Borrowed neighbors bull

The place to start if you are new!
coriraz
Beginner
Beginner

Borrowed neighbors bull

Postby coriraz » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi I’m new here and am looking for some advice. Our long time cattle farmer and very kind neighbors have let us newbies borrow one of their bulls 2 years in a row for our 8 cows/heifers. Both times have resulted in great healthy calves. We would like to continue using their bull but they won’t let us pay them or do anything for them in return. I feel like we are taking advantage of them. Any advice or ideas of ways to pay them back would really be greatly appreciated.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Re: Borrowed neighbors bull

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:11 am

Find out what they're into. My neighbor is really into wine. I know that I can always get him a bottle after he helps on something. Also, we had a neighbor plow us out with his tractor one winter. He never sent a bill, but it's not free to do that. I sent him a check for $100, and probably underpaid. He cashed the check and we've never talked about it, but I know that it meant a lot to him.
7 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:51 am

I usually give a gift card to local restaurant or even a store.
3 x

ChrisB
GURU
GURU

Postby ChrisB » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:52 am

Or you could make a donation in their name to the Human Fund. ;-)
2 x

76 Bar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby 76 Bar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:39 pm

Your appreciation of your neighbor's generosity and desire to compensate him is admirable. :clap:
You've gotten some excellent suggestions. I especially liked Bestoutwest's. Whatever you opt to do, I can assure you it will be appreciated.
2 x

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Just a small token gift would suffice. He would probably prefer to have you use his bull than have an underutilised bull of yours looking to get in with his cows and wanting to fight his bulls.

Ken
7 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:56 pm

wbvs58 wrote:Just a small token gift would suffice. He would probably prefer to have you use his bull than have an underutilised bull of yours looking to get in with his cows and wanting to fight his bulls.

Ken

exactly..

the best gift you could give him is to keep using his bulls.
1 x

OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby OleScout » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:01 pm

I had a similar situation. Old gentleman's bull came calling on 10 heifers I had next door to him. He came over hat in hand and said "Captain, we got a problem, my bull has broke in and bred your heifers". I told him no problem and I really appreciate it since I was going to have to haul a bull over there. That was late in the fall so at Xmas I took him a ham to thank him for the use of the bull and visit. That turned in to an annual thing up until his death.
6 x

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 pm

All good suggestions! Gift card, bottle of wine or favorite whiskey, a ham or perhaps help out with some work one time; if you see that they may need a hand fixing fence, trimming shrubs, weed-eating the side of the road, something like that.
3 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Ham or choice of a heifer calf
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:36 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:All good suggestions! Gift card, bottle of wine or favorite whiskey, a ham or perhaps help out with some work one time; if you see that they may need a hand fixing fence, trimming shrubs, weed-eating the side of the road, something like that.

Ham or turkey..just in time for thanksgiving...
3 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:59 pm

When you butcher, some hamburger and a few steaks from one of the offspring sired by his bull.
2 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:11 pm

4 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:57 pm

anything is good, i had a similar situation with my neighbor helping me out and took a entire day with my texas fence fixer( barbwire tightener) and got his old barbwire fence in good shape. that tool is awesome btw. he didnt want anything in return but it made me feel good doing that for him
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:03 pm

One of my neighbors, at a remote pasture location, allows me to use electric for the fencer and water for the cows. I have offered to pay him rent. He won't hear of it. Every December, I send him a Christmas card with a $100 gift certificate to a local "fancy" restaurant. He is always very appreciative and says it works out perfect for their anniversary dinner. Also help him catch his cows when they get out and cull dead hogs for him when he goes away for the weekend.
2 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

Return to “Beginners Board”