Cull Cow Profits?

The place to start if you are new!
User avatar
bird dog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1476
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:33 pm
Location: Navarro County, Texas
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: Cull Cow Profits?

Post by bird dog » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:41 am

All I can say is start out with just a few to get some experience. Its not as easy as you would think. If I had some extra hay, I always like to buy them medium bred on the coldest day in late winter. Shop in January when people realize they don't have enough hay. About half the time they will calve way earlier than their number dictates.
If it works right, they will have a month old calf about the time the grass greens up. Sell before the fall rush.

If you can plan it right and mother nature cooperates, you can then let your forage recover and grow up some to have some dry grass for the next batch. It also buys you some time to let your oats get up.



User avatar
1982vett
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8689
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Central Texas
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: Cull Cow Profits?

Post by 1982vett » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:33 pm

BC wrote:We were short on grass and hay in East Texas and people were selling down their herds. I bought this cow at a sale barn as a bred cow for$300 back in September for a customer. He sent this picture Saturday. That calf will pay for her.

Image

To be just a little tacky....maybe......so the calf pays for the cow. Looking at that pasture, what’s going to pay the feed bill?
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

BC
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2401
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:55 am
Location: Van Zandt County, TX
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Cull Cow Profits?

Post by BC » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:07 pm

1982vett wrote:
BC wrote:We were short on grass and hay in East Texas and people were selling down their herds. I bought this cow at a sale barn as a bred cow for$300 back in September for a customer. He sent this picture Saturday. That calf will pay for her.

Image

To be just a little tacky....maybe......so the calf pays for the cow. Looking at that pasture, what’s going to pay the feed bill?

I am just the order buyer. I asked about the pasture and the man said just trying to keep them alive until his ryegrass quicks in. That typically is about mid February.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23808
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 140 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: Cull Cow Profits?

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:19 pm

BC wrote:
1982vett wrote:
BC wrote:We were short on grass and hay in East Texas and people were selling down their herds. I bought this cow at a sale barn as a bred cow for$300 back in September for a customer. He sent this picture Saturday. That calf will pay for her.

Image

To be just a little tacky....maybe......so the calf pays for the cow. Looking at that pasture, what’s going to pay the feed bill?

I am just the order buyer. I asked about the pasture and the man said just trying to keep them alive until his ryegrass quicks in. That typically is about mid February.



Calf might not pay for her seen cows like her bringing.12 a lb last sale.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8688
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 48 times

Re: Cull Cow Profits?

Post by Stocker Steve » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Common bred cows have gone up $50 TO $100 per head since a month ago, but you also have $45 of hay into them during this period...
Stocker Steve

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 23808
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 140 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: Cull Cow Profits?

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:33 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Common bred cows have gone up $50 TO $100 per head since a month ago, but you also have $45 of hay into them during this period...



At .12 cents a lb that cow in the picture won’t bring a 100 bucks.
Seen go as low as .08 per lbs.
A butter ball fat cutter will bring about .45 lbs right now. That’s not for LH cross or back forty stuff we are talking a beef bovine.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

BC
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2401
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:55 am
Location: Van Zandt County, TX
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Cull Cow Profits?

Post by BC » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:21 pm

That cow was a 5 or 6 year old and 6 month old when bought in September. She will raise that calf. I don't know if the man will keep her or breed and resell. I just buy what the customer wants. In this case, SS and younger plus bred for under $450.

Post Reply