Cattle goals for the new yr and future

The place to start if you are new!
Post Reply
5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by 5S Cattle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:34 pm

I need more country.



Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by Bfields30 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:17 pm

5S Cattle wrote:I need more country.

How many acres you have now ?

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 357 times
Been thanked: 378 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:26 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I will give you a few ideas of how I started. In 1978 I bought 3 cows and put them with my father in laws herd. Finally got some free pasture. As I got a few dollars ahead I would buy another cow. Added leased land and cattle and added to the hours I worked. 100 hours a week was common. Several years later i had 200 cows, the tractors, hay equipment, and all the associated needs. Still worked 100 hours on my job or on the farm. Never went on vacation, never done anything if it didnt involve cattle. In 2001 and 2002 bought a Dodge 3500 and Wilson trailer. Paid for it in a little over a year hauling cattle for people. In 2014 my health failed and 4 surgeries and a heart attack later I'm down to 35 cows. I'm 61 and every part of me is wore out. Still working about 60 hours a week. 35 years on the job.
My point is that you should do what you feel like doing and can financially handle but you don't always think you must be the biggest. Enjoy it along the way. I wish you well,


Almost the same story here Kenny, except I never got the bug to be a cow hauler ( my kid bought a good used liner this past fall and paid for it in three months) and I haven't had a heart attack yet, am deaf, need glasses, back and hands in tough shape as are my wife's.
We leased and traded cows for 12 years, bought her family ranch in 1991, built up cows and machinery when we could. Very little of it new. Near new is a much better buy. Added two neighboring ranches in the last 10 years.
Wintering 900 head here this year on our own hay and still haven't found the grass limits of this place. Will be 58 next May.

Thanking the Lord for the opportunities he has given us and the young folks we have employed the last few years when things got to be more than we could stay ahead of.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:55 am
Location: Brenham, Tx
Has thanked: 84 times
Been thanked: 97 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by 5S Cattle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:39 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
5S Cattle wrote:I need more country.

How many acres you have now ?

Little over 200

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24499
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 714 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:10 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I will give you a few ideas of how I started. In 1978 I bought 3 cows and put them with my father in laws herd. Finally got some free pasture. As I got a few dollars ahead I would buy another cow. Added leased land and cattle and added to the hours I worked. 100 hours a week was common. Several years later i had 200 cows, the tractors, hay equipment, and all the associated needs. Still worked 100 hours on my job or on the farm. Never went on vacation, never done anything if it didnt involve cattle. In 2001 and 2002 bought a Dodge 3500 and Wilson trailer. Paid for it in a little over a year hauling cattle for people. In 2014 my health failed and 4 surgeries and a heart attack later I'm down to 35 cows. I'm 61 and every part of me is wore out. Still working about 60 hours a week. 35 years on the job.
My point is that you should do what you feel like doing and can financially handle but you don't always think you must be the biggest. Enjoy it along the way. I wish you well,


It’s a disease bought my first in 1970. The state of Texas chose for me to sellout in 1973 with a B branded on their jaw. Got a nickel to a dime a lb for cows I paid 300 to 325 for.
Apparently I needed extensive Psychiatric help cause I bought back in.
I am an addict to crossbred Brimmer cows. Never ran more than 37 it was all I could handle working.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8958
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 255 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:14 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I will give you a few ideas of how I started. In 1978 I bought 3 cows and put them with my father in laws herd. Finally got some free pasture. As I got a few dollars ahead I would buy another cow. Added leased land and cattle and added to the hours I worked. 100 hours a week was common. Several years later i had 200 cows, the tractors, hay equipment, and all the associated needs. Still worked 100 hours on my job or on the farm. Never went on vacation, never done anything if it didnt involve cattle. In 2001 and 2002 bought a Dodge 3500 and Wilson trailer. Paid for it in a little over a year hauling cattle for people. In 2014 my health failed and 4 surgeries and a heart attack later I'm down to 35 cows. I'm 61 and every part of me is wore out. Still working about 60 hours a week. 35 years on the job.
My point is that you should do what you feel like doing and can financially handle but you don't always think you must be the biggest. Enjoy it along the way. I wish you well,


It’s a disease bought my first in 1970. The state of Texas chose for me to sellout in 1973 with a B branded on their jaw. Got a nickel to a dime a lb for cows I paid 300 to 325 for.
Apparently I needed extensive Psychiatric help cause I bought back in.
I am an addict to crossbred Brimmer cows. Never ran more than 37 it was all I could handle working.

