Texas Proposition 1

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Re: Texas Proposition 1

Postby backhoeboogie » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Probably a lot less things thrown away. Fix it or repair shops might come back to life.

It will change the way we live, maybe a little. My granddaddy had every used spark plug he ever pulled out of the truck or tractor. Points too. He never threw it away. We live in a society now that has throw away plates, cups, and silverware. Drink bottles are all up and down the highway and you can't pick them up for a deposit return like we could coke bottles when we were kids.

;Anyway, I am thinking of the positives - maybe
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:07 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Let's convert every road in Texas to a tollway since they are maintained by tax money. Make them self supporting. Use them you pay.

That is the point. All this fair share talk... That is the most fair way to do it.

Your right CB. You get these people that like 13 relatives in one cheap house and that's exactly what happens.

15 Mexicans living is a $30K house pay nothing while one old rancher with 1000ac gets taken to the cleaners. Or these old people who built their modest home in 1960 for $30K are trying to pay property taxes on a $500K home just because the neighborhood grew up around them.

Old rancher ain't hurtin'. 1000 acres at any point in time made you a wealthy man for that time period and continued the longer you own the property. Should be worth quite a few millions today compared to that $3-4 an acre he paid for it. Same for the 30k house.

You can't pay bills with "worth".
2 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:28 pm

Lots of folks don't understand that. Unless one is borrowing against it, selling it, or finding some way to make it produce hard currency, it's just a 'worthless' piece of paper, good only for the appraiser's office.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:54 pm

greybeard wrote:

Lots of folks don't understand that. Unless one is borrowing against it, selling it, or finding some way to make it produce hard currency, it's just a 'worthless' piece of paper, good only for the appraiser's office.

Yup, that's the same reason you should not consider your home an investment unless you are willing to sell it.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:00 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
greybeard wrote:

Yup, that's the same reason you should not consider your home an investment unless you are willing to sell it.

You add the cost of construction or house note, taxes along with insurance lots of liability a month.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:46 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
greybeard wrote:Lots of folks don't understand that. Unless one is borrowing against it, selling it, or finding some way to make it produce hard currency, it's just a 'worthless' piece of paper, good only for the appraiser's office.

You add the cost of construction or house note, taxes along with insurance lots of liability a month.

Beats renting a place to sleep and eat at.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:51 pm

Grit you are renting quit paying the note or taxes see how long your there.
Very few people can write a check for their home, even if they can there still renting the place.
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:22 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
That is the point. All this fair share talk... That is the most fair way to do it.

Your right CB. You get these people that like 13 relatives in one cheap house and that's exactly what happens.

15 Mexicans living is a $30K house pay nothing while one old rancher with 1000ac gets taken to the cleaners. Or these old people who built their modest home in 1960 for $30K are trying to pay property taxes on a $500K home just because the neighborhood grew up around them.

Old rancher ain't hurtin'. 1000 acres at any point in time made you a wealthy man for that time period and continued the longer you own the property. Should be worth quite a few millions today compared to that $3-4 an acre he paid for it. Same for the 30k house.

Land rich.....dirt poor. When an asset becomes a liability. You know most people expect assets to appreciate in value when they buy them. They also expect to pay taxes on most. If they didn't take that into consideration don't blame me. Not my fault your 1000 acres won't cash flow or that you have a half million dollar house you can't pay the taxes on. Great time to sale and there are smaller more affordable houses to buy and live in. Being over 70 years old now the lady of the house would probably appreciate a smaller house to take care of.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:27 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Old rancher ain't hurtin'. 1000 acres at any point in time made you a wealthy man for that time period and continued the longer you own the property. Should be worth quite a few millions today compared to that $3-4 an acre he paid for it. Same for the 30k house.

Land rich.....dirt poor. When an asset becomes a liability. You know most people expect assets to appreciate in value when they buy them. They also expect to pay taxes on most. If they didn't take that into consideration don't blame me. Not my fault your 1000 acres won't cash flow or that you have a half million dollar house you can't pay the taxes on. Great time to sale and there are smaller more affordable houses to buy and live in. Being over 70 years old now the lady of the house would probably appreciate a smaller house to take care of.

The can afford their land. They can't afford to feed the govt. Just because the govt can not get their spending under control does not mean they should lose their land.
2 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:29 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

The can afford their land. They can't afford to feed the govt. Just because the govt can not get their spending under control does not mean they should lose their land.

I forgot it's always the govenment's fault....until you need them.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:12 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Grit you are renting quit paying the note or taxes see how long your there.
Very few people can write a check for their home, even if they can there still renting the place.

This is a good read, unless you know everything.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am

Caustic Burno wrote:Grit you are renting quit paying the note or taxes see how long your there.

I found a farm I want. Been sitting for sale for quite some time. No longer Ag Exempt. As I understand, it will take 5 years and a lot of butt kissing to get the exemption back. In the mean time, it is a huge expense that the cows cannot cover. So I aint buying the place. Neither is anyone else apparently.

From your perspective, my cows can't afford the rent.
3 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:31 pm

backhoeboogie wrote:

I found a farm I want. Been sitting for sale for quite some time. No longer Ag Exempt. As I understand, it will take 5 years and a lot of butt kissing to get the exemption back. In the mean time, it is a huge expense that the cows cannot cover. So I aint buying the place. Neither is anyone else apparently.

From your perspective, my cows can't afford the rent.

I have never heard it takes 5 years to get an ag exemption. That is in Texas?
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Yep that got passed a few years back.
You let that exception lapse your not getting it back without a fight.
Guy down the road fighting that battle right now. He finally got it me and two other guys had to sign affidavits that we had constantly had the place in hay production.
1 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Yup. I'm reading where it says it had to be exempt 5 of the last 7 years. Thats pretty tough.
2 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”