Grass only?

The place to start if you are new!
victornguyen
Beginner
Beginner

Grass only?

Post by victornguyen » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 am

I have 24 acres in FL with lots of grass mostly Bahia. I was planning to raise up some heifers and was hoping they could just live off the pasture. Assuming the land is not overstocked is this possible? Grass, free choice minerals, and clean water. I know someone who feeds their cows grain and hay every day and they spend more time setting in the area they are fed them actually grazing the land they have access too. This person said if I don't feed my cows they'll just get skinny.
Opinions welcomed

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Grass only?

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Might support a few on 24 acres....for awhile.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Post by wbvs58 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:06 pm

You just have to have a good eye for them and respond early with extra feed if the season goes bad. Things take longer to recover from a bad event when grazed continuously so just be prepared to feed when necessary as you cannot always budget on good times.

Ken

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:14 pm

things to take into consideration..stocking rate, fertilization,drought years,,and most important the type of cattle to convert that low protein grass into pounds...some can stand knee deep in grass,and look like somebody stole their gutts..you'll need to keep a certain amount of hay on hand just in case..and they'll always be a just in case...
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Would suggest studying up on soil health and planning to have some winter annuals. Will be a challenge.

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by MtnCows93 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:06 pm

i dont know what the bahia grass is like in florida, but her i could easily do it. if the grass isnt high enough in protein you need to supplement a little feed. i would guess your gonna turn them into cows and not just trying to put weight on them?

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Gators Rule » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:46 am

I'm a Florida guy, and run the cows on bahia pasture. Your cows would be okay in most years, depending on rainfall levels, and if you fertilize correctly....but only in part of the year. I'm about an hour east of Sarasota and south of Lakeland, and come October, don't be expecting the bahia to grow until spring. Also, a frost will knock the bahia down, and a hard frost will set it back instantly. I started feeding hay this week. Annually, I feed loose mineral and trace mineral blocks year round, and supplement the rolls of hay with molasses tubs. I do not supply my cows with feed. I would probably go as far to say that if you don't do what I do as a minimum, your cows are going to struggle. As a side note, my soil is very good.
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Post by dieselbeef » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:52 am

ell you aren't too far from me then..Myakka? duette? pm me about citrus pellets to help you out...
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Gators Rule » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 pm

DB, I’m in Hardee County. Wauchula. We fed citrus pellets about 30-35 years ago when I lived in PolkCounty but stopped for reasons I can’t remember. Are you feeding it?

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Gators Rule » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:23 pm

dieselbeef wrote:ell you aren't too far from me then..Myakka? duette? pm me about citrus pellets to help you out...

I should add that I overseeded a small pasture with Prine Ryegrass last week.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Post by dieselbeef » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:08 am

Gators Rule wrote:DB, I’m in Hardee County. Wauchula. We fed citrus pellets about 30-35 years ago when I lived in PolkCounty but stopped for reasons I can’t remember. Are you feeding it?

yessir..pellets not peel....I sell it as well..im in Myakka on Wauchula rd and 64

im all over craigslist
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later