84212 fixed knot fence

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
Tonka
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: 84212 fixed knot fence

Postby Tonka » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 pm

Hey Farm I know you like the gripple’s , but wondering if you have tried the FastLok’s ?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:16 am

Tonka wrote:Hey Farm I know you like the gripple’s , but wondering if you have tried the FastLok’s ?

I have, and they work fine. I prefer Gripples, and the price and availability are better.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:19 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/p-4037-bekaert-solidlock-cattle-fence-12ga-660.aspx
Doesn't seem to be that great of a deal. We aren't interested in being the cheapest on the front end, but if we can supply a product that has the lowest long term cost of ownership, we've done our job well.

A couple of the independent SS stores have inquired about switching to Tornado. It seems we are starting to make a dent. You already know how I feel about Tornado, so I'll not waste the paper. Call Me Fence is a no BS kind of man, and a pretty hard sell. I left him with a roll of 949-12 and a roll of barbed wire last April, and now he has near 42,000 pounds of it in stock. I think that says quite a bit about our quality, especially with Stay Tuff and San Antonio Steel within cannon range of Fenceman's place. The same story has repeated it's self several times in the past couple of years. My two biggest local contracting competitors are all Tornado now. The wire speaks for it's self.......Especially so if you stretch a roll from the other guys along side of ours. To ice the cake, the people of Tornado actually care.
FWIW, I'd go with longer corner posts and wider braces. Local knowledge on the depth of line posts is relevant.

A couple pics of Fence and one of the founders of Tornado Wire, who started as a fencing contractor. Welcome to the forum, Tonka!

its fixed knot class 3 HT. What would make it 'not that great'? Whats so good about the tornada wire, why should I switch to it?

I'd be glad to get some Tornado in your hands for your next fencing project. I can brag on it all day long, but it's easier if you'll just give it a chance. Cost will be the first advantage, and longevity the second. I get pretty close to you on a regular basis, and I'd be more than happy to get some wire in your hands to have a go with.

I'd love to try some. Whats the cost for 660' rolls of woven?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:51 am

ddd75 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:

its fixed knot class 3 HT. What would make it 'not that great'? Whats so good about the tornada wire, why should I switch to it?

I'd be glad to get some Tornado in your hands for your next fencing project. I can brag on it all day long, but it's easier if you'll just give it a chance. Cost will be the first advantage, and longevity the second. I get pretty close to you on a regular basis, and I'd be more than happy to get some wire in your hands to have a go with.

I'll make sure it's a competitive price for you. How many rolls? 949-12?
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:29 am

ddd75 wrote:

I'll make sure it's a competitive price for you. How many rolls? 949-12?

yea 9 / 49 / 12 would work great. I have 14 rolls of 660' beakart right now so I'm pretty set. But I could pick up a few rolls of that and maybe soe of those metal 20' fence panels from you sometime.
0 x

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SDM » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Search brought me to this thread, what's the advantage of fixed knot over the old style woven wire other than price?
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:49 pm

SDM wrote:Search brought me to this thread, what's the advantage of fixed knot over the old style woven wire other than price?

The wire itself can be more expensive, but the cost of installation is less. Increased post spacing and it goes up with less labor than hinge joint. It’s also considerably more durable. The solid vertical stay makes it much stiffer.
0 x

fence_it
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby fence_it » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 pm

SDM wrote:Search brought me to this thread, what's the advantage of fixed knot over the old style woven wire other than price?

3 big differences between fixed knot woven (tornado, stay tuff, toughstrand) and old school low carbon stuff(red brand)

1. Class 3 galvanized- Rust typically doesn't start occurring until anywhere between 15 and 30 years. Class 1 can start rusting in under 5 years.
2. Fixed Knot- Much more durable, doesn't fold up like hinge joint woven, the vertical stays can't be moved. Over time the fence won't shift or sag.
3. High Tensile- Easy to stretch and stretches tight. Greater breaking strength, more durable for livestock pressure.

I'd say HT fixed knot wire easily has double the lifespan of low carbon class 1 wire. It costs more but you get what you pay for. :cboy:
1 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SDM » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:38 am

Thank you. I should have been more clear. The ones I'm looking at are both high tensile and class III. I meant old style of attaching the vertical and horizontal lines.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:12 am

fence_it wrote:

3 big differences between fixed knot woven (tornado, stay tuff, toughstrand) and old school low carbon stuff(red brand)

1. Class 3 galvanized- Rust typically doesn't start occurring until anywhere between 15 and 30 years. Class 1 can start rusting in under 5 years.
2. Fixed Knot- Much more durable, doesn't fold up like hinge joint woven, the vertical stays can't be moved. Over time the fence won't shift or sag.
3. High Tensile- Easy to stretch and stretches tight. Greater breaking strength, more durable for livestock pressure.

I'd say HT fixed knot wire easily has double the lifespan of low carbon class 1 wire. It costs more but you get what you pay for. :cboy:

There are Class I high tensile products on the market, and there are Class III low carbon products on the market. Another trick is to substitute 14 gauge wire into the vertical stays to make it look less expensive than the competitors. The variables in net wire can be a bit overwhelming, but like you said, you get what you pay for.
I’m headed out to build a Class III Fence top to bottom today. Now that’s high class. Lol

1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:52 am

fence_it wrote:

There are Class I high tensile products on the market, and there are Class III low carbon products on the market. Another trick is to substitute 14 gauge wire into the vertical stays to make it look less expensive than the competitors. The variables in net wire can be a bit overwhelming, but like you said, you get what you pay for.
I’m headed out to build a Class III Fence top to bottom today. Now that’s high class. Lol

Just finished up here. Bed full of dead soldiers came in last night.

1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SDM » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:10 am

This is motto. 20 years ago I helped my dad build quite a bit using this. Now I'm getting back into this world. A lot has changed, but I'm gravitating back to what I remember I guess. I've never seen tornado here. I'm not opposed to using it if it was available.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:46 am

SDM wrote:This is motto. 20 years ago I helped my dad build quite a bit using this. Now I'm getting back into this world. A lot has changed, but I'm gravitating back to what I remember I guess. I've never seen tornado here. I'm not opposed to using it if it was available.

Where is here?
0 x

SDM
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SDM » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:19 am

VA, near Richmond.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”