of tractor-related topics. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slWru6-R44I
Anybody else ever watched any of those? He seems semi-knowledgable?
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:18 am

snoopdog wrote:Soo many stories, too little typing ability, be aware always. Farming is THE most dangerous profession.

Yes it is! Just happened Tuesday:
https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Reno- ... 99291.html
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:36 am

TCRanch wrote:
snoopdog wrote:Soo many stories, too little typing ability, be aware always. Farming is THE most dangerous profession.

Carelessness, the younger generation depending on electronics for their safety. My son puts the electronic shuttle shift in neutral and gets off the tractor to work on something all the time with the transmission still in gear. I made him read this thank you.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:39 am

TCRanch wrote:

Those safety features are so annoying and evidently don't even work!
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:46 am

Actually it ranks about #4. But it is still significantly more dangerous than some occupations which are considered dangerous by the general public.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:29 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

Carelessness, the younger generation depending on electronics for their safety. My son puts the electronic shuttle shift in neutral and gets off the tractor to work on something all the time with the transmission still in gear. I made him read this thank you.

A friend of ours was killed last Feb. His truck was stuck in neutral, he didn't engage the emergency brake, crawled under to pop it into gear & the truck rolled over his head. Left behind a wife & 3 daughters, the youngest all of 4 months old.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:30 am

TCRanch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
TCRanch wrote:Yes it is! Just happened Tuesday:

A friend of ours was killed last Feb. His truck was stuck in neutral, he didn't engage the emergency brake, crawled under to pop it into gear & the truck rolled over his head. Left behind a wife & 3 daughters, the youngest all of 4 months old.

That's horrible.
3 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Return to “Beginners Board”