fence tips and tricks

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: fence tips and tricks

Postby greybeard » Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
greybeard wrote:
callmefence wrote:
That's horrible. No dead man and he made it outta wood.

I just figured it was a itty bitty fence about 10' long, thus the short horizontal brace post. That's the worst thing I see wrong with it..it's all out of proportion..width to height. Surprised the center post didn't just pull out of the ground.

If there was ever any tight wire tied to that post, it pulled out of the ground.

My thought is, the posts are so close together, making the angle of the brace wire being very sharp. Once he puts strain on the brace wire, there's more force applied upward on the center post than there is in holding the braces in. It is possible tho, it's just a demonstration, purposely using short horizontals simply to keep everything in the picture.

Photoshopped?
I don't think so.
https://www.coastalfarm.com/coastal-101 ... ce-corner/

Some of the text I don't really agree with either, but i do understand it's an ad.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

fence_it
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby fence_it » Wed May 09, 2018 12:59 am

Its real. I actually found it while taking a detour during my college commute. Coastal farm is based here and has their main store and corporate office here.

Last time I drove by it had 3 strands of polywire on it, fiberglass rods for line posts. Cows out in the field grazing happily.

Posts depth and rail length are the two big things I see wrong. The article mentions 24 to 30" post depth, not near deep enough for a corner, I like 40"+. To counteract the upward force on the corner posts the brace wire should be at as flat an angle as possible. Thats why you should use a minmum 10' brace rail or build a double brace out of two shorter rails.
1 x
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 09, 2018 5:07 am

ez14. wrote:
ez14. wrote:The wire I was using was cut pretty clean I also don't think that I pushed to hard. And I've only had it happen with barb wire. It was almost like there was nothing holding it in?

The Barbed Gripples are big enough for 12.5 gauge, and work on 14 gauge, as well. The only barbed Gripples I’ve had slip, held fine on the second attempt. I think that 14 gauge is just on the small end of what will work in that particular Gripple. 15.5 gauge works fine in a medium. Of course, an occasional manufacturing defect wouldn’t be out of the question. The rate of failure we’ve seen over the past 6 or 8 years is well within my limits.

I'm thinking maybe I got a bad batch? I've only opened one pack (10 in a package I think it is? ) and I've had 3 come apart. If it just slips I retry it and it usually works but these ones are coming right apart

In my case it was not just a slip. The plastic guts pulled out of the metal. Maybe I put it under too much strain.
0 x
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Wed May 09, 2018 5:51 am

Bright Raven wrote:
ez14. wrote:
The Barbed Gripples are big enough for 12.5 gauge, and work on 14 gauge, as well. The only barbed Gripples I’ve had slip, held fine on the second attempt. I think that 14 gauge is just on the small end of what will work in that particular Gripple. 15.5 gauge works fine in a medium. Of course, an occasional manufacturing defect wouldn’t be out of the question. The rate of failure we’ve seen over the past 6 or 8 years is well within my limits.

I'm thinking maybe I got a bad batch? I've only opened one pack (10 in a package I think it is? ) and I've had 3 come apart. If it just slips I retry it and it usually works but these ones are coming right apart

In my case it was not just a slip. The plastic guts pulled out of the metal. Maybe I put it under too much strain.
same only I didn't have them under any pressure yet. And when I look at the medium grapples it looks like they have a slight pinch behind the plastic part to hold them in but the barb wire grapples don't seem to have anything to hold them in there just smooth
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 09, 2018 5:55 am

ez14. wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
ez14. wrote:I'm thinking maybe I got a bad batch? I've only opened one pack (10 in a package I think it is? ) and I've had 3 come apart. If it just slips I retry it and it usually works but these ones are coming right apart

same only I didn't have them under any pressure yet. And when I look at the medium grapples it looks like they have a slight pinch behind the plastic part to hold them in but the barb wire grapples don't seem to have anything to hold them in there just smooth

I see what you mean. I have only had it happen with the barb wire gripple.
0 x
Diogenes.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed May 09, 2018 5:59 am

ez14. wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
ez14. wrote:I'm thinking maybe I got a bad batch? I've only opened one pack (10 in a package I think it is? ) and I've had 3 come apart. If it just slips I retry it and it usually works but these ones are coming right apart

