Borrowed neighbors bull

The place to start if you are new!
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Borrowed neighbors bull

Postby TCRanch » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:02 am

A sincere "thank you" and simply returning the favor goes a long way - that's what makes good neighbors. That said, one of our neighbors bought me a pair of goat skin work gloves after I took care of his cattle for a week. One of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received! Who, in the world of farming/ranching, doesn't always need good gloves?
2 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:14 am

Son of Butch wrote:
bball wrote:He's a heck of a good guy. Also has 3 older hog barns that he raises hogs in. Foul smelling business.

Nose blindness.
Had a cousin raised on a hog farm and he honestly didn't know hogs smelled until he went away to college and returned. Mink farming is worse, the oils get in your skin and won't wash away for weeks. Combined with nose blindness can be very embarrassing.

i went in a 1100 hod house with just piglets and when I came home I had to shower and change all my clothes I stunk so bad.. Just for a few minutes standing in there.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:21 am

ddd75 wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:
bball wrote:He's a heck of a good guy. Also has 3 older hog barns that he raises hogs in. Foul smelling business.

Nose blindness.
Had a cousin raised on a hog farm and he honestly didn't know hogs smelled until he went away to college and returned. Mink farming is worse, the oils get in your skin and won't wash away for weeks. Combined with nose blindness can be very embarrassing.

i went in a 1100 hod house with just piglets and when I came home I had to shower and change all my clothes I stunk so bad.. Just for a few minutes standing in there.

Yep, then skin a few and even when you think you got it all out of your clothes and off yourself, days later the woman in line next to you at the grocery store will beg to differ. :)
1 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:07 am

Son of Butch wrote:

Nose blindness.

My son hates the smell of dairies, but I tell him it’s just the smell of money.
3 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:09 pm

TC has a good idea. The value of the gift doesn't matter but buying something really nice that someone usually won't buy for themselves is the best gift.

Oh by the way, A Texas Fence tightener would be a good gift. They are very handy in the right situation like when a tree falls on the fence. My mother in law gave me one years ago and I thought it was a gimmick but I love the little tool.
1 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:Nose blindness.

Yep, then skin a few and even when you think you got it all out of your clothes and off yourself, days later the woman in line next to you at the grocery store will beg to differ. :)

I made the mistake of walking into the house after checking hogs once....just once! Mama bear let me know that will never happen again!
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:10 am

coriraz wrote:
ChrisB wrote:Or you could make a donation in their name to the Human Fund. ;-)

Ha yes Costanza was brilliant...or i could name a star after them. :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Seinfeld-Human-F ... B01MXR151M
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

BigBear
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby BigBear » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:59 pm

We do something similar by borrowing a bull from the neighbor. He always brings us his best and always fanatic calves. He always tells me I’m doing him the favor by feeding his big a$$ in the middle of winter. I have borrowed many things from the neighbors and a homemade pie sure goes straight to the heart. Wife loves to make pies so I put her on the case when I need it. I have used the pies for everything from borrowing equipment to hunting permission. Every old farmer loves a homemade pie!
1 x
Well he's tall in the saddle, short on the cash
The last to quit, the first to buy the beer

Return to “Beginners Board”