What is acceptable bull behavior?

The place to start if you are new!
SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Re: What is acceptable bull behavior?

Postby SPH » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:37 am

Brute 23 wrote:There is no such animal. Your only fooling yourself.

You are entitled to your opinion on that but I'd say that is in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't be scared to turn my back on animal in our herd right now including the 2 bulls. I can only remember maybe 2 or 3 Hereford bulls we've ever had on the farm over the years that I couldn't say that about and the only other ones would be some black crossbred cows that had some bad temperaments we used to have a long time ago before we sold off all the remaining crossbreds and went 100% with registered Herefords. We have some cows in the herd today that have never been on a halter that will let you walk right up to them and scratch them. If anything we sometimes have the opposite problem with a few cows not having enough "wild" in them that can sometimes be a pain in the butt to work through the chute because they just want to stand there. My folks are at the age where cows or bulls with poor temperament or are too high headed/high strung aren't worth the hassle so we cull any that consistently give us problems when we work cattle. They just aren't worth the effort if they constantly cause problems or are too wild that you either worry about your safety or how you are going to help them if they are having problems calving or are injured.
0 x

texan@heart
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby texan@heart » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:38 am

We use a bullwhip when we pick up bulls in the fall. Usually give it a crack and the bulls head to the gate. Occasionally, a bull needs a little more persuasion but not very often. Some practice will be required and I’d suggest earmuffs for a beginner. Bulls are like kids teach them some manners when they are young and with some adjustments along the way everyone will get along fine.
3 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:08 pm

texan@heart wrote:We use a bullwhip when we pick up bulls in the fall. Usually give it a crack and the bulls head to the gate. Occasionally, a bull needs a little more persuasion but not very often. Some practice will be required and I’d suggest earmuffs for a beginner. Bulls are like kids teach them some manners when they are young and with some adjustments along the way everyone will get along fine.

I agree, good post I would like it but my like button wont work anymore
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:59 pm

I've had good luck with the flags. They don't like that sound. B&G
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:41 pm

NonTypicalCPA wrote: This 12x12 was built as my catch and load out area. How would you improve this to make loading easier?

Even if you're only going to be loading out one head every 10 years you need a loading chute. I prefer 28" wide, but in any case not wide enough for them to turn around in.

The exception I can think of might be if your cattle are completely halter broken. I know nothing about that subject.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Postby houstoncutter » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:54 pm

Simple, I don’t! You may be 6’7 295 and built like JJ Watts. That bull is a ton or better and is 20 times stronger than you. A bull doesn’t have to mean or aggressive to do the job you need done.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:28 am

NonTypicalCPA wrote:So how do you convince an animal to get in a trailer that doesn’t want to? He was in a 12x12 pen with the trailer backed right up flush to it. How would you use a prod in this scenario?

first time i loaded a bull we backed into a similar spot.. I was about to go tell the bull to get in.. guy who owned him said.. just wait..

we sat there, didn't say a word or move for 5 minutes.

that bull just stood there.. turned a few times.. then just walked right into the trailer like nothing. I was pretty stunned.

ol guy said.. 'see, that worked better'
1 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:13 pm

ddd75 wrote:
NonTypicalCPA wrote:So how do you convince an animal to get in a trailer that doesn’t want to? He was in a 12x12 pen with the trailer backed right up flush to it. How would you use a prod in this scenario?

first time i loaded a bull we backed into a similar spot.. I was about to go tell the bull to get in.. guy who owned him said.. just wait..

we sat there, didn't say a word or move for 5 minutes.

that bull just stood there.. turned a few times.. then just walked right into the trailer like nothing. I was pretty stunned.

ol guy said.. 'see, that worked better'

I bet that bull had been moved in a trailer a bunch of times. There is more bulls and cows that wont do that than will.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:23 am

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.. Last few bulls except for the Limo just walked right on.. Limo needed a little convincing but wasn't too difficult about it.

It's good if the pen is small.. smaller than the trailer, it seems the bovine mind sees it as "getting out" because the destination is bigger... At least that's my take on it
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Return to “Beginners Board”