Branding issue

Cattle problems.
AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Branding issue

Postby AZAggie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:11 pm

I'm having issues with my cattle moving around too much when branding in the chute. I have a Preifert squeeze chute and electric branding iron. The cows are moving too much in the chute and it is causing the brand to smear. The cows will hunch up forward or drop their rear down (I'm putting the brand on the right hip). Anyone have any suggestions on what has worked for you?
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Re: Branding issue

Postby wbvs58 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:24 pm

When freeze branding I use a hook made of 1/2 " round steel in their mouth to chew on to take their mind off it. I think it would delay the jump when hot branding also. It is modeled off the "Dr Hook" instrument, if you google that I am sure you would find it.

Ken
0 x

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:35 pm

It's called patience and perseverance.

Clip first as you can make a better brand by doing so. Unless hair isn't an issue in Oklahoma.
You can't just hit them with the iron and expect them to stand motionless. Be ready to pull back when they move and line things up again until you have a good job done.

First ya get good, then ya get fast........
2 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:11 pm

:2cents: Get someone to pull the tail straight up over there back. Helps me
0 x

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Postby jerry27150 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:38 pm

squeeze them harder
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:47 pm

All three of the above posts will help but I have found that what Gcreek said is the most important.
0 x

Beefeater
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Beefeater » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Personally I prefer not to squeeze the sides in when branding (very old manual chute), as they always seem to get in some terrible inaccessible position, and I’d have to open sides up again. I also learned to give a first touch of just a couple seconds to burn the hair (I don’t clip using electric brand either) and establish a nice template. I follow this with a few quick touches until nerves are dead, then they stand just fine.

My first branding attempts were pretty awful. After I stopped trying to do it in a single pass it really came together quickly. Probably takes me 4-5 minutes, but working by myself and keeping them fairly calm is much more enjoyable and easier on my equipment!
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:53 pm

gcreekrch wrote:It's called patience and perseverance.

Clip first as you can make a better brand by doing so. Unless hair isn't an issue in Oklahoma.
You can't just hit them with the iron and expect them to stand motionless. Be ready to pull back when they move and line things up again until you have a good job done.

First ya get good, then ya get fast........

This..
Put the iron to em. When they throw a fit pull back until they calm then go back.
Not always but lots of time they'll stand there and take it.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

AZAggie
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AZAggie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks for the info. I was trying to do it in one shot. That was probably my biggest problem. More patience needed on my part.
0 x
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."--General George S. Patton

RayfromTX
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby RayfromTX » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:05 am

If a brand doesn't take fully, what is the best technique to go back in a month later to clean it up?
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:10 pm

AZAggie wrote:Thanks for the info. I was trying to do it in one shot. That was probably my biggest problem. More patience needed on my part.

Definitely don't hesitate to pull it off even if it takes 3 or 4 touches with the brand.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Fire Sweep Ranch » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:18 pm

wbvs58 wrote:When freeze branding I use a hook made of 1/2 " round steel in their mouth to chew on to take their mind off it. I think it would delay the jump when hot branding also. It is modeled off the "Dr Hook" instrument, if you google that I am sure you would find it.

Ken

(laughing face)... have you googled Dr Hook???? I guess it was a popular band. I had to put "cattle" in the query to get a hit on what "dr hook" is.... lol
0 x
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Postby gizmom » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:02 pm

Not only did I listen to Dr. hook I know all the words to freakers ball!

Gizmom
0 x
Respect give it to get it!

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:59 am

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
wbvs58 wrote:When freeze branding I use a hook made of 1/2 " round steel in their mouth to chew on to take their mind off it. I think it would delay the jump when hot branding also. It is modeled off the "Dr Hook" instrument, if you google that I am sure you would find it.

Ken

(laughing face)... have you googled Dr Hook???? I guess it was a popular band. I had to put "cattle" in the query to get a hit on what "dr hook" is.... lol

Ha, as long as you found the cattle hook in the end and listened to some music as well.

Ken
0 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”