Banned Users

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Banned Users

Postby TexasBred » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:25 pm

RayfromTX wrote:I am a moderator on a forum that has 250,000 members and over 7,000,000 posts. visitors outnumber members 10-1. The owner of the forum has a great philosophy that I'd like to share here as well as some experiences that we have learned form.

First off he thinks the most important thing is that the forum be friendly.

We don't moderate for content or truth. The members are trusted to be able to ferret that out and their collective brain always proves up to the task.

We moderate for tone. We don't tolerate insults and name calling and there are certain newbie forums called the green zones that have special rules to make sure people aren't afraid to ask what they may be afraid is a stupid question. Those forums are more tightly moderated where the more expert forums are mostly moderated after a report is made and discussed in the back room among the mods. There is another forum on the board called the pub where pretty much anything but racism and bigotry is tolerated. Politics and religion are debated as well as other hot button topics.

The worldwide diversity of knowledge is a valuable asset and we recognize that it is easy to lose it if we allow racism or xenophobia to flourish so we moderate closely for that in all forums. We also recognize that cultures in say Britain or the UAE are going to say things differently and what may offend us is just normal to a Brit that hears things differently. In some of those cases a private message inviting a self edit is often the best route. We don't edit other peoples posts.

We have discussions in the back room and lots of history before anyone gets banned. Temporary bans have been tried many times but those members never reformed and always ended up banned permanently because they were the same people. Mostly they are people that need to tear down others to have fun and feel smart. They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole. One in particular has returned and been banned with different member names perhaps 8 times.

Sometimes we have problem members and have lots of good information. Some members will proclaim that they shouldn't have been banned because they have so much valuable knowledge that is lost when they are no longer there. This is my opinion about that. There are many people that have knowledge and experience and are mild mannered and considerate and were raised right by their mamas and daddys. Many of those people refuse to get involved in forums because of the few members that cause rancor and discord. When a forum is board is kept cleaned up of trolls and bullies, the more mature and valuable members tend to come out to play. They invest their time in helping others because they are good people. By valuing them enough to ban the troublemakers and moderate out the insults and name calling, the discussions become more focused on interesting information and the power of the group starts to develop.

What has become apparent is that the problems usually start with posts that are in a gray area in terms of TOS violations. They are left and then others begin to try to one up the offender. By the time it becomes blatant and demands moderation, there is usually a few pages of bad posts mixed in with the good stuff and it takes a bit of work to clean it up. If we act too soon it becomes less obvious that moderation was needed. It's a balancing act but erring on the side keeping it friendly has created an environment where the board has grown into the largest of it's type by far and other boards based on the same topic are smaller and much more hostile.

I hope this helps and thanks for all the useful info that has been posted here. It has made getting started in the cattle business much faster, easier and less costly.

At least give us a link to that forum. Might be enjoyable place to visit.
3 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:27 pm

TexasBred wrote:
RayfromTX wrote:I am a moderator on a forum that has 250,000 members and over 7,000,000 posts. visitors outnumber members 10-1. The owner of the forum has a great philosophy that I'd like to share here as well as some experiences that we have learned form.

We don't moderate for content or truth. The members are trusted to be able to ferret that out and their collective brain always proves up to the task.

We moderate for tone. We don't tolerate insults and name calling and there are certain newbie forums called the green zones that have special rules to make sure people aren't afraid to ask what they may be afraid is a stupid question. Those forums are more tightly moderated where the more expert forums are mostly moderated after a report is made and discussed in the back room among the mods. There is another forum on the board called the pub where pretty much anything but racism and bigotry is tolerated. Politics and religion are debated as well as other hot button topics.

The worldwide diversity of knowledge is a valuable asset and we recognize that it is easy to lose it if we allow racism or xenophobia to flourish so we moderate closely for that in all forums. We also recognize that cultures in say Britain or the UAE are going to say things differently and what may offend us is just normal to a Brit that hears things differently. In some of those cases a private message inviting a self edit is often the best route. We don't edit other peoples posts.

