The place to start if you are new!
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: This is why I love cubes...

Postby TCRanch » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:08 am

TCRanch wrote:
pdfangus wrote:
TCRanch wrote:I've always referred to them as cubes & yet we used to have a cake feeder on the back of the truck. But just bought some yesterday & the line item/description from the Coop is "6780 lbs 20% range nuggets". They've gone up! Last year I believe we locked in at 1.80 & this year locked in at 2.20. Worth every penny, though - they'll follow you anywhere.

what amount of cubes are you buying for that price?

6780 lbs to fill up the Versa Tote.

I should clarify: 2.20 for whatever amount/pounds purchased this year. We also have a smaller Tote & sometimes they don't fill them to the brim.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:23 am

TCRanch wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
pdfangus wrote:
what amount of cubes are you buying for that price?

6780 lbs to fill up the Versa Tote.

I should clarify: 2.20 for whatever amount/pounds purchased this year. We also have a smaller Tote & sometimes they don't fill them to the brim.

I'm missing something here....
$2.20 per lb X 50lbs=$110 for a 50lb sack of cubes??? :shock: :shock:
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:34 am

220.00 per ton I'm guessing
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:45 am

greybeard wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
TCRanch wrote:6780 lbs to fill up the Versa Tote.

I'm missing something here....
$2.20 per lb X 50lbs=$110 for a 50lb sack of cubes??? :shock: :shock:

My bad just reading the description, which says pounds but it's actually figured by the ton.
6780 lbs, price 220.000, amount 745.80. 6780 lbs is 3.39 tons. 3.39 x 220.00 = 745.80.
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:08 am

tons is not even an option around here

I have been looking at prices this morning since clicking on this thread

my avaialbe sources
all in fifty lb bags.
some have quantity price breaks
base prices per fifty lb bag
CFC Farmers Coop 12.54
purina web site price via local dealer 12.99
southern states makes one no price listed and my SS dealer would get them from Purina
tractor supply has two brands I think both made by Purina
one for 12.49 and the other for 13.49
Rural King has one for 9.99 but we don't have a Rural King within 100 miles yet.
not that many years ago these things were six bucks a bag...and I bought them by the ton at that price but we had sixty cows then.
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby A.J. » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:23 pm

TSC sells them here in 50 lb bags. I get em every once in a while and will keep some in my pockets to give as treats when i walk through checking the cows. Certain cows like them and the rest aren’t too interested. Whether it’s feed or cubes, it’s nice to have cattle broke to come to feed like that. Makes it a lot easier to get them where you want them. I’d rather lead them than have to drive them any day.
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:57 pm

Our only feed store just shut it's doors this year, they didn't even have cubes or anything

We press sunflower oil, and it takes the cows a little bit to learn what the pressings are, once they do they'll stop at nothing to get them
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Brute 23 wrote:There are different brands and different qualities of cubes. Find an actual feed store some where and they can help you.

Nearest "actual feed stores" are 140~170 miles away and they have never even heard of cubes... lol. And I don't want to haul feed that far. Local hardware store sells sweet feed and the cows come to it just as well.

You guys get spoiled in more populated farm areas. But UP here the nearest TSC is 65 miles away, nearest tractor dealer of any color is 120 miles, feed store 140 miles, sale barn 350 miles, etc.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:41 pm

I know a couple guys that buy cubes in bulk, and feed versus hay.

https://articles.extension.org/pages/23 ... ange-cubes
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:57 pm

chevytaHOE5674 wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:There are different brands and different qualities of cubes. Find an actual feed store some where and they can help you.

Nearest "actual feed stores" are 140~170 miles away and they have never even heard of cubes... lol. And I don't want to haul feed that far. Local hardware store sells sweet feed and the cows come to it just as well.

You guys get spoiled in more populated farm areas. But UP here the nearest TSC is 65 miles away, nearest tractor dealer of any color is 120 miles, feed store 140 miles, sale barn 350 miles, etc.

Is the area that remote or is there just not a lot of cattle around you?

We have 2 feed stores and one stop light in town. There are no less than two feed stores, in the next towns over, no matter what direction you head, also. :)
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:16 pm

I am on a dividing line
East of me there are pitiful few cows
Most laND is cash grain with some vegetable prodution
West of me is rolling land and as you go west the herds even get good sized
1 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:20 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
chevytaHOE5674 wrote:

Is the area that remote or is there just not a lot of cattle around you?

We have 2 feed stores and one stop light in town. There are no less than two feed stores, in the next towns over, no matter what direction you head, also. :)

We have three feed stores besides Walmart that is the only place to shop.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:57 pm

Not very many people around (around 2 people per square mile in this county), and way less cattle. Town has a gas station, hardware, and grocery store. Anything else is a minimum of a 65 mile one way trip. We have a very odd climate being on the largest body of fresh water in the world that is very cold so farming is a challenge so there isn't many left doing it.
1 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:41 pm

Wow, guess I hit the jackpot. The ones we buy are from one of the local Coop's that make them on site, buy in bulk or by the bag. The other Coop buys from Purina, sells primarily in bulk. Orscheln Farm & Home is within 20 miles. Atwoods & Tractor Supply are both within an hour. The county also has Flemming Feed & Grain and Western Feed Mills is in the next county but delivers in bulk.

ChevytaHOE5674, I've been to Upper MI so I understand your lack of resources. Or people.
0 x

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:11 pm

TCRanch wrote:I've always referred to them as cubes & yet we used to have a cake feeder on the back of the truck. But just bought some yesterday & the line item/description from the Coop is "6780 lbs 20% range nuggets". They've gone up! Last year I believe we locked in at 1.80 & this year locked in at 2.20. Worth every penny, though - they'll follow you anywhere.

I’d buy a boatload at that price and “supplement” with hay! :lol2: All jokes aside I would feed cubes daily and provide roughage with much cheaper hay than what I currently grow. Cubes are $400/ton here. That’s buying in bags. No bulk options that I’m aware of. Sweet deal you’ve got going TC.
2 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Return to “Beginners Board”