WILD STEER? HOW TO TAME HIM?

The place to start if you are new!
HEREFORD ROADHOG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: WILD STEER? HOW TO TAME HIM?

Postby HEREFORD ROADHOG » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:24 pm

msscamp wrote:
iowafarmer wrote:Another way is to have one person with the leadrope pullinbg and another person behind hitting them with a paddle or shocker if they pull back and resist. Hope it works out ofr you.

I have to disagree with this part - the last place in the world I would want to be is in front of a yearling steer while someone smacks him or shocks him from behind. A little common sense, please.

i agree ! that is probably th WORST advice i have seen given on this whole cattle forum ! i guess those jerseys must be alot wilder than i ever dreamed. give me a break iowafarmer. maybe you should stick with hogs, or better yet no livestock at all. :mad:
0 x
Your dollars will go farther when they are accompanied with some sense.

HEREFORD ROADHOG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby HEREFORD ROADHOG » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:26 pm

poultryrancher wrote:WEEK ONE UPDATE: Thank you so much for all the encouragement and advice guys! T-Bone (the steer) is much calmer now. Yesterday my 4-H steer project leader came to check him and said he's pretty docile for a pasture raised steer. He even got in the pen with him, crouched down, and pulled him over to him. It was amazing! T-Bone let him pet him on the forehead and scratch him behind the ears. Something to do with when you're lower than their eye level they don't see you as a threat. Then I got to get in the pen with him and pet him and scratch his ears. I was amazed! We added some more horse pannels to the pen today to make it bigger, and he kinda got upset about that, but overall he's calming down and I will keep you posted!

good job. another tip, use a show stick & scatch him in the middle of his back. catttle love it. & ignore iowa farmers advice.
0 x
Your dollars will go farther when they are accompanied with some sense.

iowafarmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby iowafarmer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:41 pm

ok first of all i would not use that on a yearling steer either but it is a way i have seen used on 200 pound 4H claves. I jsut but it in there because it was another way i know to halter break a calf. Next time please let me respond and explain myself before you critize someone. Thank you. The reason i dodnt respond ealrier Herford Roadhog is becasue i have animals and run a farm maybe you should stick to the computer and the road. And i dont raise hogs and not every one in iowa raises hogs so please dont generalize. Im in the middle of calving season, calving 400 cows so im not going to be able to respond every nioght and sit on here 24 7.
1 x
If its not broke, don't fix it.

iowafarmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby iowafarmer » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:03 pm

I realize that some people might take it the worng way when i say hit him with a paddle. I do not mean hit him and wind up like you would to hit a baseball. I said nothing about shocking him msscamp. When i said hit him with a paddle i meant tap him on the back or swat at him so that he relaizes that someone is behind him and keeps moving.
0 x

CattleHand
Rancher
Rancher

Postby CattleHand » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:07 pm

wrong thread :tiphat:
Last edited by CattleHand on Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:40 pm

iowafarmer wrote:I said nothing about shocking him msscamp.

I beg to disagree:

iowafarmer wrote:Another way is to have one person with the leadrope pullinbg and another person behind hitting them with a paddle or shocker if they pull back and resist. Hope it works out ofr you.

It's right there in black and white.
1 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

iowafarmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby iowafarmer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:19 pm

My bad i did not mean to put that in there i had several other things on my mind when i typed it and i apologize. My mistake in saying use a shocker.
1 x

Cattlejock
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Cattlejock » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 pm

I have a Main Anjou steer and he has an attitude. I don't know where to start with taming him. Today was the 2nd time tieing him up. He blows snot at me and then he licks me. And when I touch him he always jumps and kicks. Everytime someone touches him he jumps and kicks at ya. I'm just wondering if y'all can give me some ideas cause I don't want to put him in the feed lot.
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:11 pm

Cattlejock wrote:I have a Main Anjou steer and he has an attitude. I don't know where to start with taming him. Today was the 2nd time tieing him up. He blows snot at me and then he licks me. And when I touch him he always jumps and kicks. Everytime someone touches him he jumps and kicks at ya. I'm just wondering if y'all can give me some ideas cause I don't want to put him in the feed lot.

For him up and brush him with a broom until he stops jumping around. Then work your way closer. Takes work and some of them are just stupid, just like people
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:31 pm

Be wary of a calf with mood swings like you describe. You may get through a while working with him and think you are making good headway, only to have him snap. These are the calves that hurt people. As mentioned, spend plenty of time desensatizing with a broom, a hose, grocery bag on the end of a show stick, etc. with the calf securly tied and you out of reach. Take your time, be consistant, and don't rush to the next step if only minor improvement is made.
1 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

VCC
Rancher
Rancher

Postby VCC » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 am

It does not sound like you have had him for very long, when we first start tying them we do just that, tie him low (chest level) leave just enough slack so his head will rest in a natural position if he is standing and if was to go down he wont hang him self.
We will tie them for about 1/2 hour to an hour and just do chores around them, muck out the pen, get their feed ready, fill their water up. Just let them see you and know your not going to hurt them. Once they stop fighting the rope, flopping around or just acting stupid, we will start scratching with a rake, the plastic forked ones work real well.
Once they settle down for that we ease them into the brush, it takes time. After we get to where we can handle them with the brush we start rinsing daily, they don't like it at first but it sure helps calm them down, the day to day working with them and handling them is key. You are fighting their fight or flight instinct, once they get past that it becomes easier. A steer project is a long one, little steps each day, as long as your making progress you are winning the war.

I did forget to we keep them in a small pen at first, so they are around people and activity, they know who feeds them and it does not take long for them to associate you with good things. We started with range calves right off the cow, we selected calves that did not try and stand their ground but they were never handled prior to us sorting through them. They all tamed down.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”