We have discussions in the back room and lots of history before anyone gets banned. Temporary bans have been tried many times but those members never reformed and always ended up banned permanently because they were the same people. Mostly they are people that need to tear down others to have fun and feel smart. They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole. One in particular has returned and been banned with different member names perhaps 8 times.

Sometimes we have problem members and have lots of good information. Some members will proclaim that they shouldn't have been banned because they have so much valuable knowledge that is lost when they are no longer there. This is my opinion about that. There are many people that have knowledge and experience and are mild mannered and considerate and were raised right by their mamas and daddys. Many of those people refuse to get involved in forums because of the few members that cause rancor and discord. When a forum is board is kept cleaned up of trolls and bullies, the more mature and valuable members tend to come out to play. They invest their time in helping others because they are good people. By valuing them enough to ban the troublemakers and moderate out the insults and name calling, the discussions become more focused on interesting information and the power of the group starts to develop.

What has become apparent is that the problems usually start with posts that are in a gray area in terms of TOS violations. They are left and then others begin to try to one up the offender. By the time it becomes blatant and demands moderation, there is usually a few pages of bad posts mixed in with the good stuff and it takes a bit of work to clean it up. If we act too soon it becomes less obvious that moderation was needed. It's a balancing act but erring on the side keeping it friendly has created an environment where the board has grown into the largest of it's type by far and other boards based on the same topic are smaller and much more hostile.

I hope this helps and thanks for all the useful info that has been posted here. It has made getting started in the cattle business much faster, easier and less costly.

X2
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:40 pm

9x outta 10 the person who cries bully.
Just got proven wrong. Instead of admitting it and dusting themselves off and bellying back up to the table. They cry bully.
It's like I feared for my life...or think of the children.....
2 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:48 pm

callmefence wrote:9x outta 10 the person who cries bully.
Just got proven wrong. Instead of admitting it and dusting themselves off and bellying back up to the table. They cry bully.

I feared for my children.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:49 pm

TexasBred wrote:

He types too much, ban him.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:05 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

He types too much, ban him.

Everything in moderation. Including moderation.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

RayfromTX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby RayfromTX » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:03 pm

TexasBred wrote:

Scubaboard.com
1 x

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Postby alisonb » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:16 pm

It would seem that our Mods follow similar guidelines to you guys RayfromTX and do a pretty good job at that. Thanks for your input.

RayfromTX wrote:There is another forum on the board called the pub where pretty much anything but racism and bigotry is tolerated. Politics and religion are debated there as well as other hot button topics.

Now we know why there are 7,000,000 posts...give us Politics and Religion to discuss and we would clock that amount really quickly :lol:
RayfromTX wrote:They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole.

This sounds like it could be fun, please tell us more :P
1 x
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
callmefence wrote:9x outta 10 the person who cries bully.

I feared for my children.

Better than fearing from your children. (See, eg, Menendez brothers...).
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:51 pm

alisonb wrote:
RayfromTX wrote:They sometimes come back multiple times under new names,(sock puppets) and they are eventually ferreted out in a game of wackamole.

This sounds like it could be fun, please tell us more :P

Yeah, till admin has a belly full of their childish behavior and starts blocking big ranges of ip addresses, thus punishing dozens/hundreds of innocent users along with the guilty.
I know one board that blocked anyone with a Hotmail email address too..and for the same reason.
0 x

Covet Not!

torogmc81
GURU
GURU

Postby torogmc81 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 pm

Just went over to SCUBAboard, and it's not even close, their pictures blow Cattle Today's pictures out of the water ;-) :nod:
2 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:34 pm

torogmc81 wrote:Just went over to SCUBAboard, and it's not even close, their pictures blow Cattle Today's pictures out of the water ;-) :nod:

Pun intended?
1 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”