congrats to James Coffelt, Ohio land and cattle.. front page of ohio farmer!

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: congrats to James Coffelt, Ohio land and cattle.. front page of ohio farmer!

Postby sim.-ang.king » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:39 pm

They probably already would be already docked, if they had to run through the sale barn with everyone else's calves.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Re: congrats to James Coffelt, Ohio land and cattle.. front page of ohio farmer!

Postby Stocker Steve » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:06 pm

shaz wrote:As frame size continues to increase, I wonder how long his strategy will work without calves being deeply discounted?

The current trend is increasing PCC seed stock sales.
The odd thing (for commercial producers) is that PCC seems to discourage cross breeding.
Any reason you could not put a continental bull on a four frame angus PCC cow and get a good CAB feedlot calf?
0 x
Stocker Steve

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:17 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
TexasBred wrote:His cost sound a bit on the high side when you consider you're getting a midget cow.

Moderate framed NOT a midget!

BIG A$$ women use that term as well...."moderate frame". :lol2: :lol: Especially on Farmers only . com
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:19 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:James has a "Building Wealth vs. Income" article in the February issue of the Stockman Grass Farmer.
He ignores scale and marketing in this article, but does explains much of the why behind the Ohio Farmer write up.
I don't have the capital to play at his level. A partial solution is to tie into a successful marketing program, like PCC.

The "As seen on Tv" specialty items learned that ages ago. A sucker born every minute.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

kirkdickinson
Beginner
Beginner

Postby kirkdickinson » Wed May 16, 2018 9:55 am

HDRider wrote:I visited his place. He got bad hurt on an ATV. Not doing well at all. Have not heard from him in over a year.

I didn't know about the ATV wreck. He was over here last week and seemed fine.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 16, 2018 10:03 am

TexasBred wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
TexasBred wrote:His cost sound a bit on the high side when you consider you're getting a midget cow.

Moderate framed NOT a midget!

BIG A$$ women use that term as well...."moderate frame". :lol2: :lol: Especially on Farmers only . com

The old phrase was "pleasingly plump"........
(I have no room to talk. My name might be Don but it sure ain't Adonis)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed May 16, 2018 12:01 pm

kirkdickinson wrote:
HDRider wrote:I visited his place. He got bad hurt on an ATV. Not doing well at all. Have not heard from him in over a year.

I didn't know about the ATV wreck. He was over here last week and seemed fine.

Good to hear.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”