Need opinion please

The place to start if you are new!
Jrebyank
Beginner
Beginner

Need opinion please

Postby Jrebyank » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:17 am

I have been back into the cattle business for about three years now. I have 10 moma cows and a bull. About half the heifers I bought 3 years ago became good to average Moma’s that raise a average to above average calf. Here is the problem. The other half do not seem to winter well, have enough milk to raise a decent calf and some are not calving in a timely manner. It seems funny that I bought so many culls at 50%. Am I doing something wrong?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Need opinion please

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:25 am

If you bought them with no information on their background, for example, buying them at a salebarn or from someone you did not know, it is likely you got some poorer quality stock.

If you are a beginner, contact some local sources, like a veterinarian or county Agricultural Agent. They can direct you to good sellers. Tell them the breed you are interested in, that you are planning a cow/calf operation, and the kind of forage you have.
1 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:33 am

When you buy good stock with high expectations, it is a downer to see poor performance.

When your expectations are not that good and you get high performers, it is a plus.

Cull and then cull some more. That is the name of the game. Some cattle will thrive where others will not. You need animals that are suited for your operation.
4 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Jrebyank
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Jrebyank » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:36 am

Thank you for the replies
0 x

MillennialRancher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby MillennialRancher » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:59 am

An old guy told me this a while back and it makes a whole lotta sense. “YOU have to be the predator in your herd”. Pick off the weak links for the greater good.
4 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:59 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:When you buy good stock with high expectations, it is a downer to see poor performance.

When your expectations are not that good and you get high performers, it is a plus.

Cull and then cull some more. That is the name of the game. Some cattle will thrive where others will not. You need animals that are suited for your operation.

Yep he needs a better cow. Ruthless culling.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Return to “Beginners Board”