We almost went broke in 79 when they tried that on us too. Got almost nothing for them. Had to sell even 200lb steers that no way could test positive ever.
In 82 we got a false positive and spent a summer getting them up and retesting.
I wouldnt go through all that again.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

User avatar
Chocolate Cow2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:53 pm
Location: Kansas
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by Chocolate Cow2 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:06 pm

I'm 65. Grew up on a Kansas wheat farm. We had cattle and sold tons of small squares of alfalfa loaded onto trucks headed to Texas. Kenneth Sandlin from Greenville, Tx and Richard Florida from Farmersville, Tx hauled most of it. My Great Grandparents and Grandparents farmed the same land I grew up on.
I'm old school because I was taught it's bad manners to ask someone how many cattle they have and how many acres they own/rent. times have changed

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by Bfields30 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:45 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I will give you a few ideas of how I started. In 1978 I bought 3 cows and put them with my father in laws herd. Finally got some free pasture. As I got a few dollars ahead I would buy another cow. Added leased land and cattle and added to the hours I worked. 100 hours a week was common. Several years later i had 200 cows, the tractors, hay equipment, and all the associated needs. Still worked 100 hours on my job or on the farm. Never went on vacation, never done anything if it didnt involve cattle. In 2001 and 2002 bought a Dodge 3500 and Wilson trailer. Paid for it in a little over a year hauling cattle for people. In 2014 my health failed and 4 surgeries and a heart attack later I'm down to 35 cows. I'm 61 and every part of me is wore out. Still working about 60 hours a week. 35 years on the job.
My point is that you should do what you feel like doing and can financially handle but you don't always think you must be the biggest. Enjoy it along the way. I wish you well,


It’s a disease bought my first in 1970. The state of Texas chose for me to sellout in 1973 with a B branded on their jaw. Got a nickel to a dime a lb for cows I paid 300 to 325 for.
Apparently I needed extensive Psychiatric help cause I bought back in.
I am an addict to crossbred Brimmer cows. Never ran more than 37 it was all I could handle working.
Cb what part of Texas are you in ?

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24499
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 714 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:18 am

Tyler County now.
I was running cattle on salt grass in Galveston county during the B incident.
Man it would be a long haul to a salebarn from there now.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2433
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:47 am
Location: KY
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by ddd75 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:33 am

Chocolate Cow2 wrote:I'm 65. Grew up on a Kansas wheat farm. We had cattle and sold tons of small squares of alfalfa loaded onto trucks headed to Texas. Kenneth Sandlin from Greenville, Tx and Richard Florida from Farmersville, Tx hauled most of it. My Great Grandparents and Grandparents farmed the same land I grew up on.
I'm old school because I was taught it's bad manners to ask someone how many cattle they have and how many acres they own/rent. times have changed



its still bad manners.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 19749
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA
Has thanked: 132 times
Been thanked: 74 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by skyhightree1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:17 am

Just say no
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16642
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 601 times
Been thanked: 560 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by ALACOWMAN » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:42 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I will give you a few ideas of how I started. In 1978 I bought 3 cows and put them with my father in laws herd. Finally got some free pasture. As I got a few dollars ahead I would buy another cow. Added leased land and cattle and added to the hours I worked. 100 hours a week was common. Several years later i had 200 cows, the tractors, hay equipment, and all the associated needs. Still worked 100 hours on my job or on the farm. Never went on vacation, never done anything if it didnt involve cattle. In 2001 and 2002 bought a Dodge 3500 and Wilson trailer. Paid for it in a little over a year hauling cattle for people. In 2014 my health failed and 4 surgeries and a heart attack later I'm down to 35 cows. I'm 61 and every part of me is wore out. Still working about 60 hours a week. 35 years on the job.
My point is that you should do what you feel like doing and can financially handle but you don't always think you must be the biggest. Enjoy it along the way. I wish you well,


Almost the same story here Kenny, except I never got the bug to be a cow hauler ( my kid bought a good used liner this past fall and paid for it in three months) and I haven't had a heart attack yet, am deaf, need glasses, back and hands in tough shape as are my wife's.
We leased and traded cows for 12 years, bought her family ranch in 1991, built up cows and machinery when we could. Very little of it new. Near new is a much better buy. Added two neighboring ranches in the last 10 years.
Wintering 900 head here this year on our own hay and still haven't found the grass limits of this place. Will be 58 next May.

