now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Cattle problems.
User avatar
Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7053
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:34 pm
Location: Ctrl Virginia

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby Workinonit Farm » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:27 am

ddd75 wrote:
I Have NEVER met a producer who gives medication for no reason.

.


As, similarly, stated already, spend any amount of time on here and you will read of many folks administering LA200 or LA300 or whatever Antibiotic they have on hand, because their cow/calf/bull was looking odd, was a little off, had a cough, blew some snot, was limping, had a lump, etc. without taking taking the time to get a set of vital signs on the animal, such as respiratory rate, heart rate, temperature etc. I have read, many times, where something was given when there was no idea what may have even been wrong. I'm not saying call the vet for every little thing, but what I am saying is that every little thing doesn't necessarily need an antibiotic.

I also think, as someone else stated, that this has more to do with control over how we manage our herds, run our life, than it does concern about the use of Oxytet etc.

I also don't think that this is some big plan by our veterinarians, as the few I have spoken with, view the new VFD as more of a PIA than anything, and that the last thing THEY need is more paperwork & regulations. It will not result in huge financial benefits for them.

And Bigfoot........ pretty much everything IS already regulated, to some degree or another.

This is/will be just one more step closer to vertical integration for the beef industry, as has happened to pork & poultry.

We discussed topics like these, a bunch of years ago, and it is beginning to come to fruition. :???:
2 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16880
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby greybeard » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:45 am

There will be a broader attempt to regulate all manner of everything in our lives.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby bball » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:55 am

greybeard wrote:There is a broader attempt to regulate all manner of everything in our lives.


Its very rare..but i fixed that for ya GB. :compute:
1 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2809
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby bball » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:11 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
ddd75 wrote:
I Have NEVER met a producer who gives medication for no reason.

.


As, similarly, stated already, spend any amount of time on here and you will read of many folks administering LA200 or LA300 or whatever Antibiotic they have on hand, because their cow/calf/bull was looking odd, was a little off, had a cough, blew some snot, was limping, had a lump, etc. without taking taking the time to get a set of vital signs on the animal, such as respiratory rate, heart rate, temperature etc. I have read, many times, where something was given when there was no idea what may have even been wrong. I'm not saying call the vet for every little thing, but what I am saying is that every little thing doesn't necessarily need an antibiotic.

I also think, as someone else stated, that this has more to do with control over how we manage our herds, run our life, than it does concern about the use of Oxytet etc.

I also don't think that this is some big plan by our veterinarians, as the few I have spoken with, view the new VFD as more of a PIA than anything, and that the last thing THEY need is more paperwork & regulations. It will not result in huge financial benefits for them.

And Bigfoot........ pretty much everything IS already regulated, to some degree or another.

This is/will be just one more step closer to vertical integration for the beef industry, as has happened to pork & poultry.

We discussed topics like these, a bunch of years ago, and it is beginning to come to fruition. :???:


Agree completely about the vet perspective. The vet group we use voiced almost exactly that very sentiment in your post.

Its not "big vet", or "big pharmacy" pushing this. Something far more sinister....ignorance. There is a movement in our population that agriculture in general is bad and that all people involved are bad. And we need to be protected from bad things, so who better to protect us than those we trust the most to lead us. Everything about the lifestyle most of us lead who are involved with cattle(regardless of 5 head or 5000) flies in the face of popular culture. Namely; independence, self sufficiency, critical thinking, problem solving, and individualism. One of the last firmly anchored collection of peoples left in this nation. This group bas been directly attacked by social programs, federal and state programs, and essentially every aspect of this way of life has been attacked in a way that makes it infinitely more difficult, less viable, and less self reliant. By design or accident? I dont know for certain. We as producers also have a share of the blame for allowing some of these things to take effect and remain in place, along with being reactive instead of proactive with our product and lifestyle.
5 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
Happy people build their inner world; unhappy people blame their outer world. -Dalai Lama

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4295
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Just wait until you will have to pay a vet to inject anything, or give any type of medicine.
Be it a scour pill to a group of sick calves, vaccines, or even pour-on.
It's coming, and there will be nothing we can do about it, until we the farmers take charge, and run the regulators out on a rail.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1605
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby Ky hills » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:34 pm

If this is the case then it may back fire on the do gooders that supposedly want a safe product for consumers that isn't medicated. Although I suspect very few producers would not do what was needed to treat their animals if need be, some may choose to not treat as quickly or at all for basic ailments like pinkeye or an infection. To me those kinds of ailments are easily treated relatively inexpensively with the OTC tetracycline products if treated in a timely fashion. I try to keep that on hand for just such emergencies and have pretty good success rate when a problem is noticed early. I fear that this would cause some to delay treatment in part due to timing constraints or convenience issues.
0 x

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1605
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby Ky hills » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:41 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:Just wait until you will have to pay a vet to inject anything, or give any type of medicine.
Be it a scour pill to a group of sick calves, vaccines, or even pour-on.
It's coming, and there will be nothing we can do about it, until we the farmers take charge, and run the regulators out on a rail.


