Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

The place to start if you are new!
BC
GURU
GURU

Re: Selling or keeping two heifers winter spring

Post by BC » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:55 am

What a difference a week makes with all the order buyers back in the market. Last week the sale reported:
300 to 400 lbs - $90 to $137.50 per cwt.
400 to 500 lbs - $90 to $139 per cwt.
Over 500 lbs - $75 to $127.50 per cwt.

This week:
300 to 400 lbs - $90 to $155 per cwt.
400 to 500 lbs - $85 to $142.50 per cwt.
Over 500 lbs - $80 to $137.50 per cwt.

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:20 am

What ages do you guys stop feeding your replacements as well as what weight do you get them too when you stop feeding them.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:50 pm

My replacements get whole shell corn (about 5#/hd/day) + baleage until they are bred in April and then turned out on grass - never to be on grain again unless they make it into the show string. Our winters are brutal and they do not have any protection.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Bfields30 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:44 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:My replacements get whole shell corn (about 5#/hd/day) + baleage until they are bred in April and then turned out on grass - never to be on grain again unless they make it into the show string. Our winters are brutal and they do not have any protection.

I have two baldie half sisters one 13 months the other 11 months and I have a tiger that’s 12 months the the 13 month baldie is about 750-800 the 11 month is about 725-800 and the tiger is 650 ish her build is different from the other two. I wanted to Separate them give them hay as well as some feed few times a week before there 15 months but I heard and seen people say you don’t want them
To fat mine aren’t fat but they have good condition but I just want them to be at the right weight when I get them a.i at 15 months. I have out mineral tub I have blocks out as well. Or should just let them be.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:54 am

The fat problem I have seen and read about regarding heifers is during gestation. If the bred heifer is still growing from the extra groceries, so is the calf. Years ago, I kept feeding a long bred heifer too long and ended up jacking out a 100lb dead calf.
I'm not sure what (if any) a 'little' extra weight would have on conception rates......hard to keep them from eating grass all the time.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:23 am

Bfields - you have better heats & conception rate if the heifers are on a gaining ration. The only time I have ever heard that you would have breeding problems is if they are pig fat. Now, saying that, I caution that you do NOT want them to start laying fat in their udder before breeding. Any milk cell that gets fat in it prior to being pregnant, will never produce milk - no matter how skinny they may get. That's why creep feeding and letting heifer calves get roly poly is NOT good.
I want my heifer to have a little layer, with no fat pockets showing at tail head and definitely no fat showing in the udder.
5#/hd/day is not much WSC during our harsh winter. My heifers are usually just at maybe a 5.5 BCS during the winter. I will increase their corn to maybe 7# 3-4 weeks prior to AI to get them gaining more during breeding. You have to learn to BCS your cattle. "eye of the master"
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."