Borrowed neighbors bull

The place to start if you are new!
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Borrowed neighbors bull

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:19 pm

bball wrote:One of my neighbors, at a remote pasture location, allows me to use electric for the fencer and water for the cows. I have offered to pay him rent. He won't hear of it. Every December, I send him a Christmas card with a $100 gift certificate to a local "fancy" restaurant. He is always very appreciative and says it works out perfect for their anniversary dinner. Also help him catch his cows when they get out and cull dead hogs for him when he goes away for the weekend.
how do you cull dead hogs??dont being dead qualify em??
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:24 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
bball wrote:One of my neighbors, at a remote pasture location, allows me to use electric for the fencer and water for the cows. I have offered to pay him rent. He won't hear of it. Every December, I send him a Christmas card with a $100 gift certificate to a local "fancy" restaurant. He is always very appreciative and says it works out perfect for their anniversary dinner. Also help him catch his cows when they get out and cull dead hogs for him when he goes away for the weekend.

Pull the deads out of the barn.
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:32 pm

bball wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:

i see..most of my hog experience is at the table..
1 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:All good suggestions! Gift card, bottle of wine or favorite whiskey, a ham or perhaps help out with some work one time; if you see that they may need a hand fixing fence, trimming shrubs, weed-eating the side of the road, something like that.

Shew, for a ham and a bottle of whiskey you can borrow my bull.
3 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:38 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
bball wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote: how do you cull dead hogs??dont being dead qualify em??

i see..most of my hog experience is at the table..

He's a heck of a good guy. Semi-retired. Buys young, rough calfs at sale barn and finishes on cheap inputs. Also has 3 older hog barns that he raises hogs in. Foul smelling business.
One of the hardest working retirees i know.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:04 pm

If you’re genuinely thankful, your neighbor will be able to tell. Sometimes that in itself is enough. Some people just enjoy helping others. I know I do bc plenty of people have helped me along the way. Any groceries such as meat or jellies or the likes around the holidays will certainly be put to good use. If it’s homemade then it adds even more of a personal touch.
2 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:19 pm

ChrisB wrote:Or you could make a donation in their name to the Human Fund. ;-)

Is that you George?
2 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

coriraz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby coriraz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:38 am

ChrisB wrote:Or you could make a donation in their name to the Human Fund. ;-)

Ha yes Costanza was brilliant...or i could name a star after them. :lol:
1 x

coriraz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby coriraz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:43 am

Bestoutwest wrote:Find out what they're into. My neighbor is really into wine. I know that I can always get him a bottle after he helps on something. Also, we had a neighbor plow us out with his tractor one winter. He never sent a bill, but it's not free to do that. I sent him a check for $100, and probably underpaid. He cashed the check and we've never talked about it, but I know that it meant a lot to him.

Great ideas! Thanks! I'm sure your neighbor really appreciated the check. :D
0 x

coriraz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby coriraz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:49 am

JMJ Farms wrote:If you’re genuinely thankful, your neighbor will be able to tell. Sometimes that in itself is enough. Some people just enjoy helping others. I know I do bc plenty of people have helped me along the way. Any groceries such as meat or jellies or the likes around the holidays will certainly be put to good use. If it’s homemade then it adds even more of a personal touch.

I agree - I'm pretty sure they know how thankful we are for all their help but I'm sure some homemade goodies would convince them even more. Thanks for the idea.
0 x

coriraz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby coriraz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:51 am

[quote="wbvs58"]Just a small token gift would suffice. He would probably prefer to have you use his bull than have an underutilised bull of yours looking to get in with his cows and wanting to fight his bulls.

Ken[/quote

Agreed! Hadn't thought of that.
0 x

coriraz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby coriraz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:55 am

callmefence wrote:A gripple fence repair kit.https://www.farmfencesolutions.com/prod ... epair-kit/

Great idea. I'll look into it. Thanks.
0 x

coriraz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby coriraz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:58 am

MtnCows93 wrote:anything is good, i had a similar situation with my neighbor helping me out and took a entire day with my texas fence fixer( barbwire tightener) and got his old barbwire fence in good shape. that tool is awesome btw. he didnt want anything in return but it made me feel good doing that for him

That was really cool of you to do that - I'll have to check it out!
0 x

coriraz
Beginner
Beginner

Postby coriraz » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:14 am

Wow! So many great ideas and I loved reading the stories about neighbors helping neighbors...that's what it's all about! I really appreciate Y'all taking the time to give me ideas...my wheels are turning now. :)
2 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:55 am

bball wrote:He's a heck of a good guy. Also has 3 older hog barns that he raises hogs in. Foul smelling business.

Nose blindness.
Had a cousin raised on a hog farm and he honestly didn't know hogs smelled until he went away to college and returned. Mink farming is worse, the oils get in your skin and won't wash away for weeks. Combined with nose blindness can be very embarrassing.
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”