If you are poking the plastic retainer out, Fence gave the cure for that a few posts back. Make sure the wire is cut clean, and hold your mouth right. It helps to straighten the wire out, as well. I've had guys on the crew have these problems, but they get it squared away pretty quickly once they figure it out. The guts are stainless and ceramic. The blue plastic is a retainer and moisture barrier. I'm glad to replace any that are defective.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 09, 2018 6:07 am

ez14. wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

If you are poking the plastic retainer out, Fence gave the cure for that a few posts back. Make sure the wire is cut clean, and hold your mouth right. It helps to straighten the wire out, as well. I've had guys on the crew have these problems, but they get it squared away pretty quickly once they figure it out. The guts are stainless and ceramic. The blue plastic is a retainer and moisture barrier. I'm glad to replace any that are defective.

Thanks. I had it occur early on. I think I sent you a picture. Interesting, I have used them more often than not when running out of a spool before finishing a stretch.
0 x
Diogenes.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 09, 2018 1:44 pm

Never knew what hit him...
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed May 09, 2018 2:57 pm

greybeard wrote:Image

Never knew what hit him...

I love it when a plan comes together.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Thu May 10, 2018 6:00 am

so then eat it? or just the skin..ive seen the tail gets eaten but it looks like a blob of fat
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu May 10, 2018 6:20 am

Drug the nasty sob off to the back corner and left it.
"buzzards gotta eat...same as the worms".
0 x

Covet Not!

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 10, 2018 9:40 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
Bout time you figured it out. lol That Amazon seller is direct from Knipex in Germany. They take a hot minute to make it to your mailbox, but plenty cheap enough. The lifetime warranty is only good if you get them from an actual dealer, and I would sure think that the Amazon link would be good for that, but might be a hassle. The only broken tools I've had were used for jobs they weren't intended for by hired hands. The ol' squeeze and twist with the tips is hard on em. I'm still using my original set with no problems. They will get a little stiff when it gets humid, and the only good fix I've come up with it to freeze them for a few hours, and then use some light oil or gun oil on the pin. I don't know it to be fact, but it looks to me like they are fit to such a tight tollerance, it's hard to get them to take oil.
On a side note, the time that I ordered them from Amazon, I did so because we needed a dozen of them quick fast and in a hurry. We have a Prime account, so two days easy peasy. It kept spitting back an estimated delivery that was a few weeks out, so I clicked the mouse a little harder because that always works. Ended up with 3 or 4 seperate orders, but on the upside, we didn't run out of stock for a while.

Thanks I relayed the message... Now do you all know if they sell that pipe yall use for fencing in Virginia anywhere? I looked but haven't seen any.

I get the galvanized pipe straight from the mill. I can drop ship it right to you, and as long as you get a few bundles, the delivery charge is only $25.

I am interested in this what is a bundle? What are the pipe dimensions?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu May 10, 2018 9:47 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:
Thanks I relayed the message... Now do you all know if they sell that pipe yall use for fencing in Virginia anywhere? I looked but haven't seen any.

I get the galvanized pipe straight from the mill. I can drop ship it right to you, and as long as you get a few bundles, the delivery charge is only $25.

2-1/2", 3", and 4".

37 per bundle of 2-1/2" Has been running a little less than $2/ft
30 per bundle of 3" About $3/ft
19 per bundle of 4" About $4/ft

No additional charge for precut length of your choice.
Shoot me your quantites and zip, and I'll get it quoted for you.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Thu May 10, 2018 10:23 am

skyhightree1 wrote:

2-1/2", 3", and 4".

37 per bundle of 2-1/2" Has been running a little less than $2/ft
30 per bundle of 3" About $3/ft
19 per bundle of 4" About $4/ft

No additional charge for precut length of your choice.
Shoot me your quantites and zip, and I'll get it quoted for you.

Thanks I will definately do so
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu May 10, 2018 4:55 pm

If this forum had an easily accessed classified section, I'd think about telling everyone that the man that bought my old Shaver HD 12 skid steer mount post driver is done with his project, and ready to part ways with it of two and a half thousand bucks.......But there isn't any such easily accessed and convenient classified section, so I'll keep it to myself.
0 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”