Bad or good idea buying few light Breds or heavies

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Bad or good idea buying few light Breds or heavies

Postby Bfields30 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:24 pm

farmerjan wrote:If you can buy them direct you might be better off from a health standpoint. I am not in an area that brahma, or any kind of "ear" cattle would bring any money. Really, here, they wouldn't bring $500 bred. So I can't help you with prices on them. But if you are real good at feeding and getting growth, the smaller ones would be good. However, if you are not willing to put the feed into them, then older breds are better. I would go to the sale barn and see what some are bringing in your area, or get a few of the market reports for your closest sales and then determine if what the neighbors are asking is halfway close to fair. Do you want to be putting feed into a growing young animal, or do you want to do the "calving thing"? It just depends on what you really want to do. We are better at breds and calving in general.

If you had to advise me what do you tnink is better to do ?
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:54 am

Bfields30 wrote:
farmerjan wrote:If you can buy them direct you might be better off from a health standpoint. I am not in an area that brahma, or any kind of "ear" cattle would bring any money. Really, here, they wouldn't bring $500 bred. So I can't help you with prices on them. But if you are real good at feeding and getting growth, the smaller ones would be good. However, if you are not willing to put the feed into them, then older breds are better. I would go to the sale barn and see what some are bringing in your area, or get a few of the market reports for your closest sales and then determine if what the neighbors are asking is halfway close to fair. Do you want to be putting feed into a growing young animal, or do you want to do the "calving thing"? It just depends on what you really want to do. We are better at breds and calving in general.

If you had to advise me what do you tnink is better to do ?

We have bought older cows in the past for 4-5 years. Some we're one and done, some surprisingly enough stayed with us thru 3-5 calves. We didn't over feed, but we did vaccinate and worm them twice within 30-45 days of receiving them. It's amazing what a little grass and wormer will do to an older or poorer conditioned cow. We stayed away from smooth mouth cows, and steered towards short solids. I'm in Texas also and we could pick up 4-5 month (SS) bred cows all day here for $600-$700. If you are buying them now you will have some additional feed costs, but with short solid cows you should get at least 2 calves if not several. Just vaccinate/worm, watch them close, get to know them and let them do the rest. Good luck to you. Let us know what you decide and share pics.
2 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:50 am

these prices are so low i do'nt think you could go wrong buying anything
2 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:02 pm

I don't think you can go wrong on either, but you have to do what you feel better at. I personally am picking up some breds here, but we are not really set up for alot of "feeder" type cattle. That might change as we have sold a bunch of old cows this year and could switch "their field " to a feeder type field. Some will depend on the grain sorghum we chop the next few days. It is past prime, but have been unable to get the ones that "promised to do it" to get it done, so we bought a small used chopper and are going to do it ourself in the next couple of days. This way we will not be at anyone's mercy or whim to get it done anymore. We don't mind paying for it to be done custom... but when they have a breakdown and decide to not fix it til this winter sometime, and the other custom guy is done for the year and won't take his equipment out again... well, we will depend on our own self. This chopper has been used by a friend, not a ton of hard use and we will certainly not be over doing it on 10-30 acres. We might see how it goes and get a grass head and start to chop the forage sorghum too next year. Again, 10-30 acres... not like we are going to be doing 50-100 acres of corn or anything.
1 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:13 pm

ddd75 wrote:these prices are so low i don't think you could go wrong buying anything

Prices can always go lower. I have an gambler Uncle who went all in on oil stocks when oil dropped below $60/barrel. "Half Price" :banana: He lost his be nice. :cry2:

My guess is cows will drop some more and feeders will rebound. But this is just a guess.
I think a good sell/buy trade is to sell steers and buy back heifers. Anyone ran the numbers on this?
2 x
Stocker Steve

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Coosh71 wrote:We have bought older cows in the past for 4-5 years. Some we're one and done, some surprisingly enough stayed with us thru 3-5 calves. We didn't over feed, but we did vaccinate and worm them twice within 30-45 days of receiving them. It's amazing what a little grass and wormer will do to an older or poorer conditioned cow. We stayed away from smooth mouth cows, and steered towards short solids. I'm in Texas also and we could pick up 4-5 month (SS) bred cows all day here for $600-$700

Are breds usually cheaper in Texas, or are there just so many to choose from?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:35 pm

I have always done good when able to buy a decent bred cow for one bid over the kill buyers. If I had a home for them I think they would be this years plan.
1 x

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Coosh71 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:38 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:
Coosh71 wrote:We have bought older cows in the past for 4-5 years. Some we're one and done, some surprisingly enough stayed with us thru 3-5 calves. We didn't over feed, but we did vaccinate and worm them twice within 30-45 days of receiving them. It's amazing what a little grass and wormer will do to an older or poorer conditioned cow. We stayed away from smooth mouth cows, and steered towards short solids. I'm in Texas also and we could pick up 4-5 month (SS) bred cows all day here for $600-$700

Are breds usually cheaper in Texas, or are there just so many to choose from?

No not usually. The market for cows period has been real bad for the past 2 years. Neighbor bought 15 heavy bred RA cows in 2015 for $2000/hd. Those same cows today would be $1100 if he was lucky. Just no market to sell to right now it seems.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Dave wrote:I have always done good when able to buy a decent bred cow for one bid over the kill buyers. If I had a home for them I think they would be this years plan.

Hay prices are way up in parts of the mid west, due to winter kill plus the 2018 drought that was centered over Missouri. So, even with the lower current cow prices, there are areas where there will not be a 2019 profit from calving out light bred cows. Bad buying idea...

Need to know your cow carrying cost per day.
Need to know when to hold um.
Need to know when to walk away.

Last edited by Stocker Steve on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Stocker Steve

RanchMan90
GURU
GURU

Postby RanchMan90 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:14 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
ddd75 wrote:these prices are so low i don't think you could go wrong buying anything

Prices can always go lower. I have an gambler Uncle who went all in on oil stocks when oil dropped below $60/barrel. "Half Price" :banana: He lost his be nice. :cry2:

My guess is cows will drop some more and feeders will rebound. But this is just a guess.
I think a good sell/buy trade is to sell steers and buy back heifers. Anyone ran the numbers on this?
The sell buy profit looks good on that trade and very small price spread on feeders. Slower rate of return
0 x
The secret to getting ahead is getting started ~ Mark Twain

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:51 pm

Yeah I haven’t seen any for sell for under 750 dollars. I’m looking for some older ones I can get maybe one or two calfs out of
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Bfields30 wrote:Yeah I haven’t seen any for sell for under 750 dollars. I’m looking for some older ones I can get maybe one or two calfs out of

where have you been going not to see any sell for under $750?
0 x

Silver
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Silver » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:40 pm

After reading this I'm feeling pretty good about my cull cow prices. Feel bad for folks doing their figuring on the prices referred to on this thread.
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:04 pm

BC wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:Yeah I haven’t seen any for sell for under 750 dollars. I’m looking for some older ones I can get maybe one or two calfs out of

where have you been going not to see any sell for under $750?

Facebook and people i know I’ve only been to sell twice early summer
0 x

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:31 pm

anyone had any luck with longhorns bred to angus bulls.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”