Cattle Prod

The place to start if you are new!
kilroy60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Cattle Prod

Post by kilroy60 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:22 am

Hook2.0 wrote:Haven’t had to use one in 5 years. Sorting stick or a bamboo stick work well, and if one doesn’t want to move up twisting the tail usually works.

Agree with the sorting stick and tail twist. Don't own a hot stick and don't plan to. Old timer told me years ago when getting into the cow business to treat the animals how you would be treated and they'll never need a hot stick. I've seen too many over the years make good cows go bad by using a hot stick.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:15 pm

kilroy60 wrote:
Hook2.0 wrote:Haven’t had to use one in 5 years. Sorting stick or a bamboo stick work well, and if one doesn’t want to move up twisting the tail usually works.

Agree with the sorting stick and tail twist. Don't own a hot stick and don't plan to. Old timer told me years ago when getting into the cow business to treat the animals how you would be treated and they'll never need a hot stick. I've seen too many over the years make good cows go bad by using a hot stick.

Never seen that play out here. We use a hotshot as needed every time we work cows. Most seem to understand when I pat their but with the hotshot and tell them "let's go" that it's time to move.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm

Only time I ever need a hotshot is unloading at the butcher. Have had a few times where the steers would absolutely NOT come off the trailer for love nor money. Canes, rattle paddle, even getting up in there and cranking tails. Had to hit 1 or 2 with the fire stick. Never had a dark cutter, but always deliver to facility the day before killing.
99% of the time, my hotshot has dead batteries in it.
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:14 am

bball wrote:Only time I ever need a hotshot is unloading at the butcher. Have had a few times where the steers would absolutely NOT come off the trailer for love nor money. Canes, rattle paddle, even getting up in there and cranking tails. Had to hit 1 or 2 with the fire stick. Never had a dark cutter, but always deliver to facility the day before killing.
99% of the time, my hotshot has dead batteries in it.

True! They smell it, they just know their time is up. Even super docile cows turn bat shyt crazy when we've taken them in for processing. Can't say I blame them.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:09 pm

Used the same green hot shot for 4 years fighting pigs, and it's still kickin. That's ruffer work than it would ever see with cattle.
Once the animal learns what that little clicking noise means, they will move without even having to zap them with it.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:45 pm

True! They smell it, they just know their time is up. Even super docile cows turn bat shyt crazy when we've taken them in for processing. Can't say I blame them.

Yep. Our cattle have a long well deserved reputation for being exceptionally docile...years ago took a cow in to be butchered...she hopped off the trailer and immediately ran the scale guy up the fence. He was even more surprised than us. His comment "your cattle don't act like that!" our reply "obviously she doesn't like you nor this outfit!"
A hot shot is a tool and good stockmanship demands it be used sparingly & judiciously. Nuff said.