Mud Terrain Tires.Are they worth it?

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Mud Terrain Tires.Are they worth it?

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:21 pm

kenny thomas wrote:
jehosofat wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Screw the tires I wanted to go "crappy, speck, or white perch fishing" or whatever those Bama hillbillies call them.

They still bitin', load up, come on.

On call at work 7 days a week till May 1. But I sure like the idea.

There's got to be cell phone service somewhere on the lake Kenny.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:41 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:
jehosofat wrote:
They still bitin', load up, come on.

On call at work 7 days a week till May 1. But I sure like the idea.

There's got to be cell phone service somewhere on the lake Kenny.

I'm on 1 hour response time to be at work so that is about 5 hours out of being in the right place.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

jdg
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby jdg » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:24 am

My BFG KO2's wore inconsistently. Not sure why...had them rotated regularly, and most folks around here have had good luck with them. They were great on the road, and looked aggressive, but didn't really offer much in mud. Toyo MT's are the best mud tire i've ridden on road, but like any mud tire, they are a compromise on road. The NItto Ridge grappler's i'm driving now are my favorite so far. Excellent on road manners, and decent off road performance. Mud tires typically just give you the balls to get a little too far in the sink, IMO.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:46 am

Just ordered a pretty aggressive set for the farm truck , nankang or something , blew one Saturday pulling the stock trailer . Luckily it wasn't loaded , but it put an end to about 5 years of procrastinating .
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:27 am

Silver wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
What issues have you had with the BFG's? I've used them since the mid-90's and they've been good to me.

Balance issues is my only complaint, it took 7 tires till I was happy with the ride. I had the tires balanced by 3 different places. One was the 4 Wheel Parts store and they have a high speed bump balance deal that balances the tires while there still on the truck. When I pay top dollar for a tire I want it to ride smooth at any speed.

I ran BFG AT's for years, couldn't get rid of the dang things. One pair would separate, but the other two would be good so to keep them matched I'd buy another pair, then the older ones would separate. Never did get a set to wear out before they separated. Tire shop did admit it was a problem with them at the time, I think they've since fixed that issue but I still have such a bad taste from it that I doubt if I will ever buy another set.

Luck of the draw I reckon. I've never had a BFG separate, but have had plenty of Coopers go out with a bang - literally. I have noticed the BFG's are hard to balance, and once they get a little wear they'll vibrate the first 10 or 15 minutes on interstate. Also have a bunch of their commercial truck tires on trailers, and have no complaints with them.
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:26 am

I had the same feelings when radials first came out. For awhile I was able to find bias "real" mud tires like we used to get and had them on my feed/hay truck. I don't know why the radial ply makes any difference in tread design. Sure would be nice to have the chevrons that clean out like yesteryear.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”