What to do with a ruined heifer.

The place to start if you are new!
ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher

What to do with a ruined heifer.

Postby ClinchValley » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:37 am

Have a 2016 model 1000 poundish heifer, pulled a dead calf this spring, and it was a very hard pull. She has been with the bull since. Have seen her cycling and serviced the last couple months, and have decided she isn't going to be able to take.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with her. Ideally, I would like to throw her on feed for a little while and take her to the butcher.

Any issue with beefing an animal that's carried a calf, as far as the meat goes? So far, we've only butchered an 18 month old bull, which was delicious. Ive been getting mixed opinions around me on beefing this girl.

I figure it would beat the snot out of grocery store meat and would be the best bang for my buck vs selling her open at the sale barn.

Thanks.
0 x
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: What to do with a ruined heifer.

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:40 am

The pulling may have done cervical or uterine damage.

But if you feed her out for a couple months or more, I cannot think of any reason that the meat would not be good.
3 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:10 am

ClinchValley wrote:Have a 2016 model 1000 poundish heifer, pulled a dead calf this spring, and it was a very hard pull. She has been with the bull since. Have seen her cycling and serviced the last couple months, and have decided she isn't going to be able to take.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with her. Ideally, I would like to throw her on feed for a little while and take her to the butcher.

Any issue with beefing an animal that's carried a calf, as far as the meat goes? So far, we've only butchered an 18 month old bull, which was delicious. Ive been getting mixed opinions around me on beefing this girl.

I figure it would beat the snot out of grocery store meat and would be the best bang for my buck vs selling her open at the sale barn.

Thanks.

Have you gave her a shot of cystorelin? And then lute a few weeks later?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:30 pm

ClinchValley wrote:Have a 2016 model 1000 poundish heifer
Ideally, I would like to throw her on feed for a little while and take her to the butcher.

Any issue with beefing an animal that's carried a calf, as far as the meat goes?

Ideally butchering before 30 months old is best.... but
Thousands of pregnant and open females of all ages just like her are butchered every year with no meat issues.

Take her temperature to make sure she doesn't have any low grade infections.
If healthy you are good to go... feed her as long as you want and then bon appetit. :tiphat:

p.s.
normal cattle temperatures
adult 102
calves 103
2 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:05 pm

I'm going to do put one that slipped 2 pregnancies in a row into the freezer if I find someone to split the meat with,.. she's also a 2016 model, 1200ish lbs and in nice shape.. should be good eats
1 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Beginners Board”