Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:07 am

Debating if i should keep these two heifers I have one angus 8 month ones a 9 month baldie im stuck in between waiting until spring or selling mid November. I know they will get a lot heavier over the next few months I think around 500 ish maybe a little more . I was also thinking penning them and feeding them putting a bale of hay out for them until the middle of November then take them to sale.
0 x

jschoolcraft86
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:13 am
Location: Seguin, Texas

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby jschoolcraft86 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:33 am

That's a good question, have you looked at the market reports or anything to try and get a feel for what prices you'll bring when? I think the numbers normally drop between now and November (I might be wrong) so unless you can put on enough weight to offset the drop I wouldn't wait. I sell all my calves in the fall but that is mainly because I don't want to have to worry about feeding those calves enough to keep them growing while still making sure my bred cows have enough nutrition.

My neighbor goes the opposite route and is holding hers until the spring so they'll weigh more. I can see the logic there I just didn't think that fit as well for me.

I'm not sure if any of this really helps much, and I'd take it with a grain of salt because I'm still trying to figure stuff out myself ;)
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:33 am

jschoolcraft86 wrote:That's a good question, have you looked at the market reports or anything to try and get a feel for what prices you'll bring when? I think the numbers normally drop between now and November (I might be wrong) so unless you can put on enough weight to offset the drop I wouldn't wait. I sell all my calves in the fall but that is mainly because I don't want to have to worry about feeding those calves enough to keep them growing while still making sure my bred cows have enough nutrition.

My neighbor goes the opposite route and is holding hers until the spring so they'll weigh more. I can see the logic there I just didn't think that fit as well for me.

I'm not sure if any of this really helps much, and I'd take it with a grain of salt because I'm still trying to figure stuff out myself ;)

Prices are a little low that’s why I was debating but I didn’t know exactly how much more weight the could put on by spring I’m back and forth so much on waiting or selling them next month.
0 x

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15585
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:40 am

Bfields30 wrote:Debating if i should keep these two heifers I have one angus 8 month ones a 9 month baldie im stuck in between waiting until spring or selling mid November. I know they will get a lot heavier over the next few months I think around 500 ish maybe a little more . I was also thinking penning them and feeding them putting a bale of hay out for them until the middle of November then take them to sale.

I hope they are heavier than that, even now..id hold em and breed em about May...
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:55 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Debating if i should keep these two heifers I have one angus 8 month ones a 9 month baldie im stuck in between waiting until spring or selling mid November. I know they will get a lot heavier over the next few months I think around 500 ish maybe a little more . I was also thinking penning them and feeding them putting a bale of hay out for them until the middle of November then take them to sale.

I hope they are heavier than that, even now..id hold em and breed em about May...
I suck at eyeing them on weight they might be heavier but i try to guess the least possible i know I don’t want to keep them but I know i could possibly breed them then sell them bred sure more money for sure
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:53 am

Are you saying they weigh 500? Or you think they’ll put on 500 more by spring?
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 am

5S Cattle wrote:Are you saying they weigh 500? Or you think they’ll put on 500 more by spring?

There between 500-600 just a guess...
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8195
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:48 pm

Our calf market is dropping. No value in keeping them to mid Nov in that case. Your market may differ.
Our market usually bounces up in Jan., but you will need to supplement with some grain to make that work well.
1 x
Stocker Steve

turklilley
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 166
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:45 pm
Location: Central PA

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby turklilley » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:48 pm

If you have the feed, you will do better in the spring. Somebody would love those to turn out in his fresh
grass. With a little feed you can get 2 lbs per day easily.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby Bfields30 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:52 pm

turklilley wrote:If you have the feed, you will do better in the spring. Somebody would love those to turn out in his fresh
grass. With a little feed you can get 2 lbs per day easily.

Thanks will do that
0 x

User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8482
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby 1982vett » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:43 am

Bfields30 wrote:
turklilley wrote:If you have the feed, you will do better in the spring. Somebody would love those to turn out in his fresh
grass. With a little feed you can get 2 lbs per day easily.

Thanks will do that

Please remember to report back and tell us if it was worth your efforts.
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:49 am

1982vett wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:
turklilley wrote:If you have the feed, you will do better in the spring. Somebody would love those to turn out in his fresh
grass. With a little feed you can get 2 lbs per day easily.

Thanks will do that

Please remember to report back and tell us if it was worth your efforts.

Most definitely will.
1 x

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9330
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Contact:

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:52 am

Decision should be based on facilities to feed them, time/labor to feed them, and available feed - and - most important - willing to risk losing one or all.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby Bfields30 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:53 am

1982vett wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:
turklilley wrote:If you have the feed, you will do better in the spring. Somebody would love those to turn out in his fresh
grass. With a little feed you can get 2 lbs per day easily.

Thanks will do that

Please remember to report back and tell us if it was worth your efforts.

So I’ll be selling them next weekend nov 16-17 had them penned for the past week in half feeding them everyday hoping i get lucky on prices friend of mine told me 500s plus this past weekend brought 1.30-1.42 so hopefully i can do good
2 x

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 594
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Postby sstterry » Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
1982vett wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Thanks will do that

Please remember to report back and tell us if it was worth your efforts.

So I’ll be selling them next weekend nov 16-17 had them penned for the past week in half feeding them everyday hoping i get lucky on prices friend of mine told me 500s plus this past weekend brought 1.30-1.42 so hopefully i can do good


How did they do? I hope they do better than prices are here!
1 x


Return to “Beginners Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests