This is why I love cubes...

The place to start if you are new!
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: This is why I love cubes...

Post by Brute 23 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:45 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:These are 20% cubes. They make some cotton seed cubes also that are higher and not even a dollar more.

Who makes the cottonseed cubes Brute?

Lyssy & Eckel Feeds

https://lefeeds.com/cattle-feed/

Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Post by boondocks » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:59 am

greybeard wrote:
boondocks wrote:Ok, this IS the beginner's board, so I'm gonna come right out and admit that when y'all say "cubes" I used to think I knew what you meant but now I'm not sure whether there's a defined/commercial product as such???? Is it a catch-all phrase? (pic? link?)
We used to be able to get cube-like supplement (protein, molasses, mineral etc) in a big bag at Tractor Supply but now it looks more like rabbit feed in shape.

Depends I guess, on how big the rabbits get in your area.
This is close to actual size.
3/4" x 2 to 3" long.

His hand would wither away and fall off before she walks away from cubes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx7raN3oY_Q

That's what we used to get at TS but now all we can get is sweet feed (small pellets). They do like it but when I fed it by hand recently, one of them accidentally got her teeth on me (thru my glove, hurt but didn't quite break skin. She was as surprised as me). Wish we could find the bigger ones again. They waste half the pellets

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:24 am

Brute 23 wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:These are 20% cubes. They make some cotton seed cubes also that are higher and not even a dollar more.

Who makes the cottonseed cubes Brute?

Lyssy & Eckel Feeds

https://lefeeds.com/cattle-feed/

Thank you :tiphat:
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

snoopdog
GURU
GURU

Post by snoopdog » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:31 am

280 a ton here in bags, but I can pre book (pay for a ton), and go get whatever amount at a time, so I don't have to handle and store a pallet at a time, really handy for me. We have about 10 feed stores within 25 miles, I just can't wrap my head around not having one close.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:57 am

Never known to have any here by me in NY. Hubby worked as nutritionist for feed store & he really couldn't even order it in. Used to readily have it available when we lived in Kansas back in the 70's.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Post by pdfangus » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:03 am

When I worked at the farm in Ohio I got to unload a semi trailer load every year and stack them in the barn....then I got to feed several bags daily....thank god I was young and strong and stupid....
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:15 am

Just never see them in the PNW. There is various sacked feed available but not the cubes described here.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:58 am

Cubes are a great source of supplement if you have to feed your cows. But, on most farms, there isn't a bunch of grain feeders sitting around. These can be poured out on the ground and not one cube will be lost.
Kinda glad they are not available out here. Would be way too easy to supplement cows!

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Post by pdfangus » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:04 am

i use them more to teach animals to come to call....when I call em I feed the ones who come and pretty soon they are all coming...good way to introduce them to rotational grazing as well....once they learn to come to call they will come to you if you are near a fence and sneeze...
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:15 am

Yes, totally agree. I have been rotational grazing. I rarely "push/drive" cattle. I just call, and they will run you over if you are not fast enough.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:36 am

JMJ Farms wrote:
TCRanch wrote:I've always referred to them as cubes & yet we used to have a cake feeder on the back of the truck. But just bought some yesterday & the line item/description from the Coop is "6780 lbs 20% range nuggets". They've gone up! Last year I believe we locked in at 1.80 & this year locked in at 2.20. Worth every penny, though - they'll follow you anywhere.

I’d buy a boatload at that price and “supplement” with hay! :lol2: All jokes aside I would feed cubes daily and provide roughage with much cheaper hay than what I currently grow. Cubes are $400/ton here. That’s buying in bags. No bulk options that I’m aware of. Sweet deal you’ve got going TC.

FRM sells cubes in bulk, they were $325 ton a few years ago and you had to pick up at the mill. WCS is way cheaper and better, but a real pita.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:49 am

I wish I could get WCS. Love it in my show ration.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:05 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:
TCRanch wrote:I've always referred to them as cubes & yet we used to have a cake feeder on the back of the truck. But just bought some yesterday & the line item/description from the Coop is "6780 lbs 20% range nuggets". They've gone up! Last year I believe we locked in at 1.80 & this year locked in at 2.20. Worth every penny, though - they'll follow you anywhere.

I’d buy a boatload at that price and “supplement” with hay! :lol2: All jokes aside I would feed cubes daily and provide roughage with much cheaper hay than what I currently grow. Cubes are $400/ton here. That’s buying in bags. No bulk options that I’m aware of. Sweet deal you’ve got going TC.

FRM sells cubes in bulk, they were $325 ton a few years ago and you had to pick up at the mill. WCS is way cheaper and better, but a real pita.

Funny you said that. I actually checked on FRM bulk options today. Didn’t price them but I did verify that it is an option. I may change my winter feeding program somewhat next year. I am currently feeding WCS and hay along with 20/20. Working for the cows. And working me too. I like the WCS a lot. And will continue feeding it this year and in the future. But it is labor intensive. It’s not the work that bothers me. It’s the time. I need some concrete bunks and a better way to get the WCS into the bunk besides used mineral tubs and plastic lined bunk feeders. But until I can do better I will keep doing it this way I guess. The more I put a pencil to it, bulk cubes seem to be a pretty feasible addition to my feeding program. And they are guaranteed, flood or drought. I need to work out a storage solution as well.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:44 am

How do you feed the WCS? Just out of the bag into a feeder with nothing else? I loved the product MIXED with my corn, oats, pellets, etc for show feed. Never thought about feeding it direct as a supplement.
First time hubby brought it home, I said "my calves will never eat that fuzzy stuff". So, I fed it to them, but put it "on top" so they could still eat their ration. Nope, they gobbled up the WCS first!! loved it from the start.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:57 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:How do you feed the WCS? Just out of the bag into a feeder with nothing else? I loved the product MIXED with my corn, oats, pellets, etc for show feed. Never thought about feeding it direct as a supplement.
First time hubby brought it home, I said "my calves will never eat that fuzzy stuff". So, I fed it to them, but put it "on top" so they could still eat their ration. Nope, they gobbled up the WCS first!! loved it from the start.

I personally feed WCS like this. Probably not the best way. Definitely not the easiest. I pick it up from the gin(bulk) in a peanut wagon. Store it under barn in the wagon. Then I take repurposed protein tubs from years past when I used to feed them and fill them individually with a grain shovel. Each tub weighs approximately 80 pounds when full. Then I load them in the truck and pour them into the cheap 10’ bunk troughs available at any farm store. Works real good. But it’s a job and it ain’t real fast.