Growing corn for feed

The place to start if you are new!
rnh2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Growing corn for feed

Postby rnh2 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:50 pm

As far as direct grazing why not use milo since it’s more drought resistant? Or a mixture with beans? As far as war corn storage I read where a guy took a wire cattle panel and tied ends together to make a circle. He said it worked great. He didn’t say how many bushels it held. When he was ready to feed it he ran cobs and all through a small gas powered leaf shredder. He said he got good results. What y’all think?
0 x
If you're too dumb to be anything else you can be a expert

Logar
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Growing corn for feed

Postby Logar » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:38 pm

thendrix wrote:We have a small cow\calf operation and I'm looking for alternatives to buying feed. We have a 2 acre patch that is not connected to our main property and has no running water. I thought rather then mowing it, why not plant corn and use it for feed? There is full sunlight on about an acre and I think I'm going to try it. There is a local mill here that will grind it for me once it is harvested. Any thoughts\suggestions on practices, variety, etc.? We grow a small garden every year and I know how to plant on a small scale but I have never tried it on a scale this large and wondered if there are diffrences.

In the end I suspect that corn will be the most expensive feed you will have on the place - unless you have all the equipment to work the ground, plant the crop, fertilize the crop and harvest it.

You might be smarter to:

a. Sell it off as a lot if it is not connected to the farm and use the cash to develop the main place (if you can)

b. Put it in to grass and use it for hay - you should be able to get 10 to 20 big rounds off of it if you manage the ground.

c. Or plant one big mother garden and sell off the produce if that is available as a potential market.

I have a couple of those lots and we simply farm them for hay.

Choice is yours, but corn can be expensive to grow.

Best of luck no matter what you do.

Merry Christmas.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”