I fear we the farmers are not in a place to take charge, maybe maybe not just don't know the anwer to that, but one thing is for sure we the farmers will ultimately end up carrying the burden of the added costs. If the respective livestock organizations could/would communicate with the consuming public the truth and consequences of these issues it may have some influence. I also think that if the consumers as well as other points in the supply chain beared some of the added costs to compensate instead of the farmers absorbing all the costs it may wake some up.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2042
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby ddd75 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

i see its prescription only in california already!
0 x

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1958
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby farmerjan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:51 pm

A friend with a goat dairy in Ca said that all antibiotics were prescription in CA and she had to go over the OR line to get some stuff since the vet is nearly 2 hours from her and it is not practical. This same type discussion takes place on other forums too.
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22759
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:23 am

ddd75 wrote:OTC tetracycline is the next target for VFD.

Food /water tetracycline was down 70% after the VFD.

VET / CLIENT RELATIONSHIPS WAY WAY UP.


Now.. all OTC tetracycline will be required to have a prescription!!! Thats what they are working on.

WHY?? IS this being misused? Are we running around catching cows to hop them up on some LA200 just for fun and giggles??

I Have NEVER met a producer who gives medication for no reason.


TO ME.. This is unfolding a nice story about putting more money in the vets pocket.


We were told a couple years ago at a beef workshop that was coming.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29618
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby TexasBred » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:21 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Aaron wrote:End of the year, here, and all antibiotics will be from vet, no more at feed store. Just so you know what is coming. Prices aren't much different for me, just a little further to drive and pick up.


I was at UGA veterinary meeting Tuesday and two different speakers said the VFD wasn't anything compared to what's coming down the pike.

It should have been regulated first.
Agree. VFD is geared to feed. There will be a broader attempt to regulate all manner of medications administered by Producers.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

boondocks
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2461
Joined: Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby boondocks » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:48 pm

I like being able to buy oxytet at the farm store. (I have no desire to be able to buy antibiotic-laced feed there).
Anyone who thinks farmers never use antibiotics irresponsibly has not read many cattle forums (CT included).
One of the wisest things I've learned was actually from Dun's (may he rest in peace) frequent, laid-back exhortation for us all to practice some "benign neglect." It gave me the courage to wait out many a panicked-newbie moment.
1 x

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16880
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby greybeard » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:47 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:Just wait until you will have to pay a vet to inject anything, or give any type of medicine.
Be it a scour pill to a group of sick calves, vaccines, or even pour-on.
It's coming, and there will be nothing we can do about it, until we the farmers take charge, and run the regulators out on a rail.

Too many of them are lining their pockets for 'us' to be able to do that. But, you're right. As long as the lawmakers have plenty of someones that are willing to do the dirty work for them for their 30 pieces of silver, in enforcement, we'll always be at peril. That is where the problems lie and always has been.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ddd75
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2042
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 am
Location: KY

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby ddd75 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 am

boondocks wrote:I like being able to buy oxytet at the farm store. (I have no desire to be able to buy antibiotic-laced feed there).
Anyone who thinks farmers never use antibiotics irresponsibly has not read many cattle forums (CT included).
One of the wisest things I've learned was actually from Dun's (may he rest in peace) frequent, laid-back exhortation for us all to practice some "benign neglect." It gave me the courage to wait out many a panicked-newbie moment.



well.. i'm sure.. as with everything.. their are abuses to a products intent.

I don't hang out with hobby farmers so I don't know what they do.. I do know most of it is wrong.

But anyway.. I seriously doubt that a few hundred idiots are the ones driving this change. Out of millions of head of cattle, MOST in capable hands, I don't think they are looking at bob the hobby farmer. But maybe I'm wrong.. Those type of idiots do ruin everything usually.
0 x

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7302
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: now they want to take away ALL OTC tetracycline. (LA200,etc)

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 am

ddd75 wrote:well.. i'm sure.. as with everything.. their are abuses to a products intent.

But anyway.. I seriously doubt that a few hundred idiots are the ones driving this change.


The regulation of antibiotics is not "group driven". It is not focused on 'hobby producers' versus 'professional producers'. The intent is to keep the meat food chain free of antibiotics and to reduce the risk of drug resistant microbes.

There is a misconception that beef, pork and poultry have high levels of antibiotics in the finished meat - studies do not support that. The vast majority of animal scientist and veterinarians are not pushing for additional regulations. It is coming from the consumer and health officials.
4 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.


Return to “Health & Nutrition”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests