Spray Tank Question

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Spray Tank Question

Postby Soggy Bottom » Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 pm

How long can you leave chemical and water in a tank before it starts to hurt something. If I run out of time spraying and cant spray again for a few weeks and still have some solution left in the tank will it be ok? Thanks for the input.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Spray Tank Question

Postby M-5 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:13 pm

According to what your spraying. Some will form a film and stop up your strainers. I never have issues with gly in my 25 gal tank sometimes it might be several weeks between spraying.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Tue May 15, 2018 6:16 pm

The Chem.. Will be ok but the pump will need to be turned every day or so or oiled..
0 x
that awkward moment,when the zombies are searching for brains.and pass you by..

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Wed May 16, 2018 7:02 am

I use a single nozzle 100 gallon tank. I put a plastic M/F connector on the drain hose from the bottom of the tank and a plastic shutoff ball valve preceding the disconnect. Reason being I can either retain the contents in the tank and make the disconnect or when finished spraying, I can easily clean out and drain the tank for storage. This allows for servicing the pump with contents in the tank. My pump has 2 grease zerks which makes keeping it lubed easy.
0 x

Soggy Bottom
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Soggy Bottom » Wed May 16, 2018 7:48 am

The chemical in the tank is Grayzon P+D if that makes a difference.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed May 16, 2018 8:21 am

Soggy Bottom wrote:The chemical in the tank is Grayzon P+D if that makes a difference.

It’s an amine salt I guess eventually it would start working on the system.
I always spray and flush the system when I am finished.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed May 16, 2018 9:51 am

Texasmark wrote: My pump has 2 grease zerks which makes keeping it lubed easy.

Does that lube the roller area or just the shaft bearings?
It's usually in the wet section, where the rollers are that have problems when chemical is left in the pump for very long. I've left Remedy, 2,4-d, and gly in my tank for a couple 3 weeks when the weather turned bad in the middle of spraying, but always pull the pump off and rinse it out and if it's going to be very long, & turn the pump by hand to fill it with oil or RV antifreeze to inhibit corrosion. I made up a short hose with quick connects to match the pump inlet/outlet, connect one end of the hose to the inlet, pour in & fill the pump with oil/af and then connect the other end of the hose to the outlet of the pump. It stays like that in the shop most of the offseason, with me occasionally just turning the pump by hand when I think about it or see it hanging there.

Leaving chemical in the tank for a long time, some foul looking and smelling stuff will grow in there if the tank allows any kind of sunlight thru.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Wed May 16, 2018 4:19 pm

On what gets greased, don't know. just 2 sets of moving parts and 2 zerks. I bought it well used by a BTO back in early 1990 and even though it drips a bit, it works fine.
0 x

Return to “Trucks, Tractors and Machinery”