Amazon narrows list.........

Anything that doesn't fit in the other boards.
User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm

Amazon narrows list.........

Postby jltrent » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:55 am

I'm thinking either GA, TN, OR NC because of the east central location, but it may boil down to who offers the most.



Amazon said Thursday it narrowed the list of potential cities for its second headquarters to 20 cities.

Amazon said it will spend $5 billion in the city where it builds its second headquarters, and will employ 50,000 there.

The cities are:

Atlanta, GA
Austin, TX
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Columbus, OH
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Indianapolis, IN
Los Angeles, CA
Miami, FL
Montgomery County, MD
Nashville, TN
Newark, NJ
New York City, NY
Northern Virginia, VA
Philadelphia, PA
Pittsburgh, PA
Raleigh, NC
Toronto, ON
Washington D.C.
The e-commerce giant received 238 proposals from cities in North America, many with lofty tax incentives and unique offers directed at CEO Jeff Bezos.

"Getting from 238 to 20 was very tough – all the proposals showed tremendous enthusiasm and creativity," Holly Sullivan, an executive with Amazon Public Policy, said in a statement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... li=BBnb4R7
0 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7469
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:26 am

It will be which ever one appears the most liberal but helps their bottom dollar out the most.

Austin would fit that bill to the T but I'm pretty sure Amazon will X it off of principal alone.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby Craig Miller » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:39 am

I'm betting on Nashville. It's liberal and only a couple hours from Memphis. Largest truck to rail hub around and FedEx hub at the airport.
1 x

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby shaz » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:45 am

Craig Miller wrote:I'm betting on Nashville. It's liberal and only a couple hours from Memphis. Largest truck to rail hub around and FedEx hub at the airport.


was going to write "no airline hub but didn't realize it was a Fedex hub.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:33 pm

shaz wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:I'm betting on Nashville. It's liberal and only a couple hours from Memphis. Largest truck to rail hub around and FedEx hub at the airport.


was going to write "no airline hub but didn't realize it was a Fedex hub.


It doesn't matter. Their shipping facilities aren't associated with their headquarters. My bet is Boston. People can live in Maine or New Hampshire (cheaper housing) and take the train right into the city. Major airport, on the ocean. May be a bit too liberal with taxes being a bit too high, but you never know. It will be interesting if Toronto gets it. That'll be quite the blow to America, but of course, people won't stop shopping there. Got to have their low priced crap!
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

User avatar
shaz
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1432
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:04 pm
Location: Middle Tn

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby shaz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:49 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
shaz wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:I'm betting on Nashville. It's liberal and only a couple hours from Memphis. Largest truck to rail hub around and FedEx hub at the airport.


was going to write "no airline hub but didn't realize it was a Fedex hub.


It doesn't matter. Their shipping facilities aren't associated with their headquarters. My bet is Boston. People can live in Maine or New Hampshire (cheaper housing) and take the train right into the city. Major airport, on the ocean. May be a bit too liberal with taxes being a bit too high, but you never know. It will be interesting if Toronto gets it. That'll be quite the blow to America, but of course, people won't stop shopping there. Got to have their low priced crap!


Electricity is really high and Logan was a pretty small airport last time I was there ...1998.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

User avatar
Craig Miller
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2235
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm
Location: Nw Alabama

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby Craig Miller » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:57 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:people won't stop shopping there. Got to have their low priced crap!


Hey I represent that
1 x

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11833
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:08 pm

I avoid ordering from Amazon at every opportunity. Hate 'em.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
ga.prime
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4899
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am
Location: So. Cent. Ga.

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby ga.prime » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:28 pm

Hope it's not in Atlanta. Then I'd have to start paying sales tax on the stuff I get from them. I think it'll be in Philadelphia.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2501
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Craig Miller wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:people won't stop shopping there. Got to have their low priced crap!


Hey I represent that


I do all the time. There’s no other place to buy books, movies, etc. It sucks, but they’ve put a lot of places out of business.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11833
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:51 pm

ga.prime wrote:Hope it's not in Atlanta. Then I'd have to start paying sales tax on the stuff I get from them. I think it'll be in Philadelphia.


Time to put a 10% Federal surcharge tax on all Internet transactions as well as allowing states to collect taxes on all Internet sales within their borders. If Trump wants to stick it to his arch enemy Bezos this would do it.
1 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4344
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:42 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
ga.prime wrote:Hope it's not in Atlanta. Then I'd have to start paying sales tax on the stuff I get from them. I think it'll be in Philadelphia.


Time to put a 10% Federal surcharge tax on all Internet transactions as well as allowing states to collect taxes on all Internet sales within their borders. If Trump wants to stick it to his arch enemy Bezos this would do it.


You would make a phenomenal liberal Canadian. They love to tax the living shyt out of everything a person buys. Tax a tax upon a tax.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11833
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Aaron wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
ga.prime wrote:Hope it's not in Atlanta. Then I'd have to start paying sales tax on the stuff I get from them. I think it'll be in Philadelphia.


Time to put a 10% Federal surcharge tax on all Internet transactions as well as allowing states to collect taxes on all Internet sales within their borders. If Trump wants to stick it to his arch enemy Bezos this would do it.


You would make a phenomenal liberal Canadian. They love to tax the living shyt out of everything a person buys. Tax a tax upon a tax.


There was a time when the Internet was a fledgling enterprise that special consideration vis a vis preferential tax treatment was justifiable. That time has passed. There is no excuse for sales online to go untaxed when businesses in local communities are forced to collect them. I'm sorry you can't process that. Too much cold air perhaps.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4344
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Contact:

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby Aaron » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:13 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Aaron wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Time to put a 10% Federal surcharge tax on all Internet transactions as well as allowing states to collect taxes on all Internet sales within their borders. If Trump wants to stick it to his arch enemy Bezos this would do it.


You would make a phenomenal liberal Canadian. They love to tax the living shyt out of everything a person buys. Tax a tax upon a tax.


There was a time when the Internet was a fledgling enterprise that special consideration vis a vis preferential tax treatment was justifiable. That time has passed. There is no excuse for sales online to go untaxed when businesses in local communities are forced to collect them. I'm sorry you can't process that. Too much cold air perhaps.


Taxing online purchases is not going to save the mom and pop stores. They can't begin to compete on price even without tax. Brick and mortar stores will eventually all go away, big and small all require too much investment and upkeep.

I come from the school of thought that less tax is always better, not advocating for more of it.
1 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7469
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Amazon narrows list.........

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 pm

Aaron wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Aaron wrote:
You would make a phenomenal liberal Canadian. They love to tax the living shyt out of everything a person buys. Tax a tax upon a tax.


There was a time when the Internet was a fledgling enterprise that special consideration vis a vis preferential tax treatment was justifiable. That time has passed. There is no excuse for sales online to go untaxed when businesses in local communities are forced to collect them. I'm sorry you can't process that. Too much cold air perhaps.


Taxing online purchases is not going to save the mom and pop stores. They can't begin to compete on price even without tax. Brick and mortar stores will eventually all go away, big and small all require too much investment and upkeep.

I come from the school of thought that less tax is always better, not advocating for more of it.


Time will tell but I think the future is going to be hybrid stores. Basically you can order online but there is store front to pick up, touch, feel, return, etc if need be. It will be like ordering take out pizza IMO.

It will be interesting to see.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain


Return to “Every Thing Else Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest