Barn camera

Got a calving or breeding question? Get an answer.
Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Barn camera

Postby Randi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:38 pm

TexasBred wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:
Dubcharo wrote:We are at our fourth year with cameras and we cannot live without them anymore!

Also a curse. I find myself GLUED to them. Even all hours of the night. I am so sleep deprived, my coffee needs coffee. My husband gives me a hard time about it but I can’t turn away when one is calving.

That as my question. Who watches calving when you're asleep??? Seems it would require 24/7 monitoring or it would be worthless.

There is no need to monitor it 24/7. It is one of those...work smarter, not harder....deals. With the camera, our cows actually get checked more often than when we went out and did it in person. Especially at night. Whenever someone wakes up to go to the washroom, you just check the camera. No need to get dressed, and if there's nothing to worry about, 10 min later you're back in bed asleep. Plus, the camera in the barn makes things a lot less stressful for any cows calving. Just check them remotely, they don't even notice. If you were to walk up to the barn to check, you interrupt things, probably takes 20 min for some cows to settle back down.
2 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Randi wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote:
Also a curse. I find myself GLUED to them. Even all hours of the night. I am so sleep deprived, my coffee needs coffee. My husband gives me a hard time about it but I can’t turn away when one is calving.

That as my question. Who watches calving when you're asleep??? Seems it would require 24/7 monitoring or it would be worthless.

There is no need to monitor it 24/7. It is one of those...work smarter, not harder....deals. With the camera, our cows actually get checked more often than when we went out and did it in person. Especially at night. Whenever someone wakes up to go to the washroom, you just check the camera. No need to get dressed, and if there's nothing to worry about, 10 min later you're back in bed asleep. Plus, the camera in the barn makes things a lot less stressful for any cows calving. Just check them remotely, they don't even notice. If you were to walk up to the barn to check, you interrupt things, probably takes 20 min for some cows to settle back down.

When one wakes us.....keyword.....sleep 10 minutes longer and you may lose a calf. Sounds like it's more of a convenience than more effective system.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Supa Dexta wrote:And I don't mean wifi cameras, but rather how to connect to the system from the house.

The ones we have are wireless. They are wired to a sending unit on the outside of the barn, then transmit wirelessly to the receiver in the house. Ours transmit 500-600 feet. They are rated to transmit up to 2 miles, I believe. But you have to have line of sight. And you can get an antenna that will transmit further than that. Trees will interfere with the signal, and that is a problem we have once the end of April rolls around and the trees leaf out.
0 x

Randi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Randi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:54 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Randi wrote:
TexasBred wrote:That as my question. Who watches calving when you're asleep??? Seems it would require 24/7 monitoring or it would be worthless.

When one wakes us.....keyword.....sleep 10 minutes longer and you may lose a calf. Sounds like it's more of a convenience than more effective system.

I suppose it would be a convenience. But a convenience, that I know has saved calves. At least 2 or 3 last spring (sac over their nose) And definitely a convenience that saves a LOT of sleep. More sleep = happier people= less arguments and less error.

Is it more effective than going out and checking in person? Yes, and no. There really is NO replacement for going out and checking in person. The camera doesn't give you a 'feel' for what is going on. When a cow walks away from you, that normally would not even move unless you step on her. And I've gone out a few times because I thought maybe there was something going on that didn't seem 'right', only to get out there are find no problem. BUT, I've watched a calf born on the camera, saw that the sac didn't break, and been able to get there in time to save the calf, same thing for a calf that was dropped upside down. Most will wiggle themselves out, but we've had to go out and help a couple.

If we have a cow that we know is calving, we will check on her in, at most, an hour (usually 1/2 hour), and I don't have to go out and aggravate her to do it. That, is where I think it is really more effective. Not having to disturb a calving cow. I can sit there and watch her calve, 20 minutes....I've tried the same thing in the pasture, and had to finally walk away, because they won't settle down and have the calf.
2 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm

To me the ability to WATCH without disturbing the cow is a huge advantage.
My cameras are set up to my TV in my bedroom (strictly used as a monitor). I wake up, peak at what's going on & roll over. I am a light sleeper and wake every few hours, but don't get cold!!!!
My old block barn has hard wire connection - barn is super close to house. Super clarity, can zoom in, 4 cameras.
My arch steel building is wireless and is "iffy". I have SecurityMan which only has two cameras. I have them mounted on the door frame & leave the steel door open a foot. I have a stronger antenna being shipped to me right now for (hopefully) better reception. The two stationary cameras do not give me enough good view. I have a splitter for the two systems to be switched to the TV.
I love Randi's camera. I have decided I need to designate a heifer sale to be used for that purchase.
1 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:08 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:To me the ability to WATCH without disturbing the cow is a huge advantage.
My cameras are set up to my TV in my bedroom (strictly used as a monitor). I wake up, peak at what's going on & roll over. I am a light sleeper and wake every few hours, but don't get cold!!!!
My old block barn has hard wire connection - barn is super close to house. Super clarity, can zoom in, 4 cameras.
My arch steel building is wireless and is "iffy". I have SecurityMan which only has two cameras. I have them mounted on the door frame & leave the steel door open a foot. I have a stronger antenna being shipped to me right now for (hopefully) better reception. The two stationary cameras do not give me enough good view. I have a splitter for the two systems to be switched to the TV.
I love Randi's camera. I have decided I need to designate a heifer sale to be used for that purchase.

We had them in the dairy barn but it was to watch the milkers not the cattle. :lol2:
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 pm

So do all of these systems have to have hardwired electricity or is there something out there that is good enough to run on solar?
0 x

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:46 pm

Jake, I don't know of any, but in this day & age, might be.
Read back on Randi's posts and check out her link.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Jake
GURU
GURU

Postby Jake » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Jake, I don't know of any, but in this day & age, might be.
Read back on Randi's posts and check out her link.

I read through that and have gone scoured the net. Doesn't seem like the solar units that are out there have the range or are so expensive it pays to run the power the 1000 ft. Cows may have to survive the old fashioned way.
2 x

NEFarmwife
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NEFarmwife » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Thought I’d share this tidbit with anyone who has an IP camera.

I was trying to mirror my iPhone to my TV, with no success. So I googled more on how to circumvent that (apple doesn’t want you to mirror without Apple TV)... and discovered my Roku device could do it. So I downloaded the “IP Camera” to my roku channel and am now streaming my camera on my bedroom tv. I can’t toggle on my roku app but I can use my iPhone app to move camera just as I would on my phone.

I’m in heaven. This makes my crappy, 16 inches of blowing snow and scooping bunks all day... so much better!
0 x

Return to “Breeding / Calving Issues”