Missing momma on mommas day

The place to start if you are new!
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Missing momma on mommas day

Postby snoopdog » Sun May 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Image Well, after a little tribulation, got the babies separated and moved to the homeplace , let the serenade begin .
2 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

M-5
GURU
GURU

Re: Missing momma on mommas day

Postby M-5 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:12 am

I heard the same song last night .
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Txpiney » Mon May 14, 2018 2:52 pm

How smooth was it this time, at least a little easier???
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Mon May 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Txpiney wrote:How smooth was it this time, at least a little easier???
I had help scheduled sat morning ,and the cows didn't like the looks of the one ton and trailer , so went back that evening in my s10, drove up in the field and they couldn't wait to get in the corral . Separated , by myself (kudos to me for corral design) insert dancing banana , drove home ,got the hauler , and thank goodness my cousin was home , who is a great hand. We gave second round , steered and tagged in about an hour . Had a little trouble loading in the trailer , (Im not finished with the load out chute , so the way we did it had the sun in their eyes , on me) but they are almost settled down . I walked through them this evening and by tomorrow , i figure all heads down eating . I know it's hard to tell , but some of the boys are real bruisers. I am pretty proud of em, probably the best bunch we've had here .
0 x

angus9259
GURU
GURU

Postby angus9259 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Never a fun process however...
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Mon May 14, 2018 8:59 pm

We will be doing that within the next 2-3 weeks. Got 15 at one place and about 34-35 at another....
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue May 15, 2018 2:09 am

They do look good!
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Txpiney » Tue May 15, 2018 7:44 am

snoopdog wrote:
Txpiney wrote:How smooth was it this time, at least a little easier???
I had help scheduled sat morning ,and the cows didn't like the looks of the one ton and trailer , so went back that evening in my s10, drove up in the field and they couldn't wait to get in the corral . Separated , by myself (kudos to me for corral design) insert dancing banana , drove home ,got the hauler , and thank goodness my cousin was home , who is a great hand. We gave second round , steered and tagged in about an hour . Had a little trouble loading in the trailer , (Im not finished with the load out chute , so the way we did it had the sun in their eyes , on me) but they are almost settled down . I walked through them this evening and by tomorrow , i figure all heads down eating . I know it's hard to tell , but some of the boys are real bruisers. I am pretty proud of em, probably the best bunch we've had here .

Glad it went well. I never pull my trailer either when I'm going to pen, work or load them. I don't change ANYTHING from when I just bring them in the pen to cube them because they know it's something different. The older ones are the first to alert if anything is out of the normal routine. It's a pain, but it's pretty flawless. Them calves do look nice. Give em about 3 days and the bawling wil stop and it's back to quite.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue May 15, 2018 10:43 am

They look really good and plenty of grass too!!
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

gcreekrch
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby gcreekrch » Wed May 16, 2018 1:11 pm

Nice calves!

Do a lot of folks not castrate until they are that age? Find it way easier to band at birth here.
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Txpiney
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Txpiney » Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 pm

gcreekrch wrote:Nice calves!

Do a lot of folks not castrate until they are that age? Find it way easier to band at birth here.

Normally, the only time I band is when I work them in the spring, then in the fall
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed May 16, 2018 5:40 pm

Txpiney wrote:

Normally, the only time I band is when I work them in the spring, then in the fall

We used to band day 1 or 2, castrate the ones we missed when we worked them at appx 3 months. But with my husband out of commission it's generally just me and I pick my battles so all are banded with an XL bander when I have a crew working them, again at 3 months. Anything cryptorchid or considerably older gets cut.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Thu May 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Thank You , and we used to band at birth , circumstances didn't allow it this time . I don't think I will again. I believe that they benefit , as far as ww goes , from being boys awhile , now, I don't know where the diminishing returns fall. Our situation here this year was unique and this was as fast as we could get it done . Hopefully , next year we can plan our work and work our plan . If we don't get too many curve balls .
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”