Spraying Pond weeds

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Spraying Pond weeds

Postby greybeard » Sat May 12, 2018 9:25 pm

This fisherman don't know how close he is to certain death.
There's a set conibear right along the shoreline 5' in front of him.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun May 13, 2018 5:25 am

I hate the Blue Herrons - it's bad enough that they eat tons of minnows, but they will stab a large fish & it goes to waste. I have found many good size dead fish with a hole in them.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun May 13, 2018 6:31 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I hate the Blue Herrons - it's bad enough that they eat tons of minnows, but they will stab a large fish & it goes to waste. I have found many good size dead fish with a hole in them.

100% correct, nothing but a varmint worse than a Mexican buzzard.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sun May 13, 2018 8:06 pm

The herons are excellent locators of bait fish on the large lakes. Its foolish to ignore them when trying to locate bass or crappie. They can be a real nuisance on small ponds though. Another reason why some pond grass or equivalent is needed.

I have a good friend that calls the herons professionals. You ask him after a bass tournament where he caught his fish and he would state, I fished where the professionals were.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon May 14, 2018 1:03 am

I've never seen more than one or 'maybe' 2 of those herons on my place at any given time. The widest part of the pond isn't all that big, but the finger canals that lead into it have a lot of shoreline. All I've ever watched one catch is minnows and crawfish and an occasional frog and there's no shortage of any of those. I have lots and lots of grass on my pond, till you get out in the deeper part. I've watched one of them come coasting into the top of a big pine by my pond many evenings right before dark, I guess roosting for the night.
I guess I'll let him live unless he causes any problems other than sometimes pooping on the little dock.

Now, there are some long legged white birds that do seem to eat a lot, as I see crawfish shells and mussel or clam shells all over where they are, but again, I have so many fish and so much cover, I don't think they can put a dent in the population, and I have seen them with snakes in their beaks, which don't bother me one bit. good riddance.

My son is supposed to start bringing a couple of friends from work and start taking some of the bass out. I'm over-run with them and he's real good fishing those lilies and I ain't all that crazy about it.

I did hang a good sized choupique (some call 'em bowfin or grinnell) this morning. Not worth anything but the fight and he put up a tussel too. Hit a silver spoon, but they're liable to hit anything from cut shad to a crank bait to a live minnow or worm.
Last edited by greybeard on Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

Covet Not!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Mon May 14, 2018 7:15 am

We call them Mud fish here Greybeard. That's a prehistoric looking fish. A Mud fish is good eating if you cook it the day it's caught, otherwise it's like eating a piece of cotton.
And a Blue Heron is also called a night heron because they can fish at night. I've walked up to them and fixed them because they couldn't fly off with the 2+lb bass stuck in their throat. I'm not allowed to have any weeds or grass in or along my pond, my wife can't see the snakes.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon May 14, 2018 9:38 am

They must have taken this pic early spring or late fall..right now, the lily cover is almost 100% in the narrower parts, same with the grass.

I would like to get rid of some of it, but it would be a never ending thing with the lilies. They are on my nearest neighbor's place too and his drains into my place.

The other stuff down below the lilies, I don't know what is..you can see some of it down under.
0 x

Covet Not!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon May 14, 2018 10:26 am

I have a broken rake (no handle) that I tie to a rope & pull some of the under growth - works well but takes a lot of time.
0 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Mon May 14, 2018 3:20 pm

Greybeard, thats probably alligator weed. Invasive species.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... ..i&w=2112

My notes say to treat it with triclopyr. It may be water primrose. Primrose will have a yellow flower, Alligator weed flowers are white. Primrose is treated with glypho.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Tue May 15, 2018 7:02 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:I hate the Blue Herrons - it's bad enough that they eat tons of minnows, but they will stab a large fish & it goes to waste. I have found many good size dead fish with a hole in them.

Worse than a Mexican Buzzard Grit??? That is taking it a bit far LOL!
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue May 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Dogs and Cows wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Worse than a Mexican Buzzard Grit??? That is taking it a bit far LOL!

Buzzards don't hunt at night, and you can usually scare them away. A blue heron your going to have to deal with it, warning shots are just wasting ammo.
But your right I'd much rather loose a bass than a calf.
0 x

BC
GURU
GURU

Postby BC » Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 pm

greybeard wrote:They must have taken this pic early spring or late fall..right now, the lily cover is almost 100% in the narrower parts, same with the grass.

I would like to get rid of some of it, but it would be a never ending thing with the lilies. They are on my nearest neighbor's place too and his drains into my place.

The other stuff down below the lilies, I don't know what is..you can see some of it down under.

https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identi ... ater-lily/ You an click on the management options to find ways to get rid of it.
0 x

Atimm693
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Atimm693 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:30 pm

Stocking a few grass carp can control the weeds to an extent.
0 x

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Tue May 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Thats a good site BC. Thanks for posting that.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 16, 2018 9:54 am

BC wrote:
https://aquaplant.tamu.edu/plant-identi ... ater-lily/ You can click on the management options to find ways to get rid of it.

2,4d is one of their recommendations..I wonder if it makes any difference which form of 2,4d you use?
0 x

Covet Not!

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”