What's my next move?

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: What's my next move?

Postby slick4591 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Guess I was thinking the cost would be a lot more than the $500, so I'll do it all when it's time. I'm not interested in growing hay as I have to depend on others to cut, rake and bale it. Doesn't always work out. I called the Greenville co-op to get pricing. They are a few miles closer and better road to travel with the buggy. I called one of the weeds buttercup earlier, but they are those white and pink flowered weeds. Yes, I'll be on top of spraying this year. Thanks!
0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 am

Slick, if you are going to fertilize Bermuda, wait until the night time temperatures average 58 to 60 degrees for 3 to 4 nights. That typically is the last week of April or the first week of May here in Van Zandt County. You are about an hour NW of us.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks for the advice! My pasture is a mess as it has areas of decent Bermuda and some where it's non-existent. Lots of native stuff in areas and one spot where it's pretty void of anything except for the pink and white flower weeds. I would like to over seed in areas but I really don't know what would do well with what I have to work with.
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:20 pm

Can you lightly disk the areas that is not producing good grass. You might want to try one of the seeded bermuda varieties. Some produce almost as well as coastal. A light dose of 2,4-D after the grass is growing will keep weeds under control.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:40 pm

I was thinking of lightly running the disc over the entire pasture before putting out the fertilizer, then seed it. I'd run a harrow over all of that. My thing about Bermuda is keeping it moist enough to germinate and grow. I know I run that risk with any of it, but I understand Bermuda is not as tolerant as some other grasses.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:05 am

Bermuda grows from a rhizome , if you till it any it will stimulate it.
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:07 pm

slick4591 wrote:I was thinking of lightly running the disc over the entire pasture before putting out the fertilizer, then seed it. I'd run a harrow over all of that. My thing about Bermuda is keeping it moist enough to germinate and grow. I know I run that risk with any of it, but I understand Bermuda is not as tolerant as some other grasses.

I wouldn't run the harrow over it. A good rain will cover it enough.
0 x

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:39 am

M-5 wrote:Bermuda grows from a rhizome , if you till it any it will stimulate it.

Actually the harder you try to kill it with cultivation, the hardier it becomes....once it recovers from the tillage....in the growing season.
1 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:05 am

NolanCountyAG wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I was thinking of lightly running the disc over the entire pasture before putting out the fertilizer, then seed it. I'd run a harrow over all of that. My thing about Bermuda is keeping it moist enough to germinate and grow. I know I run that risk with any of it, but I understand Bermuda is not as tolerant as some other grasses.

I wouldn't run the harrow over it. A good rain will cover it enough.

OK. Thanks.
0 x

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:11 pm

Hat tip to Texmark about contacting El Dorado for my fertilizer. Made the call a few weeks back and found they would save me money, so I went today and bought. Added a little sulfur and potash and still kept below the co-op price. Put out 100 lbs per acre it brought back memories of just how rough a ride that spreader gives you. Neighbor is spraying his hay and I've hired him to get my weeds as well. Still haven't bought my grass seed but that's coming soon.
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”