Need advice on electric fence

The place to start if you are new!
pdubdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Need advice on electric fence

Postby pdubdo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:00 am

Just trained my first 4 heifers to electric fence. Watched a couple youtube videos and put a hot wire across a corner of my pens with a pile of range cubes. Took longer than expected for all the cows to hit the wire (like almost 2 hours). After I let them into the pasture, I followed them in my utv along (just outside) the fence, making sure that as they tested it, they didn't just run through it. Within 20 minutes they were all settled down and three weeks later they are still holding with 1 strand of polywire and step-in portable electric fencing. Good luck!
1 x

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 am

Relate fencers to car accidents - KV would be the speed the vehicle is travelling, Joules is the size of the vehicle.

1 jules = getting hit by a bicycle doing 30mph
10 jules = getting hit by an 18 wheeler at the same 30mph.

They're both doing 30 (Kv of the fence) but one hits with a lot more oomph. I don't care how many miles they say the vehicle can go, that depends on too many variables to mean anything.
5 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:55 pm

Dexta - great explanation. Even I understood that!! I always knew the joules were the important factor, but loved the visual!
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SDM » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:28 am

I ended up with the parmak (southern states) as it was available and pretty much what we had when I was growing up, familiar. The book says 6 something output joules and the cheap tester I bought says 7000v at the furthest point from the charger. So far so good. Every one has stayed home up to this point.
2 x

tjmdo
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby tjmdo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:57 pm

How much line can a solar energizer charge? I had 2 TSC 10 mike chargers on my place with a 2 line system. 1 hot 1 ground. Total hot wire approximately 5miles. Would not keep them in. We changed to a powerflex charger with .5 joule output and ran the hole place. Cows got out. Now we were told by powerflex that the generator is only good for about a half mile of hot wire. So we have them in a 6 acre paddock. We really don’t want to buy 5 more chargers. Any advice?
0 x

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Postby greatgerts » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:29 am

tjmdo wrote:How much line can a solar energizer charge? I had 2 TSC 10 mike chargers on my place with a 2 line system. 1 hot 1 ground. Total hot wire approximately 5miles. Would not keep them in. We changed to a powerflex charger with .5 joule output and ran the hole place. Cows got out. Now we were told by powerflex that the generator is only good for about a half mile of hot wire. So we have them in a 6 acre paddock. We really don’t want to buy 5 more chargers. Any advice?

How are your ground rods? How many, and how deep?
0 x

sstterry
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby sstterry » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:52 am

The Parmak Magnum Solar-Pak 12 puts out about 3 joules according to them.
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Do not go by MILES - go by Joules.
.5 joules is nothing.
But, ground rods are the most important. Do you have a tester? Your fence may just be totally shorting out somewhere.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:44 am

My pastures have 4 strands of poly rope, three of them hot. I use a Zareba and it puts out 10-11 joules. It's hard to watch the newborns get hit a few times before they figure it out, but they learn quick and they are easy to get back in the pasture if they go through the first couple times.
0 x

dcara
Rancher
Rancher

Postby dcara » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:32 pm

The electric wire that works best for me is 15ga 2 point barbwire. Cattle hair is an insulator unless its wet and will require a stronger charger to push thru it. 2 point reaches thru the hair to the skin. I use a few miles of it to keep them off hay pastures from Feb till hay is put up.
0 x
Mooovin on
Doug

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 am

just another shameless plug for a company I have no affiliation with. I have been hauling around one of my Taylor boxes for a few weeks and never could seem to get by fullers to get it checked. Stopped a few min ago and when he opened it up it was nothing but black suet everywhere . He said lets see if the surge protector did its job . replaced that component and plugged her in and she is popping like she is supposed too. 32 buck and out the door in less than 15 min.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Return to “Beginners Board”