what to do with a 47 month old heifer

The place to start if you are new!
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: what to do with a 47 month old heifer

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:13 pm

farmerjan wrote:Nesi; we have a Red Poll bull that by rights, should go. There is no market for the calves here. NONE. We will take a hit or $.25 to $.50 per lb on the calves because they are red. But, He is very gentle, easy with the cows breeding and we use him on a few most years to keep him active. His saving grace..... he stops ANY AND ALL fights in the bull lot. No joke. If someone decides to be stupid when we put them back in, he just walks up to them, and must give them the evil eye.... because the ones getting into a shoving match will just quit. He will just walk around and no one seems willing to try his mettle. Have never seen him in a shoving match with anyone either. He just is like the policeman in there. They don't get to tearing up fences or anything because he seems to put a spell on them and they just behave. So he is still here....plus with prices so off, no sense in giving him away when he saves us fence repair bills....

I can see the idea of keeping an animal around if it has a purpose; like the steers you mentioned that will lead cattle etc. But, an unproductive 4 yr old heifer.... Naaah.

I had an old cow like that.. She was boss, didn't do much fighting, she was boss because she was old.. and the youngsters knew better than to be stupid around her.. I've also had bulls that didn't like the cows fighting. Never had enough bulls to see what would happen with many of them together.
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:29 pm

east_tex wrote:Thanks again for you all's comments. The heifer will be going to the sale barn whenever the first sale of 2019 is.

Thursday Nacogdoches, Saturday Livingston, Tuesday Crockett.
The stupid tax hurts the worst to pay.
We have all paid it at some time the trick is don’t get taxed twice on the same issue.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

GMN
GURU
GURU

Postby GMN » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:26 pm

Did u take her to a vet to have her checked? That should have been done years ago
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
east_tex wrote:Thanks again for you all's comments. The heifer will be going to the sale barn whenever the first sale of 2019 is.

Thursday Nacogdoches, Saturday Livingston, Tuesday Crockett.
The stupid tax hurts the worst to pay.
We have all paid it at some time the trick is don’t get taxed twice on the same issue.

Monday - Henderson or Sulphur Springs
Tuesday - Carthage, Mt Pleasant, Emory or Crockett
Wednesday - Center, Elkhart or Paris
Thursday - Nacogdoches or Longview
Friday - Winnsboro
Saturday - Wills Point, Emory, New Summerfield, Paris, Texarkana or Kirbyville

You have lots of options.
0 x

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 pm

She's no longer a heifer. She's going to be an old maid.
3 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Return to “Beginners Board”