Thanking the Lord for the opportunities he has given us and the young folks we have employed the last few years when things got to be more than we could stay ahead of.
cant imagine caring for that many head..but here you'd run the tires off a truck seeing after em..not a farm that large,to support em..same way with row crops..places scattered here and there..and not always in the same county..
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 991
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 357 times
Been thanked: 378 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by gcreekrch » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:32 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
gcreekrch wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:I will give you a few ideas of how I started. In 1978 I bought 3 cows and put them with my father in laws herd. Finally got some free pasture. As I got a few dollars ahead I would buy another cow. Added leased land and cattle and added to the hours I worked. 100 hours a week was common. Several years later i had 200 cows, the tractors, hay equipment, and all the associated needs. Still worked 100 hours on my job or on the farm. Never went on vacation, never done anything if it didnt involve cattle. In 2001 and 2002 bought a Dodge 3500 and Wilson trailer. Paid for it in a little over a year hauling cattle for people. In 2014 my health failed and 4 surgeries and a heart attack later I'm down to 35 cows. I'm 61 and every part of me is wore out. Still working about 60 hours a week. 35 years on the job.
My point is that you should do what you feel like doing and can financially handle but you don't always think you must be the biggest. Enjoy it along the way. I wish you well,


Almost the same story here Kenny, except I never got the bug to be a cow hauler ( my kid bought a good used liner this past fall and paid for it in three months) and I haven't had a heart attack yet, am deaf, need glasses, back and hands in tough shape as are my wife's.
We leased and traded cows for 12 years, bought her family ranch in 1991, built up cows and machinery when we could. Very little of it new. Near new is a much better buy. Added two neighboring ranches in the last 10 years.
Wintering 900 head here this year on our own hay and still haven't found the grass limits of this place. Will be 58 next May.

Thanking the Lord for the opportunities he has given us and the young folks we have employed the last few years when things got to be more than we could stay ahead of.
cant imagine caring for that many head..but here you'd run the tires off a truck seeing after em..not a farm that large,to support em..same way with row crops..places scattered here and there..and not always in the same county..


While our three deeded properties are 6 to 10 miles apart, there are no others in between, only our range land we rent from the govt. for summer grass. My wife and I left the house at 8:30 am and were back at 2 pm. A little snow plowing and a load of hay on my gooseneck in the mix. Chores done.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 474
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:27 pm
Location: Winnsboro tx
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by Bfields30 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks guys for all the feed back I really appreciate it I’ve had a lot of help so far haven’t had to buy any equipment yet my neighbor both put hay out for me I’m slowly but surely just getting stuff I need for the time being. And I know sometime this yr I’ll buy a small 40-50 hp tractor that’s in the budget main focus is getting a good bull in the next two months.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24499
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 714 times

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:08 am

Bfields30 wrote:Thanks guys for all the feed back I really appreciate it I’ve had a lot of help so far haven’t had to buy any equipment yet my neighbor both put hay out for me I’m slowly but surely just getting stuff I need for the time being. And I know sometime this yr I’ll buy a small 40-50 hp tractor that’s in the budget main focus is getting a good bull in the next two months.



My suggestion is not to buy a tractor under 60 hp. It is big enough to move bigger bales.
Nothing worse than not having a tractor big enough. Don’t just look at hp look at wheel base as well.
The most dangerous tractor I ever owned was a short wheel base fwd 50 hp. I stood that tractor on the FEL several times moving hay before trading it in.

http://beeffax.tamu.edu/files/2013/09/2 ... E-319-.pdf


Huge difference in moving an 800 lb bale versus 1200 lb.
Never know what Ma nature is going to deal you. You could sell any size around here this year.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Post Reply